The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Canaqua, I had great dietary habits, weighed 105 at 5'9"...and then I had kids and my metabolism stopped and I became insulin resistant. At the 105 weight, it was definitely good food as well as genetics/current health status. After I became insulin resistant (because of issues with my pregnancy) the *only* way I can lose weight is through following a paleo or low carb diet. It sucks. I did WW, counted calories etc and could not lose more than 2 lbs. When I eat grain-free I eventually return to a normal weight of 145 for my height as opposed to the almost 200 lbs that I ballooned to.

I always ate "healthfully" and exercised and never ate a standard American diet. Thems just the breaks, for my body.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to say in an earlier post. When I looked at the Wheat Belly web site, the guy promoting it was even saying that the diet is beneficial for SOME people....I certainly know people who have metabolic problems who can't eat a traditional "healthy" diet without gaining weight or feeling poorly and for whom this type of diet is helpful. And other people who struggle with weight or health problems for whom a paleo type diet does not work.

I think what has irritated many on this thread were the earlier implications that anyone who is not eating paleo or grain free is either uneducated or is spending many unnecessary hours in the gym. Then there are the many outliers (me, Meup, someone's husband, how you used to be...) who make some people angry because they disprove the premise that paleo is the only way to go. A "religious" attitude where everyone must believe the same thing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to say in an earlier post. When I looked at the Wheat Belly web site, the guy promoting it was even saying that the diet is beneficial for SOME people....I certainly know people who have metabolic problems who can't eat a traditional "healthy" diet without gaining weight or feeling poorly and for whom this type of diet is helpful. And other people who struggle with weight or health problems for whom a paleo type diet does not work.

I think what has irritated many on this thread were the earlier implications that anyone who is not eating paleo or grain free is either uneducated or is spending many unnecessary hours in the gym. Then there are the many outliers (me, Meup, someone's husband, how you used to be...) who make some people angry because they disprove the premise that paleo is the only way to go. A "religious" attitude where everyone must believe the same thing.
    Well once and for all, I do not think it is the ONLY way to go.
    I was truthfully surprised that it has been working so far for me.
    I am or was very insulin resistant as a result of eating so many bad carbs for so long. I was at the dentist to get my cleaning yesterday and my hygienist, who is a doll, about my age and very thin, was scarfing on Donuts when I came in. Apparently Carbs do not bother her, she is full of energy and not an ounce of fat.
    I think it is about what you decide you are willing to put into your body, I only wish I had decided this 15 or so years ago.
    I do believe that the GMO processed chemical laden food is nothing that the human body needs, and apparently much of America is starting to wake up to what is being put into their food.
    Well thanks for all the interesting posts, I am off to the gym, them to mow a few acres of now overgrown grass from all our rain.
    I do go to the gym. by the way! Just not all the time.
    Have a great Thursday all.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    The situation of people extolling a diet that makes them "feel good" while arguing on a public forum in a not so "feel good" manner. (Unless of course arguing, in fact, makes them "feel good").

I am also referring to the OP's very nasty and now deleted posts on another thread. I find the "I feel so good"situation ironic.
    People who "feel good" aren't usually so mean spirited.
    Ah, okay. Thank you for the clarification. makes sense now.

Stopped eating bread and pasta at the end of May, lost 7 lbs in 2 days. Sure it was water, but I had to wonder why I was holding that much fluid.

So I've delved further into the gluten free world. I do eat rice and potatoes. I avoid wheat, rye and barley. But occasionally, I cheat. However if I eat gluten, I have a headache the next morning consistently. That's interesting. Oh and I've dropped 10 lbs total.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    Stopped eating bread and pasta at the end of May, lost 7 lbs in 2 days. Sure it was water, but I had to wonder why I was holding that much fluid.

So I've delved further into the gluten free world. I do eat rice and potatoes. I avoid wheat, rye and barley. But occasionally, I cheat. However if I eat gluten, I have a headache the next morning consistently. That's interesting. Oh and I've dropped 10 lbs total.
    AWESOME!!!
    I had to drop the rice and potatoes for now, it has been a little over three months, and Feeling great, I was seriously innsulin resistant, I have only cheated once or twice over a month ago, Oh and a Corona a few nights ago, and felt real crappy in the gut department and headachy as well.
    It has become a habit for me now. 15 lbs and starting to see a real difference. I swear the fat is starting to melt off. LOL.
    Great job nhwr, thanks for letting me know.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

All right, I've read through nine pages and am still waiting for the OP's meatloaf recipe that someone requested on the first page. OP, spill!
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

Bumping this up cause well it is WORKING!!!
    20 lbs as of last week, in almost 4 months. Seriously I could not have lost 20 lbs in a year before. And I am not working out. just everyday yard work.

Glad you bumped this. A new thread on Wednesday inspired me to try giving up the wheat. I have 6lbs from DD#2 that I haven't been able to shake. Almost all the other weight was off in 10 days. So since Thursday I haven't had wheat, or soda, since dropping soda works well for me to shed weight.

I can't say I feel any different, but I have noticed a difference in my ...plumbing! Only a couple pounds have come up missing, but my 'poof' is diminishing. Going to see how long I can keep it up. Pardon me for not reading the whole thread, but how long for the cravings to subside?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine lasted about a week, But I was so driven after reading Wheat Belly I wanted nothing to do with it.
    I have no artificial anything. Eat all organic local produce now.
    Grass fed Beef, the neighbors chicken eggs. Amish chicken.
    I did have some wheat after 2 months, and let me tell you, it was enough to never want it again. did not have a good effect on the innards.
    LOL