The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Both Music and Belle came back to be fully sound.

Music (her last bout was about 8 years ago) is treated prophylactically (sp?) with monthly levamazole (immune stimulant) and is under lights.

Belle (last bout about 3 years ago) isn't getting anything specific to Lyme.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post

She started him on Doxy, 25 pills 2x/day (he’s slightly under 1000 lbs) and he had a few days of seeming better but then regressed right back.
    I haven't read any other replies to you post yet... so sorry about your horse... I just wanted to make a comment about Doxy, even though you may already know this. Doxy has anti-inflammatory properties and can make any horse move better while it's on the drug. For this reason, people often think that because a horse moves more soundly while on Doxy, it means the Doxy has addressed/inhibited the Lyme. Which is often not the case (depends on the particular case - it's just that it's hard to know why the horse is moving better... is it the anti-inflammatory aspect, or has the Doxy worked on the bug? There's often no clear indicator which. If the horse has other issues, those and not Lyme may be the cause of the lameness too, in which case, being on Doxy, the horse will seem better while on it.)

Lyme disease is a crappy thing and so little is still known about it. According to some vets I've spoken with, researchers do not have the amount of funds they need to establish new studies on it.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

My vet feels that a lot of horses that are treated for Lyme and get better may not have had Lyme at all, but some other bacterial disease, often tick borne as well. So, it can be hard to compare Lyme cases as many may not have *been* lyme. However, if it IS lyme, it can hide in the joints and cause a relapse until the reservoir is treated. That's why going the IV route is often the best course of treatment.
    We sent our horse out for a month of IV at the vets and it really wasn't all that more than stall board for the month. We've had no issues with her in the year and half since the treatment.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I have a mare that has relapsed 4 times with Lyme. I suspect because she was not treated long enough with Doxy (long time ago before they really understood the length of treatment needed -- 30 days was the standard).

Once she was treated for 90 days with Doxy she relapsed twice -- within 10 days of vaccinations. Granted, that is anecdotal, but I felt it may be connected due to stess on the immune system.

Since then, I put her on Doxy a week before vaccs and keep her on it for 10 days post -- no relapses since then.

BTW, with each relapse her "turnaround" time on the Doxy took longer and longer. First treatment, she responded with in days. Relapse #1 - a week, Relapse #3 - two weeks. Relapse #4 -- 3 weeks.

Nevertheless, with the protocal I use now around vaccination time, she remains sound.

Quote Originally Posted by S Doner View Post
    I have a mare that has relapsed 4 times with Lyme. I suspect because she was not treated long enough with Doxy (long time ago before they really understood the length of treatment needed -- 30 days was the standard).

Once she was treated for 90 days with Doxy she relapsed twice -- within 10 days of vaccinations. Granted, that is anecdotal, but I felt it may be connected due to stess on the immune system.

Since then, I put her on Doxy a week before vaccs and keep her on it for 10 days post -- no relapses since then.

BTW, with each relapse her "turnaround" time on the Doxy took longer and longer. First treatment, she responded with in days. Relapse #1 - a week, Relapse #3 - two weeks. Relapse #4 -- 3 weeks.

Nevertheless, with the protocal I use now around vaccination time, she remains sound.
    Interesting.

I was wondering, what were her Lyme symptoms? Was she lame on a particular leg or ouchy all over or ?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

No, she was never overtly lame. But, it was as if her skin was on fire and she hurt all over. Didn't want to be touched/groomed (normally LOVES it), "scrambling" on the lunge line as if she was running away from something, etc. Not wanting to lift her hind legs for the farrier, etc. Generally, ornery and over-sensitive about everything, when in fact she's normally a little worker bee, willing and happy.

S. Doner (formerly "SID")

Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    Many vets recommend no treatment when there are no clinical symptoms, even if they show active titers. The jury is definitely still out on this as far as I can see... I myself am at a loss as to whether or not to treat my 3 year old who tested positive but has no symptoms. Almost all vets said don't treat unless she does have symptoms. That many horses have been infected and will never have any problems. I just wish there were a long-term study to determine whether this is really true or not. More interest and funding in the veterinary research community is SO needed with regard to equine Lyme.

FWIW, I think the "Symptoms" can be so diverse, and so subtle, that it's a hard call.

My horse was in the very low positives on ELISA, just enough over "equivocal" to be sure, but not a whole lot. And, except for the breathing, he did not have any symptoms. At least, no symptoms that ANYONE, including me, recognized.

He did 45 days of 100 doxy a day. He got probiotics with that, but supps were cut way down so as not to interfere with antibiotic absorption (I think magnesium was a possible issue, maybe?). BUT he also got another month after finishing his treatment off - I had pulled his shoes and wanted to let his feet grow for the winter.

I think that rest time was very important, actually, because when I did ride him again, I realized the poor animal WAS sore, but it was so subtle it was nothing you'd notice. I only noticed in fact because of the absence of hesitation, and the increased smoothness in bending.

SO...I'd say it can affect them in lots of ways. We're going to test again in mid-May, and if my horse is EVER even a wee bit "different" I'll retest.

Lyme sucks, no doubt. But I also think it may help to try to give their bodies a chance to recover from the treatment before you can really determine how they're doing. JMHO...