The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://www.cmnh.org/site/Files/media/fowleri.au
    Here is one that is close. The ones we have are higher pitched. At first we thought it was a woman screaming!!!
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

I can't get any QT files to play

Definitely not a cat bird, not any small bird. If it's a bird, it would have to be a big one because of the depth of the tone of this sound.

I looked up frog sounds, not the fowleri for sure - not nearly deep enough or gargly enough.

The Wood Frog was closer, but much too quick - what I heard was more drawn out and deeper
    http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC...l/Ran_syl.html

All the frog sounds I found there were too high-pitched and quick.

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/Frogquiz/index.cfm

I think this index should take you to a NC list of calling frogs. It's the easiest place I have found for learning the names and sounds- because how can you look something up if you don't know what it's called!!??

I don't know all your NC frogs- but I would suggest Southern leopard Frog and Pickerel Frog as very low frequency frog calls... they are kind of like slow creaking doors or snoring.

Yep, I listened to the SLF and the PF and neither are remotely right The tone is lower enough to be more like it, but the overall sound is very wrong.

Oh well - maybe I'll hear it again and can grab my video camera which would capture the sound at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    When we first moved out here we heard a noise and my husband commented that he hadn't realized that we could hear the BC ferries so far inland - turned out to be those invasive bullfrogs ...we got rid of them.
    Why would you want to get rid of the bullfrogs???
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    Fawn mewing (and annoying lady asking it annoying questions)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-i2g3Bwjs
    Would the sound of me strangling that woman underwater in the above link be about right, OP?
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    Why would you want to get rid of the bullfrogs???
    I know, and there's her signature about being in the 'hate to kill wildlife clique'. I cannot fathom anyone getting rid of a population of wildlife - since when are bullfrogs invasive? They're bullfrogs. They make baby bullfrogs and plop in the water. Even if they were for some reason at a high level of population, just wait, you'll get some snakes and they'll be back to being a good level of population again. You do't 'get rid of' species on your land, sheesh.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    I know, and there's her signature about being in the 'hate to kill wildlife clique'. I cannot fathom anyone getting rid of a population of wildlife - since when are bullfrogs invasive? They're bullfrogs. They make baby bullfrogs and plop in the water. Even if they were for some reason at a high level of population, just wait, you'll get some snakes and they'll be back to being a good level of population again. You do't 'get rid of' species on your land, sheesh.
    http://bullfrogcontrol.com/

Actually, Foxtrot is doing the right thing. Those bullfrogs are an introduced species that like to eat smaller, native endangered British Columbia frogs. By getting rid of those bullfrogs she is helping endangered frogs.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

find a Night Heron call online

holy crap Tom, you might be right!!
    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/B...t-Heron/sounds

the "hoarse scream" is really, REALLY close!

Mystery solved? Way to go Tom King!
    We have Great Blue Herons, Green Herons, and the occasional Night Heron at our pond or on the river. I've always associated their calls with a water feature. But what do I know?
    And, is it just me or did anyone else listen to the Night Heron's call and think-gee that sounds an awful lot like a fox ?

Did you check your water troughs for barn cats? lol

Leaf, I absolutely thought some of those sounds were very fox-like!

It seems odd I'd have heard that at 9:30am-ish, but I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility.

CZF - I should have been! lol

JB, I also thought the time frame was a little off for a fox, but...that's my vote for now.

A sick/dying sub-adult 'coon can make some weird, what-is-that noises.

Have you walked the area? Listened for flies and smelled for dead stink.

It's not remotely off for a fox this time of year, I have learned. For about 2 months though we have been regularly hearing a female calling in our back woods, and I've watched her trot right across the pasture well before noon She's the reason the chickens are not allowed out now when we aren't home But, I was really talking about the heron, as "night heron" and its description seem to imply it's very much a dusk and dawn bird

I haven't walked that area, as the woods were the sound came from is VERY heavily wooded and not really penetrable very far this time of year.