The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Wheat Free and I feel terrific.

I am a new person, And although most folks do not want to hear about it, changing ones way of eating, I know there are many who are doing it and reaping the benefits.
    Heres the thing, if you feel tired and kind of crappy most of the time, achey, pains in joints allergies, you name it, and there was a chance that if you gave up all wheat and processed foods and ate nothing but real whole clean foods you could feel great, wouldn't you try it.?
    The SAD diet is killing people in this country and they are getting more and more Obese and sick and more young people are morbidly obese. Just go to the grocery store. Look what is in peoples carts.
    I am a cheer leader with this, because I was the biggest pasta bread and junk food addict there was.
    No matter how much I worked out, I hardly lost any weight and still had a belly.
    So after reading Wheat Belly, Younger next year, and It starts with food, I said ICK I am going to do it.
    And now it has been almost 3 months of wheat free no artificial anything, I still have a bit of cheese, but locally made Amish, not much, and a bit of coffee cream, (Which Is next to go).
    I NEVER FELT BETTER. I kid you not, I used to crave spaghetti, bread, anything, be hungry after an hour of eating crap. And now, I hardly think about food, and never have cravings Well now I crave Salmon! LOL
    It is amazing. I only think about food when it is time to cook it. I sleep GREAT a deep restful sleep, and this is just in the last week this has happened, no more tired in the afternoon wanting a nap.
    I think clearer, I have no more heart burn, No more bloated feeling, No IBS, My knees do not hurt, AND My stomach is going, I have lost a little over 9 lbs, The jeans are loose.
    I cannot wait to see how I feel and look in 3 more months.
    Seriously, I cannot even hardly look at all the junk that passes as food that people eat, and all the GMO crap, Nope I am growing my own, or getting it from my local farmers market. My eggs and chickens are local, Grass fed beef,
    As a matter of fact there is hardly anything I buy at the grocery store anymore.
    It is great truthfully friends, I thought I could never live without ever having a cookie or something like that, now I can safely say I could care less if I ever have anything like that again, Cause heres the thing, I have tried a bit of this or that, The results were not worth it, Felt lethargic and icky.
    Now I won't even consider anything but whole foods.
    If you want to feel great it is so worth it. Nurture your body the way it was supposed to be nurtured, not chemicals and things that do not even resemble food.
    I know I have some sisters on here who have discovered this way of life, Chime in my friends, how is it going!
    Okay cheer leading session over! But I am just so HAPPY!!!
    Last edited by Sannois; May. 29, 2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Changed title as it seemed to be offending some folks.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

15 members found this post helpful.

I wish I had the motivation you do... pasta is my absolute favorite food EVER. I don't think I can go 2 weeks without having one pasta dish.

But I am totally on the eating healthy bandwagon. Everything in moderation, fresh fruits and veggies for snacks, and not a huge carb overload for meals. It is hard and I just started, but I'm determined to get the healthy body I've been wanting for years.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

3 members found this post helpful.

...Nope. Nothing feels as good as carbs taste. The ONLY way I've ever lost weight in my entire life is intense cardio (and then all I wanted was carbs and protein.)

But you want to kill ANY desire to eat fried or greasy foods? Work in a kitchen. I can't even look at the hot EDR special most days as I've been staring at it on the line, making it for guests all day. I have no desire to eat by the time I'm done. (Except remaindered cookies that get cut up for employees. I really want to beg our executive chef for the secret of his oatmeal cookies and snickerdoodles, as they're all his recipes.) Oh, and want to kill any desire for super-chocolatey things? Cut and wrap our brownies. The smell alone will do it after a while. Chocolate's nice, we have dark, rich brownies that are really nice like all our stuff (almost all our product comes from our main kitchens at the central resort, made on-site from scratch) but I'm practically nauseous after handling it. Working around food constantly petty much destroys any desire I have to eat it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good for you Sannois. Glad you're feeling better! I suspect many people have food intolerance and just don't realize it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You made me feel guilty - sitting here eating my processed, salty high fat breakfast And I know what you are talking about - after my Dad had a sudden cardiac issue, my Mom became a super healthy cook (she felt guilty for letting him eat crap). I go to eat at my parents, and I feel so light, healthy & energetic afterwards. She gave me some of her healthy cook books, but I'll tell you it takes a lot of time to eat healthy (her way anyway) and after full time job & riding, I just can't find the energy to cook (I know, I know, if I'd eat healthy I'd have more energy!)

But your post has motivated me to try to clean it up again. I do enjoy my fresh veggies & fruits from local NJ farmers, time to do my shopping first at the farmstands, last at the grocery.

Any other books or websites you can recommend to those of us feeling motivated now?

1 members found this post helpful.

Feel fine, thanks, but I'm happy for you! I don't eat a whole lot of carbs/starchy stuff anyway, and am not a sugar fiend. But I do enjoy a cookie, good pastry, or a slice of cake from time to time. I also work out like mad.

I smoked from age 20 on; after 25 years I've been quit for almost 2 months now. I am DONE with vice/lifestyle reform for a long, long time!

Since you say you went "paleo", that means meats are an important part of your diet and this explains why eating sufficient meat helps women fell better:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/03...ion/36348.html

Many women don't get enough animal protein.
    I know I don't, have been told I need to eat more of it.
    One small steak a week at most, at times maybe twice in a month only is just not enough.

We really need to eat a bit of most everything, just do so in moderation.
    Unless we have some sensitivity that makes some food a bad idea for us.
    I am sensitive to soy products, cramp badly if I get something with them and today, soy seems to be in everything processed.

Nutrition is not an exact science and individual idiosyncrasies may determine what is good for us, hard to make any one diet work for all.

OP, glad you found nutrition that is working so well for you.

Gotta say, I'm with danceronice on this one... and I don't even eat the real junk!

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Gotta say, I'm with danceronice on this one... and I don't even eat the real junk!
    Lol, yep, I'm not giving up bread or steak (and as I had some serious blood problems, the doctors did say plant iron barely absorbs so eat high-iron meats if you actually want to get it from food) or pasta or dairy. I tend not to eat anything superprocessed, unless you count yogurt (which I make myself eat for breakfast--I can choke down the Greek kind, in lime or coffee, anyway--I hate fruity flavored things and the texture of most yogurts) or cereal. Of course some days I don't want anything I have to do more than take out of the fridge as I can't bring myself to really cook (I bought some chicken sausage last week intending to use it in pasta and even making a simple sauce is just more than I want to deal with on third shift. Of course, I don't usually eat at all when I get home because it's 1am or so...I've been living off the cold bar at work. They had to think I was nuts the other day--"egg salad" made from the hard-boiled eggs, baby carrots, iceberg, and a pickle. But at least it didn't require any assembly...at least there was garden vegetable soup that day. It's the only one of our soups I like.)

Glad you're feeling so good OP!

I try my best, but my family still insists on pasta / rice / bread. Sandwiches for lunch etc.

When at the grocery store I very seldom go in the "inside aisles", I stick to the periphery of the store: milk/dairy/eggs, fish & meat, fresh produce, fresh bread.

I want to do a CSA again but 1) it's expensive and 2) sometimes I couldn't get what I wanted from them (but got so much kale I didn't know what to do with it!!!).
    I try to buy local, in-season produce, whenever possible, and I'm lucky that my local grocery store does offer these, because they are MUCH cheaper there than at the local farmers' markets!

I gave up Brussels cookies (only cookies I like) but I won't give up 70% Green&Black chocolate and fresh, warm baguette is just too hard to resist!

It's funny. When I was a kid we pretty much ate whatever was "in season". We lived with my grand-parents and my grand-mother, who was doing most of the cooking, absolutely refused to prepare "outlandish" produce that had been grown far far away. She grew a lot of veggies in her garden, and insisted on "seasonal", much to us kids' dismay (we weren't too keen on cabbage, salsify, pasnips and the like, lol!).
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Okay where are all my Wheat free Meat eaters.
    the thing is folks if you realized how your body handles the horrid junk you would eat nothing but Meat Fruit and veggies.
    I know people who have done it, And there Type 2 diabetes dissapeared along with Blood pressure, no more allergies.
    I too was just like you folks who say they could not do it,
    I do not miss a thing. I now eat to nourish my body, and not for fun.
    Plus I have discovered a world of great tastes with natural herbs and spices to cook with and I have even turned a hard core disbelieving man into a convert. Grass fed beef, All kinds of ways to prepare food.
    My meat loaf is to die for, and not a speck of bread in it.
    Where are my Buddies, Lady Eboshi, and Day dream believer.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

You had salsify, sophie? I bought seeds because it sounded interesting and I cannot get it to grow in the soil around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I am a new person, And although most folks do not want to hear about it, changing ones way of eating, I know there are many who are doing it and reaping the benefits.
    Heres the thing, if you feel tired and kind of crappy most of the time, achey, pains in joints allergies, you name it, and there was a chance that if you gave up all wheat and processed foods and ate nothing but real whole clean foods you could feel great, wouldn't you try it.?
    The SAD diet is killing people in this country and they are getting more and more Obese and sick and more young people are morbidly obese. Just go to the grocery store. Look what is in peoples carts.
    I am a cheer leader with this, because I was the biggest pasta bread and junk food addict there was.
    No matter how much I worked out, I hardly lost any weight and still had a belly.
    So after reading Wheat Belly, Younger next year, and It starts with food, I said ICK I am going to do it.
    And now it has been almost 3 months of wheat free no artificial anything, I still have a bit of cheese, but locally made Amish, not much, and a bit of coffee cream, (Which Is next to go).
    I NEVER FELT BETTER. I kid you not, I used to crave spaghetti, bread, anything, be hungry after an hour of eating crap. And now, I hardly think about food, and never have cravings Well now I crave Salmon! LOL
    It is amazing. I only think about food when it is time to cook it. I sleep GREAT a deep restful sleep, and this is just in the last week this has happened, no more tired in the afternoon wanting a nap.
    I think clearer, I have no more heart burn, No more bloated feeling, No IBS, My knees do not hurt, AND My stomach is going, I have lost a little over 9 lbs, The jeans are loose.
    I cannot wait to see how I feel and look in 3 more months.
    Seriously, I cannot even hardly look at all the junk that passes as food that people eat, and all the GMO crap, Nope I am growing my own, or getting it from my local farmers market. My eggs and chickens are local, Grass fed beef,
    As a matter of fact there is hardly anything I buy at the grocery store anymore.
    It is great truthfully friends, I thought I could never live without ever having a cookie or something like that, now I can safely say I could care less if I ever have anything like that again, Cause heres the thing, I have tried a bit of this or that, The results were not worth it, Felt lethargic and icky.
    Now I won't even consider anything but whole foods.
    If you want to feel great it is so worth it. Nurture your body the way it was supposed to be nurtured, not chemicals and things that do not even resemble food.
    I know I have some sisters on here who have discovered this way of life, Chime in my friends, how is it going!
    Okay cheer leading session over! But I am just so HAPPY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Okay where are all my Wheat free Meat eaters.
    the thing is folks if you realized how your body handles the horrid junk you would eat nothing but Meat Fruit and veggies.
    I know people who have done it, And there Type 2 diabetes dissapeared along with Blood pressure, no more allergies.
    I too was just like you folks who say they could not do it,
    I do not miss a thing. I now eat to nourish my body, and not for fun.
    Plus I have discovered a world of great tastes with natural herbs and spices to cook with and I have even turned a hard core disbelieving man into a convert. Grass fed beef, All kinds of ways to prepare food.
    My meat loaf is to die for, and not a speck of bread in it.
    Where are my Buddies, Lady Eboshi, and Day dream believer.
    Unfortunately, the MYTH that natural ANIMAL-derived fats are bad for you is still being widely circulated, mostly by medical personnel who are parroting a piece of bad data from 40 years ago that has been roundly discredited. It is NOT "calories in, calories out," working out will do NOTHING for most people's weight (I'm living proof!) and obesity is actually a SYMPTOM of a disordered endocrine system which is storing too much fat due to the high blood sugar caused by EXCESS CARBOHYDRATES.

Lemme give you the short version. Want to lose your excess pounds without giving up EVEN ONE THING that has actual health and nutritional value?

DITCH THE FOLLOWING:

All sweet drinks--including the "sugar free" ones.
    Beer--its high in maltose sugar.
    Orange juice and other "fruit" juices--appalling amounts of sugar.
    All dessert items--period.
    Bread, bagels, crackers, breakfast cereals, potatoes and rice across the board.
    Soybean or canola oil based salad dressings & other products.
    Bananas, trail mix, dried fruit, chips, popcorn, any other packaged snack foods.

Not one bit of this crap is worth eating nutritionally, all it does is ramp up your blood sugar, which in turn keeps the cravings perpetual and you're ALWAYS hungry. BTW, if you must drink alcohol, a mixed drink has no sugar like wine and beer. I still enjoy my itsy bitsy cocktail.

EAT INSTEAD:

Eggs, meats, fish; full-fat dairy, raw if you can get it; cheese, nuts, salads with olive oil and organic vinegar; all the green vegetables of every description that you can possibly stuff; and for dessert if you must have it, a piece of fruit in it's natural, unprocessed state. I like an organic orange or Granny Smith apple.

You will NOT be hungry. You will barely THINK about food. Sometimes you can skip a meal and not even notice. You will begin to realize how food rules the lives of people around you the way heroin rules a junkie--and you will decide its worth it if you still bother with doctors and he asks you WTF you did to make your "numbers" suddenly look so spectacular. Oh, and you can give up Chronic Cardio and running on a wheel like a gerbil.

You'll have time to ride your horse, in those sexy new Pikeurs . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Unfortunately, the MYTH that natural ANIMAL-derived fats are bad for you is still being widely circulated, mostly by medical personnel who are parroting a piece of bad data from 40 years ago that has been roundly discredited. It is NOT "calories in, calories out," working out will do NOTHING for most people's weight (I'm living proof!) and obesity is actually a SYMPTOM of a disordered endocrine system which is storing too much fat due to the high blood sugar caused by EXCESS CARBOHYDRATES.

Lemme give you the short version. Want to lose your excess pounds without giving up EVEN ONE THING that has actual health and nutritional value?

DITCH THE FOLLOWING:

All sweet drinks--including the "sugar free" ones.
    Beer--it high in maltose sugar.
    Orange juice and othe "fruit" juices--appalling amounts of sugar.
    All dessert items--period.
    Bread, bagels, crackers, breakfast cereals, potatoes and rice across the board.
    Soybean or canola oil based salad dressings & other products.
    Bananas, trail mix, dried fruit, chips, popcorn, any other packaged snack foods.

Not one bit of this crap is worth eating nutritionally, all it does is ramp up your blood sugar, which in turn keeps the cravings perpetual and you're ALWAYS hungry.

EAT INSTEAD:

Eggs, meats, fish; full-fat dairy, raw if you can get it; cheese, nuts, salads with olive oil and organic vinegar; all the green vegetables of every description that you can possibly stuff; and for dessert if you must have it, a piece of fruit in it's natural, unprocessed state. I like an organic orange or Granny Smith apple.

You will NOT be hungry. You will barely THINK about food. Sometimes you can skip a meal and not even notice. You will begin to realize how food rules the lives of people around you the way heroin rules a junkie--and you will decide its worth it if you still bother with doctors and he asks you WTF you did to make your "numbers" suddenly look so spectacular. Oh, and you can give up Chronic Cardio and running on a wheel like a gerbil.

You'll have time to ride your horse, in those sexy new Pikeurs . . .
    THIS!! In spades~
    It is so amazing yet so simple. This is my lifestyle for life!!

Congrats, OP. I've been on the fence too long - at least about giving up the carbs. Was in my best shape ever when younger, and giving up breads/cakes/the whole 9 yards of anything with flour in it.
    My usual breakfast is blueberries and cottage cheese and I can go a long time before being hungry. If I have a scrambled egg and one piece of toast, I am starving an hour later.
    Your story might nudge me closer to the edge. Only thing is, have to have my dairy. Does that have to go?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I'm another one that feels SOOOOO much better without the heavy carbs in my diet. If I eat low carb or paleo style, I do feel good. But like someone else said, my husband and son won't give up the carbs. And in general, carbs are easy and fast to fix when time is short. I kind of go in cycles. I eat low carb for a while, then I'm tired so we have grilled cheese for dinner (or something of the kind) and then I start eating carbs again. Then I get to feeling not so good, so go back on low carb, and over again.

OP, can I have your meat loaf recipe? I love meatloaf, but haven't had much luck with the low carb versions, in that they fall apart. They still taste good, but it's more of a meat "jumble" instead of "loaf". lol

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

My coworkers think I'm nuts for having full-fat yogurt, but when I eat the low fat/nonfat "yogurt," I'm hungry within an hour or two. But the full fat yogurt keeps me sustained and feeling full until lunch.

I haven't been very good about cutting out carbs, but I'm ready to do it again! I've been so busy with moving a couple of weeks ago that I've been eating WAY less anyway, and when a friend I hadn't seen came down to visit this past Saturday she couldn't believe the weight I've lost. Once I get back to eating Paleo, I know the weight is going to drop off.
    Boston Strong

Founding member of the Wheat Loss Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Congrats, OP. I've been on the fence too long - at least about giving up the carbs. Was in my best shape ever when younger, and giving up breads/cakes/the whole 9 yards of anything with flour in it.
    My usual breakfast is blueberries and cottage cheese and I can go a long time before being hungry. If I have a scrambled egg and one piece of toast, I am starving an hour later.
    Your story might nudge me closer to the edge. Only thing is, have to have my dairy. Does that have to go?
    For me I have an egg/egg white sandwich (or wrap) with cheese and that is the only thing that keeps me full until lunch. I need a mix of protein and carbs to keep me full.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    You had salsify, sophie? I bought seeds because it sounded interesting and I cannot get it to grow in the soil around here!
    I wish I could help you but I hated salsify as a kid and so I don't even know how my grandma grew / cooked them, lol!

I should try them again now that I am older and wiser (..? HA!) since I've developed a new liking in similarly weird (to me) veggies over the years...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!