The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default West Coast Horses Headed to Verden? Vitalis Highest US Score Ever!

Not sure if anyone saw this - but our West Coast Young Horses are doing quite well - Charlotte Jorst and Vitalis pulled off a 9.19 in the 6 YO Class - highest score EVER in the US! I've seen them ride at clinics, and this horse is incredible. Her coach is a local guy too!
    http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=21412

Then YR Ashlyn DeGroot (of DG Bar) qualified in their 2nd show - she and the horse have hardly shown at all! And to make this one even sweeter, guess who is coaching them? Yep, Willy is back on the show circuit
    http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=21437

Just had to brag about our West Coast ponies!

4 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations to both !

Ashlyn's win on Dalina DG is especially terrific since the horse was bred in the US. Thank you DG Bar !
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I watched Vitalis go twice, in his 6 year old test and then yesterday at second level. Everyone was abuzz and gravitated over to the ring to watch him. Lovely horse and rider. About that name, though...

I, too, was surprised to see Willy Arts there, looking good as new. That is one lucky guy!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

The first article about Charlotte's win needed a better author. Who cares if her test was in "a small affluent community?" Really? Like I care? I want more details on the ride itself. The bottom picture was impressive!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Velvet, I agree, the articles are not well written - but the horses are fabulous! And Bristol - I was happy to see Willy pictured! He is one tough guy!

Velvet, you might want to read your own disclaimer.

I do remember the walk as being effusively praised by the judge. That picture is the medium trot, by the way.
    A helmet saved my life.

the bottom photo of Vitalis is from last year in Germany - where he was placed 6th in the consolation finals at the World Championships for Young Horses.
    It seems the DG bar folks will NOT be sending their mare to Verden, but Charlotte does plan to go.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2013 Reserve Champion Westfalen Pony Stallion Licensing

i was super excited that "we" (aka the US and the west coast in particular) had a horse/rider combo pull off such a great score... but then i read that the horse was imported in 2012, the rider was imported a while back - and the trainer too!

still a great score and really cool - but not sure i would say this is a "west coast brag"

5 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Velvet, you might want to read your own disclaimer.

I do remember the walk as being effusively praised by the judge. That picture is the medium trot, by the way.
    That response was just absurd. My sig is for a forum. That wannabe writer/journalist is inept and needs to go back to school. Accepting poor journalism from bad professional is like giving a beginning rider at First Level who signs up for a PSG test a 60% score just for trying. It would be stupid and unfair to those who are actually at that level. And in this case, it's unfair to those who have worked hard to earn similar money and write much better.

The dumbing down of reporting and journalism does not help anyone.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i was super excited that "we" (aka the US and the west coast in particular) had a horse/rider combo pull off such a great score... but then i read that the horse was imported in 2012, the rider was imported a while back - and the trainer too!

still a great score and really cool - but not sure i would say this is a "west coast brag"

Well, I look at it this way - we are ALL imports - how many native Americans do you see in dressage? Or Mustang horses (which are really imports too - from Spain). Our Olympic riders are mostly European transplants - but they are still OUR team. The Warmbloods we breed here are from imported stock, we use imported semen. But they are our horses. So I'm still thrilled for them!

sure, but the horse was not born here, it was born in EU and imported last year. it was already doing well in young horse classes.

and the rider was not born of imported stock either she is an import - as is her trainer.

so i think it would be correct to say

"Imports to West Coast Headed To Verden"?

it is super great the score they got - but it is not a feather that "we" get to put in our cap... that feather belongs to the EU for producing the horse, rider and trainer!

Yeah, color me unimpressed by a rich person importing a top young horse from Europe and doing well at a young horse competition in California. Certainly nothing American to brag about

Wow. Charlotte has lived in the US since 1986, and been a citizen since the mid 90's. She started with nothing and developed a great company, and earned all she has. She is also an AMATEUR. She had done all her training in the U.S. She is also a great person. I am proud of her.

8 members found this post helpful.

I agree that it is a super combination of horse and rider and glad to have a horse of the quality of Vitalis here. But I am also in the camp that 'we' (the USA) can take no credit. The horse has been here less than 7 months and was a superstar in europe already. We should count ourselves lucky though that we have riders with great ambition and the financial ability to get the needed quality of horse and training in order to help move our international competition presence further along.

DG Bar has already said they won't be sending the horse to Verden - instead focusing on the USA championships. They've been down this road before and know what it's like on the other side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Yeah, color me unimpressed by a rich person importing a top young horse from Europe and doing well at a young horse competition in California. Certainly nothing American to brag about
    Actually, when you think about it, it's very American.

Velvet, it just amazes me that you would pick on the writer for describing the venue. La Canada-Flintridge is an unusual name for a town. The riding club is next to and leases out property to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. But because it's long and odd, news media types always just say it's in Pasadena, so no one outside the area would ever hear of it. People in La Canada-Flintridge are really sensitive about this, as I'm sure the reporter was aware. He got it right. The article is not a blow-by-blow of her rides. I'm sure you can find a video somewhere. I just don't get why the knot in your sphincter about your basic feature article.
    A helmet saved my life.

2 members found this post helpful.

The "German" trainer has been in the US since '81 - perhaps his children's children will be considered "American"

As it's so easy to ride a going horse, can't imagine what the issue is with a certain dark horse & rider ...

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh how true!

I think it's great that people are out there doing what they love and being successful, I just don't think bragging about this horse says anything about America.

And I see no evidence that Charlotte started from "nothing"? She came to the US with her husband working as upper management for Carlsburg, she went to a top business school in Europe. Sure they built their own business and sold it for loads of $$, but how did she start from "nothing"?

Pretty horse!

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    The "German" trainer has been in the US since '81 - perhaps his children's children will be considered "American"

As it's so easy to ride a going horse, can't imagine what the issue is with a certain dark horse & rider ...
    Yes, and his wife is American (and also a trainer), and his children were born here. I consider them Americans!

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    Wow. Charlotte has lived in the US since 1986, and been a citizen since the mid 90's. She started with nothing and developed a great company, and earned all she has. She is also an AMATEUR. She had done all her training in the U.S. She is also a great person. I am proud of her.
    Me too! A little envious Not sure I'd say she started with nothing - but she's done a lot, worked hard, picked good trainers and good horses. I read somewhere that our US Team needed people willing to pay for talented horses - well here we have it!

And it is the way of many of our successful riders! Steffan relocated here from Germany - and where did he get Ravel - and since a sponsor bought the horse, it is different? Brentina was imported. Reality is - those with high level aspirations shop all over the world for top horses. I am thrilled that someone had the money and ability to import a young talent like Vitalis. And since he is a stallion, maybe we can hope for future stars bred right here in the US. I'd love to see more US bred horses go to the top, but I'm also happy to see US riders picking top horses.

And - although this horse is a talent - he was a 5 year old talent - she didn't import a horse who was already GP, or even FEI level. So she's still got a lot of riding, training, and work to do. I think she deserves some kudos and congrats And I look forward to watching them continue to grow!

Oh, fine... She started from the middle LOL

Love the horse!

Can someone tell me just HOW much of the equation has to be American? Like is it okay if I am American but trainer is German and my horse is Dutch? Or does both horse and rider have to be American with a Euro trainer? Or do we need to see birth cert on all (animal and people) to be considered an "American" product?

Okay, and then just how poor do I have to be again to have started from the bottom? I mean do I have to have lived homeless like a year or so? What about if I lost my job at some point? Does that count?

In all seriousness though, no I dont consider an import already going to be an American product BUT I do consider this to be a "West Coast" team. So GO WEST COST TEAM!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/