The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Exotic Animals

Good morning

Anyone have exotic pets running out and about, in the house or barn?
    I've got chinchillas in the house. They're so cute, sticking their little noses through the bar looking for a Cheerio.
    Tell me about your critters please!
    Last edited by Kiera; May. 27, 2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Need to not post when tired. Grammar sucks.

Don't really have any stories about them but do have kangaroos, emus, deer running around the backyard ( I consider the farm to be my back yard which is about 10K acres). Along with 200 odd TBs and 2K sheep.

Always see something interesting on the farm though I no longer think of kangaroos as being exotic.

It was pretty entertaining watching a north american born dog see his first kangaroo. Didn't know what to think of that big bouncing thing!

P.

ps. Oh and you can't forget the insanely poisonous snakes and spiders though I don't see them to often.

I have a 20 year old chinchilla. At this point we think he is immortal. He still runs in his wheel, bounces around, and doesn't even look old.
    You are what you dare.

3 members found this post helpful.

GotGait, that's so cool! They're wonderful critters.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    Don't really have any stories about them but do have kangaroos, emus, deer running around the backyard ( I consider the farm to be my back yard which is about 10K acres). Along with 200 odd TBs and 2K sheep.

Always see something interesting on the farm though I no longer think of kangaroos as being exotic.

It was pretty entertaining watching a north american born dog see his first kangaroo. Didn't know what to think of that big bouncing thing!

P.

ps. Oh and you can't forget the insanely poisonous snakes and spiders though I don't see them to often.

Everything sounds fun - except for that part!!

Well, ok, now you have to post pics.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I have a 210 LB Pot Belly presently asleep on her bed at my feet! Does that count? She has turned me into SUCH a pig person, I can't imagine my life without one!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

2 members found this post helpful.

With the first name of Liz it was a natural that I would have lizards. My iguana lived to be 17 and had his own iguan-arium in a spare basement room. He had some great fake ficus trees, ferns, basking branches, rubbermaid pools for soaking, carpeted ramps and plenty of humidifiers. Every bit like the rain forest except for the predators. Lizards are a lot of work but I kinda miss the ol' guy. I rescued a series of spayed, female iguanas for him, too, and he loved having company. All of the girls had poor upbringings so he outlived the entire flock of ladies.

I've had my fair share of lizards in aquariums, too. My guy and I used to catch moths by the outdoor lights in the summer and throw them in the gecko's tanks. They would go WILD for something that wasn't a cricket! They also loved fruit baby food. They'd run down to the dish and lap it up with their tongues. This is approved food for day geckos - it wasn't considered junk food in their diet. One jar of mango baby food lasts a long time when the animal eating it goes through a teaspoon a week...

Had a desert lizard, too - a uromastyx. Beautiful animal but again, a ton of care to do it right.

Lizards aren't for everyone but I sure have enjoyed the ones I've kept. Currently I am lizard free...but I window shop on petfinder for the adoptable iguanas all the time. When I win that Power Ball jackpot I am going to build a home with a custom iguana room. Just watch me!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I really want a chinchilla. I won't get one anytime in the near future because I'm not sure my dog would be very nice to it, plus its against most apartment/rental regulations. I love them though - a friend had two at uni and they were so cute and snuggly. I know they love dust baths, so maybe it'd be better to wait until I have more space/rooms in my house anyway. But please, post pics of your chinchillas so we can admire them!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I'll make sure to get pics uploaded in the morning. =] they are just fun little things that can make everyone go 'aww!'. So worth it to have these guys. =]

I have a Children's python. They are the second smallest python species in the world. He is 11 years old (I've had him since he was 6 months) and 2.5 feet long and won't get any bigger. I say he's the chihuahua if the python world, he even has that "attitude" of thinking he's bigger than he really is! His name is Norbert and he can be a bit of an arse but I love the bugger.

I used to study NA Species of snakes. At one point I had 17 different species.
    I currently still have Mr Bus who is going on 15 (which is twice their average life expectancy). He's a Northern Blue Tongue Skink
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Snakes are so cool. I'm terrified of them, but still think they're cool.

Here are a couple pictures of the kids, as I call them.
    Foxy http://fav.me/d66wcm2

Group http://fav.me/d66wcbq

Darkstar - http://fav.me/d66we3e

The girls- http://fav.me/d66web9

If the off-topic day doesn't close, I'll post a small vid later.

Where's everyone else's pictures? =D
    Last edited by Kiera; May. 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add photos

they look like they belong in a children's anime cartoon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I had a roommate with a Chinese Water Dragon thing once. That thing was ALWAYS getting loose and ending up in my room. I was terrified to go to bed without checking every little nook and cranny because I woke up with him in my bed more than once. He was a mean bugger too, used to corner me in the bathroom. She called him Frank, I called him Demon Spawn. I used to swear that a lizard couldn't have a personality until I met him. Then he ate a bad batch of crickets (we think) and we found him keeled over in the hallyway one morning.

Now those chinchilla's I could go for! How adorable! They aren't allowed here, but DH had a friend with one growing up. Is it true that if you scare them, all their hair falls out?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Not all their hair, but some clumps do fall out when they get scared. It's part of their defense- if a predator grabs them, chinchillas can "slip" their fur and hopefully get the predator to drop them. Mouthful of fur is kinda gross. XD

Our renter is weaning wolf pups in the backyard. Apparently he has a license and raises them for some legitimate reason. Cute little things!
    Quarry Rat

I have a great selection of parrots who are AWESOME, and a chameleon. In the past, I have had hedgehogs and a minipig, who also rocked my world. I can't imagine my life w/o them!

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Our renter is weaning wolf pups in the backyard. Apparently he has a license and raises them for some legitimate reason. Cute little things!
    Good Lord. As much as I'd like to, I'm not going to touch this one.

But as a landlord, I hope you have all your ducks in a row, dear.