The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry advice

Hi

I have an OTTB - he is a wonderful animal such a kind heart.
    Have owned him for 3 years.
    A few months ago he started feeling "off" to me - he wasnt tracking up equally with both hind legs. He was NOT lame but I was very worried about him. I had a chiro work on him, had him massaged by equine body worker etc.

He kept "telling me" that something was wrong with his hind leg.
    I took it easy with him resting him etc.
    The other day there was an incident where a groom walked into his stable and my normally gentle horse put his ears flat back and pinned the groom to the corner of the stable.
    I intervened and the groom told me it was just because the horse was eating...
    another occassion while my horse was being massaged (I was watching) same groom just stood outside the stable and filled up my horses water bucket. My horse immediately put his ears straight back towards the guy.
    About a year ago my horse bit this groom on the back.

I have been worrying about this - never seen him so angry with a human before.
    Was thinking about installing a camera to watch what was going on when I wasnt around.

anyway my horse is no longer telling me he is sore - and his strides are much more even when trotting - have been doing a lot of ground work.
    however 3 days ago I found out by accident (total misunderstanding) from one of the other riders' father that my horse had been kicked by the groom roughly 2 months ago.

What is even more disturbing - the owner of the stables KNEW about the incident - didnt tell me. DIDNT separate my horse and the groom.
    I have no idea how many "incidents" there were because I know my horse was suddenly afraid of me putting his numnah or any clothing near his stable in november last year (I imagine this is before the escalation to violence)
    He is no longer afraid of numnahs thank goodness.
    And luckily doesnt hate any other humans except the one.

I also found 2 dead birds in my horses' paddock water bucket (and the water was full of algae) same groom was involved - NOW I think he was punishing my horse.

The stable owner / manager KNEW I was worried about my horse.
    Never got a vet to check the horse.
    Never separated the groom.

I am told by the other riders that I should give her a chance that she made a mistake. She has said that she will fire the groom (2 months later)
    My feeling is I need to get my horse as far away as soon as possible. I am so upset and sickened by this.

what are your thoughts on the matter?
    If she had just told me the truth from the start I would have been angry with the groom but to cover it up like that?!?!?!

It is not the stable owners responsibility to have a vet check the horse unless it's an emergency and the owner cannot be reached. That IMO is the horse owner's responsibility.

I agree, if the groom is treating your horse this way he should be fired.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Im not sure I'd be happy there if my horse was getting so reactive. New barn might be your best solution. Sigh. Very sad.

Not barn owners job to decide when NQR requires vet help. That's your call.

Glad you are getting to root of it all tho
    i wish nothing but the best for you

thank you - yes sure not the barn owners responsibility to get vet check.
    But if they know horse is being hurt by groom and I (as horse owner) isn't told what happened surely she should at least have told me what the cause was so that I could have called the vet?
    I visit my horse 6 days a week... and see her each time.

I also questioned all the other groom in the stable as to what they thought was wrong with my horse - they all saw the groom hurt my horse and NO ONE bothered to speak up - just make me sick

I spoke to her on many occasions about what I thought was wrong with my horse.
    LOL she told me to get a physio to look at him - Im not sure the physio could have helped with bruising?

Yes I am so relieved that its not my riding "only" abuse making my horse sore

I agree with brody... if that's going on and no one said anything, I would be looking for a new place asap... I would not let them have another chance for someone else there to be abusive to my horse.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Be careful about plans to install a hidden camera. You may want to check the laws of your state before you try that maneuver.

As an alternative, you might try changing up your visitation times, especially if it's the kind of place that welcomes you 24/7. Go at times when the horses are being handled by the workers (morning feedings, stall cleaning time, etc.). At my last barn, they had published hours, but the barn owner was OK with us being there at any time, mainly concerned about people riding unsafely. So I made many 4-6am visits. At the start they were medical in nature, but over the years of boarding there, I liked doing these little surprise inspections. I never found anything grossly "wrong," but shared my findings with other boarders who were sometimes surprised by how things were done.

I also learned the hard way that I should listen to what my horse is telling me, only in my case it was about a farrier. Over the course of two years, his behavior for the farrier got worse and worse. His "lameness" due to ringbone and arthritis also got worse and worse, to the point that I was told by two vets that he should be retired. Come to find out the farrier was not doing a good job on his feet and was ultimately the source of this "lameness" problem. With better trimming, he was ridden another year and a half, and with previcox, he rode another year and a half after that. (All light trail riding, nothing too serious, but still, some is better than none.)

Best of luck to you in figuring out what's going on. Be very cautious about burning your bridges with this facility or the people, before or even after you move out (if you do). You just never know how much worse some other place may turn out to be.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you so much for advice - will def not burn bridges but am looking for new yard.
    I live in South Africa where they dont even arrest murders so not too worried re the law -will get a camera for new yard but will check with the owners first.
    Yes I am doing the surprise visit thing now.

Sorry about your horse so frustrating - its amazing what they can tell us - I will never not listen carefully to him again. He is a very very clever boy in retrospect.

I knew something was wrong I just couldn't figure out what.
    Hopefully he just keeps getting stronger and stronger now.

The BO is exceedingly negligent in allowing the help to mishandle horses, not providing clean safe water for a horse in his care.

He is paying this groom for what? To kick horses, and not do his job? Another yard would be a better place for your horse.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Hi everyone

It is quite a while later and just wanted to give an update!

The original yard owner kicked me out a short while after I wrote this post. She gave me 24 hours notice because I am a "trouble maker" - she found out that I had been looking at other yards - after I told her I was leaving and even asked her advice on good yards lol The groom is still employed by her last I heard. Really hope he is not looking after horses.

With 24 hours notice didn't have much time to look for a yard.
    We ended up moving to a yard where a friend was - was very competitive and although they went out of their way to make us welcome (and the groom was THE BEST IN THE WORLD) I wasn't quite comfortable and my horse was unhappy (have never seen him behave so badly before - was quite embarrassing)

I spent the next few months looking for yard and we moved to a yard where both of us are extremely happy - never seen him so happy and the grooms are lovely.

I think it happened for a reason.
    This yard is horsey heaven.
    If anyone reading this has similar issue - I would say trust your horse.
    And don't be afraid of moving to a new place - you might even end up at a better place than you ever had before.
    Look for a yard where the horses tell you they are happy... that's what I did - asked the horses

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBD View Post
    Hi everyone

It is quite a while later and just wanted to give an update!

The original yard owner kicked me out a short while after I wrote this post. She gave me 24 hours notice because I am a "trouble maker" - she found out that I had been looking at other yards - after I told her I was leaving and even asked her advice on good yards lol The groom is still employed by her last I heard. Really hope he is not looking after horses.

With 24 hours notice didn't have much time to look for a yard.
    We ended up moving to a yard where a friend was - was very competitive and although they went out of their way to make us welcome (and the groom was THE BEST IN THE WORLD) I wasn't quite comfortable and my horse was unhappy (have never seen him behave so badly before - was quite embarrassing)

I spent the next few months looking for yard and we moved to a yard where both of us are extremely happy - never seen him so happy and the grooms are lovely.

I think it happened for a reason.
    This yard is horsey heaven.
    If anyone reading this has similar issue - I would say trust your horse.
    And don't be afraid of moving to a new place - you might even end up at a better place than you ever had before.
    Look for a yard where the horses tell you they are happy... that's what I did - asked the horses
    You are so right. I don't need to board, but have in the past and my first thing to do was look at the horses boarded there. It gave me all I needed to know and I was never unsatisfied.