The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to handle the pay question?

So the farm that I manage is on the market again. This time with a $900k price drop. Inevitably every time it goes on the market some potential buyer asks what I get paid. The realtor knows that I would stay on the job in the right situation.

In the past I have just been honest and told them what i get paid but its so awkward and honestly, if it meant having a job and a great place to live until I found a different one, I would take a pay cut. So, is there a better way to handle the question? I couldn't stay long term with a massive pay cut, but at least for awhile

They're not asking what you'd take to work under XYZ conditions. They're asking what you're currently being paid. I'd tell the truth and add that the pay you'd accept is variable based on the circumstances of employment. If someone wants to approach you and hammer out specific details, they can. I doubt that's going to be the make/break of someone buying the farm.
    Last edited by vxf111; May. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Not a strong spelling day for me!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Tell them how much (really, shouldn't the sellers be telling them this?) and that you are 'somewhat negotiable depending on the circumstances.'

The buyer may realize how valuable it is to have someone on the property who already knows its quirks.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I would just tell them what you make and leave it at that. Why offer up a pay cut? For all you know, your pay is not an issue. And if it is, the buyer will tell you.

You can tell them and say you really love it, so if they do decide to make changes, you would really appreciate if they would talk with you first so you have time to consider your options and/or look around.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Tell them how much (really, shouldn't the sellers be telling them this?) and that you are 'somewhat negotiable depending on the circumstances.'
    If I were the buyer, I would be asking both parties. It's an honesty barometer.

What VX strikes me as the best way to go; state what they pay, be honest, and indicate that you have an interest in staying and might be negotiable.

I'd be pretty careful about giving up too much right at the beginning. Think about this before you begin any negotiation; are there things they can provide for you that balance a cut in pay, etc?

Good luck.

You shouldn't be having to answer that question. The owner should have all the expenses listed, and in the hands of the listing agent, for prospective buyers to check.

Refer the question to the listing agent. Also, because the owner should be paying additional taxes, social security, perhaps insurance, etc. So the total expense of having a barn manager would be different than just your pay.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree with CVPeg, you should not be having to deal directly with potential buyers of the property...that is for the seller to deal with and they should have all the relevant information readily available. When and if someone buys the property, they'd then negotiate with you themselves. Communicate your desire to stay on to the listing agent and let them handle it.