The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

If your horse is a mare, there is a lot of studies that show drops in estrogen make the bugs active (for humans).
    That is VERY interesting, and might be part of the explanation of Music's sensitivity to day length.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Only 30 days won't do it. Trust me. I think at this point, most people agree that 90 days is the minimum for the doxy to really kick it. Otherwise you end up like Kiwayu and it comes back WORSE the second time around.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

90 days???? Yikes!!! Guess I'll need to talk to my vet about that.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

30 days DEFINITELY will NOT cut it. Heck, the 45 days I did this past Fall didn't even cut it. Let me tell you, it comes back NASTY the second time around!!!!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Default DOXY: 30 DAYS? 90 DAYS?

ok..I need to go back and look at the vet sheets, but there's NO WAY Luie was on Doxy for more than 30 days....actually, I *think* it was 3 weeks. Granted he was getting the Ledum at the same time..... I'll look at his records tomorrow and post.

At the time, I spoke with our vet at length about just this issue: she readily admitted there is no good *standard* treatment for Lyme. Everyone is still trying to figure it out....I'm just so thankful that he's healthy and happy now. I wish this for all your horses.....

Luie- My vet told me that there's no standard treatment either and that this disease is NOT very well known. All I know is that obviously 45 days wasn't enough the first time, I can't see it being enough the second time. My horse is one of those animals that doesn't seem to follow the "book" with anything. My vet agrees.
    Kristen

Kiwayu, from reading yourposts, it does seem that your horse does like to do things different from the rest!

We started Liz today on the Doxy. Thankfully she gets beet pulp as part of her feed so it was easy to mix it in with that and she never noticed it was there .

The vet is coming out next week to finish spring shots and also to bring me more Doxy. I will talk to her then about going longer then 30 days.
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

LoriO- I'd love for you to post about the progress or issues you're experiencing with Liz. It's nice to have a support group. I could really use one right now because it seems like I'm just having the worst luck with everything in my life at the moment.
    Kristen

Well, my horse is lame, my barn burned down and my best friend died of breast cancer. This all happened in the last 6 months. (True)

Feel better now?

Mary, sorry to hear that. I hope things get better.

- gillian

Mary- My horse has Lyme, and my Mom was just diagnosed with Breast Cancer yesterday.
    Kristen

Oh shi*, Kiwayu. I'm sorry. That stinks. At least the Lyme is treatable, and my mom is a long term breast cancer survivor.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I posted this before but, here goes:

http://www.alchemistshoppe.com/index.html

This company makes up a Doxycycline syrup specifically for horses that they will ship to you. The horses like the taste and it is only a 20 ML dose 2x's a day- I just squirt it in the feed and Cosmo licks it up! You just have to have your vet call in the perscription and they will formulate it specifically for you! It was $340 for a 30 day supply including shipping.

I'm sorry to hear about what you all are going through. I have a horse that had Lyme and know of a couple of others with Lyme. I have found that the length of treatment with doxy depends upon the level of reaction in the lyme test. The shortest treatment protocol that was effective for the horses was 6 weeks. I know of one that was treated for an additional 6 weeks because he was still mildly symptomatic I have been told by one of our vets and found through research that the organism can lie dormant in various tissues in the body (muscle, nerve, etc) and that the horse, dog, etc can have flareups during times of stress. I have not had a horse with a flare up, but do have a dog that had a lyme test that was strongly reactive that has had flare ups. We also give our horses (and dogs) on doxy probiotics.

On the geldings we always saw improvement within a week, and scores were always below 5000. With the old mare (30+) We never saw improvement, and her score was 23,000. However, she also had severe arthritis in her hocks, so that could have masked it. Her temperament never changed before or after treatment--always sweet, easy going, and spooky.

Hi folks, just thought I would pop in with a quick update.

We started Liz on the Doxy and so far so good. She has been handleing it well with no signs yet of any stomache problems. Granted it is early but still thumbs up for now.

Of course just to add to things and make things more interesting it looks like she is developing an abcess in her right front foot. I guess dealing with Lyme wasn't enough for her, she had to make things more challenging. Now to start the hoof soaks.

Horses....can't live with them and you can't live without them!!!!
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Default jingles for the sick horsies!

kipper had lyme 5 years ago or so. then she went lame (related? we'll never know for sure). fast forward to this year and she just completed her 2nd limited distance ride in a month (30 miles last weekend and 25 miles 4 weeks ago). there is hope. she was awfully cranky about being touched. we only treated for 30 days. don't forget the probiotics to keep their stomach flora healthy.
    lots of luck!
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Update on Kiwayu: He's starting to show some signs of improvement. Thank god, considering we're on day 17 of the doxy. Still stiff/lame, but looking happier. Not as grouchy, but still doesn't want to be touched in places. Hopefully we'll continue to improve!
    Kristen

Default So Glad to Hear your good news!

YES!!! Keep it up! Luie sez celebrate:....'carrots for everyone'....

Well, I spoke to soon. Lizzy didn't want to eat her grain tonight (although she was eating her hay) and was acting like her tummy was bothering her. Nothing major but still not quite right.

I am going to double check with the vet in the AM but I think I am going to stop the doxy until the probiotics I ordered arrive. Hopefully that will be in the next day or two. My poor girl!!!
    ignorance!" Officer Beck