The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

My oldest daughter started Gluten free about 2 months ago, she's lost an amazing amount of weight and has never felt as good as she does now. She was a vegetarian (then added chicken) and has always eaten organic, but this is something totally different. I've never seen her the way she is now. She's 27 by the way. I havent tried it yet, but getting closer....

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm with others who said that eating meal regularly, at each meal if you can, makes a HUGE difference. I feel way, way better when I just plain eat protein on a regular basis...

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    I have eggs and an orange for breakfast. Tuna mixed with plain yogurt, a blend of herbs, celery, red peppers, sliced tomato and carrot for lunch. Basically non-fat diet all day. No processed foods, no starches or breads.

I just can't seem to stop the 4:00 attack.
    Girl, you NEED fat. It makes ALL the difference. Whole milk, full-fat cheese, cottage cheese, eat them liberally. The fat keeps you satisfied. Are you eating enough protein?

4 members found this post helpful.

Yes on the protein. On Sparkpeople, my percentage of protein is always higher than their 'ideal' and my carbs are always lower. I think I need more fat to make up for the lack of carb calories. I wish I liked nuts better. Well, I like almonds...if they're covered in dark chocolate.
    Ride like you mean it.

I was on Atkins for 3+ months. Lost 25 pounds. I felt like you do. Energy, my mind worked well, I was not ruled by food -- and I was losing weight, to boot!

I wanted to lose 15 more pounds, then one day about 10 days ago, I woke up and CRAVED carbs. It was like a light had just been switched on (or off). I had none in the house, so I made it though the morning, but I had to go to the store in the afternoon, and I was physically salivating. My hands shook and all of the good feeling and resolve dissolved.

I have now been fighting with myself for 10 days. It is a real effort to not eat carbs (especially at night) and I keep "cheating". The best part of the last 3 months was that I did not WANT to eat sugar or carbs. So it was easy.

What changed? I am too old to have PMS. Nothing emotional happened in my life. I just had a brain switch which turned me back into the way I use to be.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I am still trying to sort out my 'new' diet after being allergy tested. The blood test showed positive for so many things, there is no way I would have eliminated the right things. I got tested only because I thought I had a wheat allergy, that was the tip of the iceberg.
    The only grain I am not allergic to is corn. So gluten free for me now anyway. Also allergic to soy, all nuts except for pecans, tomatoes, peanuts, blah blah blah. I am NOT allergic to dairy though (and over the last year I had given up dairy milk for almond milk, only turns out I"m allergic to almonds). Sigh.

I've read that these blood tests are not accurate, but I am eating like they are for the moment. I have had IBS for almost my whole life, it is so much better now. A rash on my leg which would not go away for over a year is now gone. I'm hoping between dietary changes and the allergy shots (environmental) I started two months ago that I will get rid of a lot of the chronic 'yuk' I've been feeling.

So gluten free is good, but you may want to look deeper as well, I was eating so many things that my body was not happy with, there is no way I would have known what to cut out without these tests.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I cut out all grains, processed foods and sugar starting February 7th of this year. To date I have lost about 21 lbs and have never felt better.

It was hard for the first week, now it's the easiest "diet" I've ever been on in my life. (I don't think of it as a diet).

I am rarely hungry and now I eat only 2 or 3 meals per day (no snacks - don't need them!) whereas before I was eating at least 6 times and still being hungry.

I do eat some dairy (cheese and cream).

I feel horrible if I indulge in a big dessert. Cravings come back, bloating, crankiness. I seem to be able to tolerate small amounts of sugar (honey or maple syrup) without a huge reaction.

The hardest part is just the social aspect; it seems nearly impossible to stay away from grain and sugar without offending someone! And then you choose a nice fatty piece of meat instead of a dinner roll and someone comments about "fattening" foods...arg. Leave me alone with my steak&cheese salad, please & thanks!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Sorry for being AWOL Kim but I did the market Saturday and then trimmed both yesterday and today. I went on vacation last week for a wedding and now am paying for it.

I'm still eating mostly Paleo and I had a similar experience to Kim after doing it. It was simply unreal. I was already gluten free as I have Celiac but had been eating all the wheat substitutes....and they also make you fat and bloated...not as bad as wheat does...but still have negative effects.

I have a farrier client who has really bad ulcerative colitis..like nearly died from it bad. She was prescribed 8 pills of something a day that cost her $1000 a month just to be able to get out of bed and sort of function. She's not been able to work for a while and usually looks like death warmed over when I come out to trim her paint.

So I have tried for months to talk her into going wheat free/paleo and she'd just sort of blow it off. I didn't push beyond mentioning it and how much better I felt but I did what I could to educate her as to why wheat can cause her condition and keep her bowel inflamed and add to her misery.

I went out to her place today to trim and she bounced out of her house, was glowing and happy and practically gave me a hug. She thanked me for not giving up on her and told me that she finally tried giving up wheat. She said after two weeks off of wheat she is like a new person and has been able to cut back half on her meds to only costing her $500 a month. I suspect given time to heal...a gut takes time to heal...she may be able to get off meds altogether. She sees her doctor tomorrow and was so excited to be able to tell him how much better she feels and why. That made my day..maybe my week. :-)

I want to know WHY doctors aren't telling people to get off garbage like modern wheat with 50 times the gluten of wheat varieties of the past, literally physically addictive acting like an opiate to your brain, and there are plenty of true scientific studies showing just how bad it is for us and how it's implicated in many autoimmune problems like hers. She said no doctor has even suggested testing her for gluten sensitivity at all...that's malpractice...seriously. They'd rather put her on pills costing her thousands than look for a root cause. It really disgusts me and reminds me of my own experiences with doctors who blew off my symptoms for years until I found out what the cause was by paying for my own tests.

Anyway...sorry for the rant but it makes me crazy to see stuff like this.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I was on Atkins for 3+ months. Lost 25 pounds. I felt like you do. Energy, my mind worked well, I was not ruled by food -- and I was losing weight, to boot!

I wanted to lose 15 more pounds, then one day about 10 days ago, I woke up and CRAVED carbs. It was like a light had just been switched on (or off). I had none in the house, so I made it though the morning, but I had to go to the store in the afternoon, and I was physically salivating. My hands shook and all of the good feeling and resolve dissolved.

I have now been fighting with myself for 10 days. It is a real effort to not eat carbs (especially at night) and I keep "cheating". The best part of the last 3 months was that I did not WANT to eat sugar or carbs. So it was easy.

What changed? I am too old to have PMS. Nothing emotional happened in my life. I just had a brain switch which turned me back into the way I use to be.
    It's possible you have a sensitivity to a food additive that you came into contact with unknowingly, which triggered the cravings... then it kind of snowballs, sometimes.

I would just try to keep the carbs limited to veggies, some fruits, a little bit of potato/sweet potato. You don't need to throw it all out the window just because you feel like you're "cheating". Hang in there!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by theblondejumper View Post
    Girl, you NEED fat. It makes ALL the difference. Whole milk, full-fat cheese, cottage cheese, eat them liberally. The fat keeps you satisfied. Are you eating enough protein?
    Real yogurt (ie made from actual milk and sweetened with actual sugar and fruit, not fake sweeteners). I "hate" yogurt, until I tried several varieties of Greek yogurt and found ones I'll eat (Oikos in Key Lime and coffee--I can't stand non-citrus or sweet citrus fruit flavors) which I make myself eat for breakfast because it's easier than cooking an egg every morning. It's a lot more satisfying than the regular yogurts and doesn't have the slimy texture of the "100 Calorie" diet yogurts. Large curd cottage cheese is another good dairy that feels like really eating food. I can't do nonfat dairy (except milk for cereal and coffee; I hate regular milk) because the texture just feels wrong (because it is.)

Also cannot gag down fake butters/butter substitutes for anything. Yes, I can in fact completely believe it's not butter. I'm not even sure it's organic (as in carbon-based.)

Ok I have a question, why is wheat bad for you? All I keep hearing is about eating whole wheat and grains.
    This sounds pretty doable if you are eating at home, but what about going out to eat? Ruby Tuesdays salad bar only goes so far and none of the meat at most restaurants is organic (Chipolte being an exception and even then I think it depends on the area)
    Here is why I ask, I have scoliosis and my guts are never happy. I am more than willin to give it a try but I have to spend the next 7 weeks in a hotel with no microwave and fridge. This means eating out 3 meals a day. I also hate breakfast, it usually upsets my stomach. So I genearlly skip it and eat a snack around 9-10am (I start work at 7am and am up before 6)
    So if you had to eat out 3 meals a day, what would you eat?
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Also cannot gag down fake butters/butter substitutes for anything. Yes, I can in fact completely believe it's not butter. I'm not even sure it's organic (as in carbon-based.)

I always say, "I CAN believe it's industrial strength axle grease!" Stuff's foul.

My husband likes Country Crock. Crock of $hit, I say.

3 members found this post helpful.

Much of what is discussed here is the "South Beach Diet". Cut out sugars, "white foods" such as rice, potatoes, flour, high sugar fruits and veggies plus processed meats. Have done that several times and lost weight plus felt better. Amazing all the sugar in our diet.
    South Beach has really good recipes plus dining out guides. Outback is great, salad with oil/vinegar plus grilled chicken or salmon or steak without sauce plus double order of veggies again no sauce. Every Outback has been more than accommodating. Of course I really love their bread and have to be strong and decline.

Several years ago was given a standard allergy test and reacted to everything, as in everything. Did a little research and learned this is not uncommon. Suggestion is to vary the meats and veggies.

My downfall is chocolate, in almost any form but especially a good cake. . .
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post

Wow, That is interesting. Dang, Well I can only hope that does not happen.
    Are you eating lots of veggies? even throw in a potato now and then?
    Crap if that happens to me I will be really bummed, cause as of right now it is a bit over 3 months, and still no desire for any of that.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I always say, "I CAN believe it's industrial strength axle grease!" Stuff's foul.

My husband likes Country Crock. Crock of $hit, I say.
    You know what they say, its a few molecules different from PLASTIC!
    AGH~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

There could have been another trigger that sparked the intense craving for carbs that resulted in eating them, but I see it as an addict having a relapse. I use that analogy because as a society we are literally addicted to carbs. The sharp spikes and dips in blood sugar plays a role, and the fact that nearly every food venue and advertisement is centered around a carb heavy diet. Usually, if you get over the initial hump of ditching carbs you're alright. As you will kind of forget about them, feel better on your new diet, and just even out. However, you could relapse just as anyone could on a previous addiction.

That's how I see it, anyway.

This is more likely to happen if you don't eat enough, especially proteins and fat. Or let yourself get too hungry/let your blood sugar drop too much. Then you're searching for a quick fix and your old stand by was something carb heavy, so you revert.

I'm just amazed at people who lose so much weight by eating "gluten free"...seriously, what were they eating before? I've cut out gluten a few times, for several months at a time, and really didn't lose any weight. Maybe a pound or two, but that's all. I guess maybe I don't eat a lot of gluten to begin with, but it makes me wonder what other people are eating so much of that eliminating gluten causes them to lose 20+ lbs?

(Although I was at Olive Garden a while back with my mom and could not believe the size of some of the customers, and eating the "never ending pasta bowl" Yikes!)

As far as the Atkins diet, I have had friends who did it and found that they could not exercise on that diet - in particular, runners were really unable to find the energy to run. LH - maybe that is what happened to you - your body used extra fat stores to give you energy, and at a certain point, it just wasn't enough to keep you energized through the day?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    There could have been another trigger that sparked the intense craving for carbs that resulted in eating them, but I see it as an addict having a relapse. I use that analogy because as a society we are literally addicted to carbs. The sharp spikes and dips in blood sugar plays a role, and the fact that nearly every food venue and advertisement is centered around a carb heavy diet. Usually, if you get over the initial hump of ditching carbs you're alright. As you will kind of forget about them, feel better on your new diet, and just even out. However, you could relapse just as anyone could on a previous addiction.

That's how I see it, anyway.

This is more likely to happen if you don't eat enough, especially proteins and fat. Or let yourself get too hungry/let your blood sugar drop too much. Then you're searching for a quick fix and your old stand by was something carb heavy, so you revert.
    That probably about sums it up.
    And yes All those processed carbs are really addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Sorry for being AWOL Kim but I did the market Saturday and then trimmed both yesterday and today. I went on vacation last week for a wedding and now am paying for it.

I'm still eating mostly Paleo and I had a similar experience to Kim after doing it. It was simply unreal. I was already gluten free as I have Celiac but had been eating all the wheat substitutes....and they also make you fat and bloated...not as bad as wheat does...but still have negative effects.

I have a farrier client who has really bad ulcerative colitis..like nearly died from it bad. She was prescribed 8 pills of something a day that cost her $1000 a month just to be able to get out of bed and sort of function. She's not been able to work for a while and usually looks like death warmed over when I come out to trim her paint.

So I have tried for months to talk her into going wheat free/paleo and she'd just sort of blow it off. I didn't push beyond mentioning it and how much better I felt but I did what I could to educate her as to why wheat can cause her condition and keep her bowel inflamed and add to her misery.

I went out to her place today to trim and she bounced out of her house, was glowing and happy and practically gave me a hug. She thanked me for not giving up on her and told me that she finally tried giving up wheat. She said after two weeks off of wheat she is like a new person and has been able to cut back half on her meds to only costing her $500 a month. I suspect given time to heal...a gut takes time to heal...she may be able to get off meds altogether. She sees her doctor tomorrow and was so excited to be able to tell him how much better she feels and why. That made my day..maybe my week. :-)

I want to know WHY doctors aren't telling people to get off garbage like modern wheat with 50 times the gluten of wheat varieties of the past, literally physically addictive acting like an opiate to your brain, and there are plenty of true scientific studies showing just how bad it is for us and how it's implicated in many autoimmune problems like hers. She said no doctor has even suggested testing her for gluten sensitivity at all...that's malpractice...seriously. They'd rather put her on pills costing her thousands than look for a root cause. It really disgusts me and reminds me of my own experiences with doctors who blew off my symptoms for years until I found out what the cause was by paying for my own tests.

Anyway...sorry for the rant but it makes me crazy to see stuff like this.
    That is so cool Sharon! And it happens with so many people, That is the thing to me that makes it all worth telling people about it.
    I was just on a carb addict roller coaster, I could eat and an hour later I had to fight myself to not eat more, crap,
    But for people who are suffering from digestive disorders that is one of the first things Wheat Belly talks about. And yes folks that author is a licenced cardiologist.
    Most doctors have no clue about nutrition. so it is no surprise they push pills.
    There is tons of scientific research out there.
    I have heard so many stories about how people have dropped there tryglyceride levels to normal after being off the charts, No more high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes gone. Joint pain Gone, Fibromyalgia Gone.
    And so many more things. Isn't it worth it to try it for 3 or so months to see if you can get relief?
    I guess to some that croissant, or Bagel or chocolate cake is more vital.
    I used to think do.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    Ok I have a question, why is wheat bad for you? All I keep hearing is about eating whole wheat and grains.
    Read the book "Wheat Belly" for the big answer.

Small answer-today's wheat is barely a distant cousin of the wheats of the past. If I recall it was somewhere around the 1950's or 60's it was modified to today's wheat.

Many people have a sugar spike from wheat that is even HIGHER than sugar.

I eat whole grains (quinoa and long grain brown rice, some Ezekiel bread) for early meals (through lunch). Other than that, whole foods ( veggies, fruits, humanely raised meats, wild caught fish), and coconut/olive oils.

I would never make it through my day without 'clean carbs' in the early part of the day. But I am active ALL. DAY. LONG.

Depending on your lifestyle, there is no reason to be afraid of all grains all the time.