The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I went to a nutritionist for my bones - the blood test they took indicated my kidney function was not optimum (news to me) and to cut down on red meats. Thing is we don't eat that much red meat. A good steak now and then and then my husband and I cut it in half and he gets the bigger half.

I do notice a difference in his weight (gut) when he cuts out 'whites', but he does not stay on the bandwagon very long.

I believe in bananas, BTW (a meal in a skin). Also nuts. And exercise...
    both weights and cardio.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

What would happen if you went paleo, but just wanted one night off, for say, lots of beer and buffalo chicken and an ice cream?
    What I lack in preparedness I make up for in enthusiasm

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteup View Post
    What would happen if you went paleo, but just wanted one night off, for say, lots of beer and buffalo chicken and an ice cream?
    Depends. I stopped eating gluten/wheat about 7 months ago. On the whole, I feel so much better, though, I am more aware of other food intolerances. I suspect I have had them for years, but am just now becoming aware of them.

If I accidentally eat gluten, I will feel really ill - even from fairly small amounts, especially if its barley malt for some reason.

That said, I also have a few friends who have gone gluten-free and don't feel any ill effects when they indulge. They might feel a bit bloated or fatigued, but they don't get sick. Most of them don't view themselves as being gluten intolerant, and are doing it for the general health benefits.

I'm another one who follows a STRICT diet... not optional in my case as I have several food allergies and sensitivities...
    To all the ones who think that you "CAN'T" do it because of lack of self control- if you fight through the initial cravings and honestly FEEL the difference, it's not as hard as you may think!
    Good for you OP for feeling better!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Anteup View Post
    I would probably be sick for a few days, And I used to think that would be okay, they even talk about it in the book, Trying to ad something you think you cannot live with out after the first few months. Most have no desire for it, and Your body will not thank you.
    Like I said you could lay all that out in front of me anytime now, and I would probably be trying to figure out how I am going to throw it all out.
    I am not exaggerating. I tried a month ago to have a 6 inch subway with turkey and veggies. used to love them, Ate two bites and tossed it, felt crappy the rest of the day. It was wicked.
    Another thing that happens is your taste buds perk up again, After all that sweet salty fake stuff they become dulled to taste.
    Like I said I crave Salmon now! LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I've been on Wheat-Belly for a year and a half & am surprised how really *not hard* it has been. It was about a week transition of craving carbs/sugars, then you really just...don't. Suddenly. It's strangely easy.

The hardest part is telling people what you eat/don't eat and why & trying not to convert everyone around you. I'm not a diet devotee & don't have super-willpower--but this is different & doable.

If I eat something I shouldn't (pasta, cookies), I'll feel very hungry for several days and have noticeable blood sugar highs/lows. It's not horrible, but it takes a few days to get back to the balance I have when I'm not eating carbs & sugars. Kind of a pain! And honestly, it's SO nice not to feel hungry all the time and crave things--so a carb-splurge just seems not worth it. Weight flies off, which is a great motivator, too.

2 members found this post helpful.

I eat wheat/gluten free all day. By 4:00 I am starving and can't get enough carbs. I have diabetes and inject insulin...not type 1. My basal dose starts wearing thin around 4.

How do I get thru the last half of my day without starchy carbs? I've tried cheese, protein, fruit nuts...even eating supper at 4. Nothing 'works'. I would give anything to not think about food after the 4 the way I don't think about it before 4.

I have eggs and an orange for breakfast. Tuna mixed with plain yogurt, a blend of herbs, celery, red peppers, sliced tomato and carrot for lunch. Basically non-fat diet all day. No processed foods, no starches or breads.

I just can't seem to stop the 4:00 attack.

How do you handle eating away from home and your control. Everybody serves junk and carbs.
    Ride like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

DITCH THE FOLLOWING:

Bananas,....
    Ok, I have to ask...what's so bad about bananas?
    They are my breakfast of choice these days.
    Coffee and 1 banana.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

This is inspiring me. I have been off and on gluten-free since January 2012. I fall back into gluten-y habits under stress, for both the emotional satisfaction I convince myself it gives me, as well as the convenience. It is possible to eat wrong just about anywhere, it takes more effort to eat right.
    But I agree with every part of the OP's statement. Things I didn't know were connected felt dramatically better. Like my sinuses! I thought waking up with sinus congestion and pain was just the way life was. Now I associate it with having gone on a gluten binge the day before. Joint and muscle pain too. I didn't expect an improvement in those areas, so it was a good experiment – no self-fulfilling prophecy.

It is really only hard to get started. Those habits are strong! More often than not I went off the wagon unintentionally. Saltines in soup, pita with hummus.

Just as an aside, I really only have trouble with wheat. I did not give up potatoes or rice. And I am able to have a very small amount of gluten with no ill effects, maybe once or week or so. Anything more than that and the backsliding begins. The real killer for me is ranch dressing. Love it, can't imagine salad without it, and it knocks me nearly comatose!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I ditched wheat and all that junk for the most part, and I lost 30lbs in a 6 month or so period. I have less of a gut. I feel better all around and am really surprised by the positive change.

I do eat milk chocolate, an ice cream, or pizza with rice crust from time to time. It's a lifestyle that I can manage and enjoy. I NEVER thought I could give up carbs like breads, crackers, pasta, etc. But now it mostly grosses me out.

Sannois, can you post your meatloaf recipe please?. I love meat loaf, and have a freezer full of moose and muley burger thats waiting for something new!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    I eat wheat/gluten free all day. By 4:00 I am starving and can't get enough carbs. I have diabetes and inject insulin...not type 1. My basal dose starts wearing thin around 4.

How do I get thru the last half of my day without starchy carbs? I've tried cheese, protein, fruit nuts...even eating supper at 4. Nothing 'works'. I would give anything to not think about food after the 4 the way I don't think about it before 4.

I have eggs and an orange for breakfast. Tuna mixed with plain yogurt, a blend of herbs, celery, red peppers, sliced tomato and carrot for lunch. Basically non-fat diet all day. No processed foods, no starches or breads.

I just can't seem to stop the 4:00 attack.

How do you handle eating away from home and your control. Everybody serves junk and carbs.
    Non-fat is your problem. You need fat to feel "full" and not hungry. Again, there is NO health benefit whatsoever to eating "low-fat." Any time the take the fat out of something, they put sugar in. Eat full-fat everything and feel the difference!

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Ok, I have to ask...what's so bad about bananas?
    They are my breakfast of choice these days.
    Coffee and 1 banana.
    Bananas have some beneficial nutrients like potassium, but their glycemic index is SO high that having one is no different physically than a big piece of cake--it's just sweet starch and turns to glucose like a torch made out of straw. Here again, for a treat, fine, but if you eat one every day you won't get the weight loss or the health benefits that come from eliminating blood sugar & insulin spikes.

Actually, I don't eat nofat on purpose. It's just that the foods I choose are fat free. It's hard to add in fat. I've started adding an ounce of cheese to my scrambled eggs in the morning. And I will be using regular yogurt in my tuna salad.

I'm hoping that solves the problem. I love my "diet" foods and dishes so there's no reason to 'go off' my 'diet'.

Also, what do you think about Dove Dark chocolates? I like to have 3 in the evening with my tea.
    Ride like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    I ditched wheat and all that junk for the most part, and I lost 30lbs in a 6 month or so period. I have less of a gut. I feel better all around and am really surprised by the positive change.

I do eat milk chocolate, an ice cream, or pizza with rice crust from time to time. It's a lifestyle that I can manage and enjoy. I NEVER thought I could give up carbs like breads, crackers, pasta, etc. But now it mostly grosses me out.
    Yup!!
    Another one that had results. I too was convinced I could never do without Pasta and the likes.
    And bread.. Now I could heave. even bakery bread does nothing for me, not even the smell. Great going TF!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I'd like to try giving up carbs and starches but I'm such a picky eater. About 18 years ago I tried being vegetarian (cuz I LOVE animals) but had to eventually include poultry. So, no fish, red meat, pork, nothing spicy, no Asian foods...I'm a PITA. No tomatos, peppers, olives, eggplant....just a few i won't eat.

Is it possible to eat a healthy "Wheat Belly" diet when one doesn't like a lot of foods?

One thing I think might really help this thread and the folks who want to try this but can't see a way around the carbs is this:

People have been indoctrinated by the ad industry into thinking every single meal has to be about PLEASURE. That's right, as if every time you sit down in front of a plate you're supposed to have an orgasm or something! Do something ELSE for pleasure (like ride!) and eat for NUTRITION, as in eating to keep going without falling down.

Think about feeding yourself like you'd feed a good event horse!

I went gluten free a little over a year ago and have not looked back.

The benefits I have experienced are amazing!
    -No headaches (used to have several a week)
    -No back pain (since I was a kid doctors couldn't figure out why I had lower back pain)
    -Full of energy (used to sleep 8-10 hours a night and be exhausted all day)
    -Better skin
    -Significantly less anxiety. This one is huge for me. The 6 months leading up to my change in diet I had 3 major panic attacks and several small scale ones. I was a total wreck. Haven't had once single episode since going gluten free. I still have mild anxiety over certain situations but nothing extraordinary.

I felt defeated, doctors couldn't give me any answers and my quality of life sucked. I was a ball of nerves, exhausted beyond belief, short temper, back hurt every morning getting out of bed, constant headaches.

Within 48 hours after cutting out everything with gluten I felt way better. A week later I single handedly dug a 6' wide and 2" deep fire pit in my mom's backyard and lined it with rocks. In ONE day! I never would have done that before!

I'm by no means paleo, but I really want to try and eliminate more grains (rice mainly) and eat more veggies. I hardly eat anything processed so that wasn't an issue. I cannot imagine going back to eating wheat again.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Actually, I don't eat nofat on purpose. It's just that the foods I choose are fat free. It's hard to add in fat. I've started adding an ounce of cheese to my scrambled eggs in the morning. And I will be using regular yogurt in my tuna salad.

I'm hoping that solves the problem. I love my "diet" foods and dishes so there's no reason to 'go off' my 'diet'.

Also, what do you think about Dove Dark chocolates? I like to have 3 in the evening with my tea.
    Add in an avocado to your tuna lunch (or make some guac and have it as a snack after or with lunch). Good, healthy fat in avocados!
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ridethehide View Post
    I went gluten free a little over a year ago and have not looked back.

The benefits I have experienced are amazing!
    -No headaches (used to have several a week)
    -No back pain (since I was a kid doctors couldn't figure out why I had lower back pain)
    -Full of energy (used to sleep 8-10 hours a night and be exhausted all day)
    -Better skin
    -Significantly less anxiety. This one is huge for me. The 6 months leading up to my change in diet I had 3 major panic attacks and several small scale ones. I was a total wreck. Haven't had once single episode since going gluten free. I still have mild anxiety over certain situations but nothing extraordinary.

I felt defeated, doctors couldn't give me any answers and my quality of life sucked. I was a ball of nerves, exhausted beyond belief, short temper, back hurt every morning getting out of bed, constant headaches.

Within 48 hours after cutting out everything with gluten I felt way better. A week later I single handedly dug a 6' wide and 2" deep fire pit in my mom's backyard and lined it with rocks. In ONE day! I never would have done that before!

I'm by no means paleo, but I really want to try and eliminate more grains (rice mainly) and eat more veggies. I hardly eat anything processed so that wasn't an issue. I cannot imagine going back to eating wheat again.
    Awesome! Another plus from eating like this, things that used to hurt do not anymore. I have no joint pain anymore. My knees were wicked before.
    I do not get headaches either.
    And you are right the energy is through the roof.
    I seem to go to bed at the same time and wake at the same time, no alarm.
    And I feel awake and refreshed.
    Before I wanted a nap every day, and I was always tired as well.
    I am not true Paleo either because I do have some cheese now and then,
    But absolutely no wheat, I tried brown rice again and AGH, no way. cannot do it.