The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool oh geez I sent in my first entry!! Update~ WE WON!!!

Ok here we go...prepare yourself!
    I've had a lifelong respect (read fear) of solid obstacles. I bought my mare 10 years ago, she is a brave go-getter on a stadium course, too much so sometimes as we have had waaay too eager fences and few moments of scaring spectators!! The moments where one of us gets the team to an ugly spot but she still feels its her job to go, even if I want to abort mission... She's a good sport let me tell you! The moral of that story is the fear is in me, not her, but I trust her and she was bred for eventing and her siblings and such have rocked it in the big rings.

Well, we recently took up dressage pretty much full time, and really enjoy it (read we're winning lol). So while competing at a wonderful facility last month, an eventing barnmate of mine was helping out and mentioned that she really liked the facility and was somewhat jealous of the overnight stabling options. I found out that they are holding a 2 3/4 phase next month and suggested she attend...and that's when she returned the suggestion.

Moment of hesitation...

I said YES!!! What was I thinking??? I went schooling that weekend for the first time over some stuff I would never have thought I would do in my life and LOVED IT!!! Turns out I hopped over some (much) larger than needed fences. I didn't realize that some elements wouldn't be asked for in my division, but damn it it did them! Ditches, drops, banks lol I started thinking that WE were bred for this. Ok, mild exaggeration since I still don't think that I want to hit Badminton but she stills thinks it's a possibility! No joke, she looks/acts a 1/3 of her age!

I'm going to do the tiny tripping hazard division of 2'3" so I don't soil myself in the crosscountry phase haha. My mare just turned 20 this last March and never got the opportunity to live her dream. Clearly I'm not getting any younger so my plan is to kill it in dressage, trot the crosscountry (eager-beaver may have a different plan!!) and hope we have enough energy for the stadium since I KNOW I will be running on pure adrenalin!

I might actually get there and think I should be in a higher division, but that gives me a goal for next year right?
    Last edited by pacificprima; Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    If you think I am high maintenance, you should meet my horse!

2 members found this post helpful.

Good luck!! I too have had a fear of anything outside of an arena...( rode racehorses, go figure, but they also use rails!!) lol I've entered my first BN mini-trial for two weeks from now. Luckily I'll be riding a super bomb proof type mare that's new to eventing but done it all. Maybe we will catch the bug too?!

Oh Lord, I feel your excitement/trepidation! You have committed!! It will fun. You will be among friends!

I can't wait to see you there! Honestly, I just came over to the dark side this year, and was scared of any and all jumping. My heart fluttered at setting up a 6" xrail... You should DEFINITELY come out more, but this one will be a great intro

Thanks guys! I've started the count down
    Can't wait to let you know how we do!!

Southlands 2 2/3 Phase? I just send my entry in as well! I'll be there rocking out the senior starter division on my baby brained 8 year old.

First event back after 4 years! So stoked.

You staying overnight or hauling back and forth?

That's the one! We'll be giving you some serious competition in that division!! In the dressage anyway....had a bit of a rough jumping school last night.
    She'll be stabled, I'm still undecided if I'm sleeping in the tent/trailer. My ride times might dictate the decision lol

Hahaha! My goal of the weekend is to stay on and not be eliminated. I'm sure you guys are going to rock it!

I'll be there in my little ghetto tent taking care of a few beasties, maybe I'll see you around!

It is perfectly ok to sit in the start box and think "oh my lord in heaven, what the hell have I done?" It is also ok to think... the entire way around XC.... "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" You will want to go again as soon as you cross the finish line! I also trotted my entire first XC course.

1 members found this post helpful.

At IEA this weekend a girl went around xc saying "It's just a fence. It's JUST a fence." Was she talking to her horse or herself????

relax and think about doing it for your girl and her late life bucket list! Tune into her ears and let her talk to you! You'll forget about everything else.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I trotted my whole XC course at mt cheam in April, to the tune of 85 time penalties even though I've now down 4 (!) events since then, I'm still petrified before stadium and XC, and I have a push button slow poke over fences!

You're going to have such a blast!

Just remember... it's supposed to be FUN! Not stressful! So when you're getting all worked up before each phase, just remember how lucky you are to be out there at all! You better be smiling!

And, of course, be sure to give us a full report.

FABULOUS x country school today!!! B-) but there will not be a trot option lol. Too much enthusiasm from both of us! Not complaining, we jumped everything, just might have to roll with it.

And if any of the girls who were schooling around us today log on, you guys looked great too! Good luck everyone!

Anyone who is camping know where we are able to do that? They are using the track as part of the course so parking will be...? Kinda messed with my plans there!

You guys are so lucky to be on the main land. I am on a budget so I have to add in the cost of taking the ferry back and forth at the tune of $150 both ways.

I haven't done a event since '04 and then the early '90s before that. I want to get my guy out and to more places. We are so limited here on the island. No real place to school till the hay comes off the fields.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pacificprima View Post
    Anyone who is camping know where we are able to do that? They are using the track as part of the course so parking will be...? Kinda messed with my plans there!
    The camping is basically right next to the stalls. Trailers are parked out on the road if I remeber correctly.

The parking will be a little different from what we are used to for the dressage shows!

Now for a fashion question
    I don't really want to wear my whites for x country but am not able to pull my boots on/ off... especially after a course!. I was going to get the zippers put in but left it too long :/ Will I stand out as the girl formerly from hunter land turned dressage queen now cross country bunny if I wear my khaki breeches and navy jacket for stadium? Or even my delicious tan jacket? Should I wear a stock for stadium even if I'm not wearing white breeches? And what if I wear my white breeches with tan coat? Stock tie appropriate or not due to dark color formalities?
    Ps I love how I'm not even remotely worried about my x country course but I'm worried about looking my best

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by pacificprima; Jun. 7, 2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Forgot something :)

You don't have to worry about matchy matchy etc. Whatever works for you.

Now here's a truth: The anticipation is worse than the actual activity.

Once you are on the center line, in the start box, nerves will all disappear and you will focus on the job in hand with all your capabilities. Then it is fun.

This I know! Done it.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by pacificprima View Post
    The parking will be a little different from what we are used to for the dressage shows!

Now for a fashion question
    I don't really want to wear my whites for x country but am not able to pull my boots on/ off... especially after a course!. I was going to get the zippers put in but left it too long :/ Will I stand out as the girl formerly from hunter land turned dressage queen now cross country bunny if I wear my khaki breeches and navy jacket for stadium? Or even my delicious tan jacket? Should I wear a stock for stadium even if I'm not wearing white breeches? And what if I wear my white breeches with tan coat? Stock tie appropriate or not due to dark color formalities?
    Ps I love how I'm not even remotely worried about my x country course but I'm worried about looking my best

Thanks everyone!
    Hahah, I love to look good at a show too (traumatized youth in ratty hand-me downs).

You will look fine and very smart in your navy or tan coat and tan breeches in stadium. I personally would wear either a colored stock tie (like pale blue?) or a "hunter" shirt instead of a white stock tie, in that case.

If you wear white breeches, I would wear the black (?) dressage coat OR the navy coat, and then I think the white stock would be fine.

I also often run XC in white breeches, sometimes I just keep them on for all three phases. Really muddy days or two-days with XC last, I might switch out for my gray Kerrits.

This past weekend I rocked my new dove gray FITS with my maroon pikeur, with my gray and maroon trimmed/ embroidered saddle pad for dressage. It didn't help my riding any (came off in stadium) but we looked like stars! http://tinypic.com/r/30nc95w/5

I also wear my whites for XC sometimes -- ends up looking crisp! Wear whatever you want that makes you feel good -- the entry just said "formal attire appreciated". Any sort of jacket/colour combo will be nice, and on your tall slim frame, you'll look fabulous in anything!

I wear a navy jacket with white breeches and white stock tie, with a navy pad, and lately I've worn my whites for xc too.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=4a0a026ca1

Baxtersmom~ did you know that I have colored stocks??? LOVE them! Soft pink with a faint darker pink windowpane, medium blue with a check/plaid pattern and a soft satin creamy peach : D Your jacket is phenomenal btw! Gorgeous! I think I also want to give you a standing ovation for quarter marks... It's the one thing that we will never have the princess is grey.

Normandy~ you crack me up! I do love the idea of crisp... I'm itching to wear the tan coat with white breeches and blue stock but I think it might be a hair dark against the light majority. You may be subjected to a fashion show lol SO excited to be stabled next to you and Moo!