The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So ... now that I'm "old", what kind of magazines??

Haha. I recently had some kids competing in the IEA national finals and had to fly to Syracuse, NY from GA. Since most of my reading is now done via the iPad, and there is that block of time where all electronic devices are banned on the planes, I wanted to pick up a magazine or 2 to pass the time. Um ... I realized that I have NO idea what to buy!! Women's World seems a little too *mature*, but the Cosmo I picked up seemed completely irrelevant.

So, what about you? What magazines do you read? I'm 34, already have several horsey subscriptions so I'd already read those. I'm not big on gardening or decorating, so Home and Garden type magazines are fairly irrelevant too. Shape? Women's Fitness? Help!! Lol.

Sorry, but you are not old at 34. Maybe 20 years from now....

8 members found this post helpful.

Glamour! Lots of style and makeup advice, without as many "2345 Ways to Please Your MAN in Bed!" If I'm not in the mood for girlie stuff I like National Geographic, Outside (hiking/adventure), Time, and The Atlantic. Oh, and People is my airplane guilty pleasure.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

1 members found this post helpful.

Vanity Fair? Maybe Yoga Journal. FYI, 34 is not by a long shot old. Why would you even think that?

2 members found this post helpful.

Redbook? People? I pretty much stick to Vanity Fair and Time, but I do occasionally like Marie Claire for total junk.

I like Vanity Fair for long flights, lots of lengthy profiles and articles. For style I really like More Magazine, although it's targeted older than you! They do a lot of articles about successful women in all kinds of fields as well as the typical beauty, health/fitness and fashion stuff. Their clothes features really pricey but the ideas can be adapted - and frankly I don't get too dressed up anymore anyway!
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Redbook, Ladies' Home Journal, More, and Reader's Digest might have articles that appeal to you.

I like Outside, and for women's magazines Real Simple or Glamour. But I got awfully tired of "women's" magazines when we started doing ad analysis assignments on them and compared the articles to the ads - most of the reviewed products, for example, are proximal to the advertisements for the same items in many magazines. Allure is particularly bad about that one. I like reading Reader's Digest (it's the only one I have a subscription to because my sister reads it and gets a 2 for 1 subscription) and Marie Claire is a guilty pleasure when I have a couple of hours at school to kill (in the bookstore they have a reading area where you can get a cup of coffee and sit down on a comfy couch with a magazine for free. I can pretty much give you the blueprint for a Marie Claire magazine, however - they have x number of "human interest" stories,, x number of "I survived x tragedy stories," etc. Teaching magazine writing REALLY killed my love of the short form :P.

Bitch magazine is a lot of fun and promotes lots of women's issues.

Unfortunately some of the more insightful articles are all published online these days. Salon.com is good.

I love W, Vanity Fair and Jane.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Real Simple, Conde Nast Traveler, New York (regardless of where you live) are my top three.

Ooo, thank you all so much! I seriously bought a Cosmo for the plane ride because that's what I *used* to read, pre iPad. Wow. Yes, 4 million ways to pleasure your man and how to deal with your pmsing co-workers. Hmmm ... it felt a little awkward, lol. I will definitely check out those suggestions, didn't even think about Reader's Digest; my mom used to have a subscription to that!

Vanity Fair is my go-to for plane rides and places where I can't have my e-reader. I lurve it.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I love National Geographic and Popular Science. I'm a geek
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I like Real Simple and Oprah.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I'll second Reader's Digest. That's the one I always look for when I'm in a waiting room.

And National Geographic is great too.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I like Southern Living. Might be a little gardening--homey for you. Great recipes, a travel article, a house plan (I love house plans) and great recipes. A little bit of everything.
    Ride like you mean it.

Hey 'Now that YOU'RE OLD' .... the large print Reader's Digest of course

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    I like Southern Living. Might be a little gardening--homey for you. Great recipes, a travel article, a house plan (I love house plans) and great recipes. A little bit of everything.
    Heck, I had a subscription when I was a teenager. I loved the recipes especially.

I like to look for the log-cabin plan books and those sort of 'cabin life/country living' magazines (and daydream about what I'd do if I could afford to build one). I sort of liked the "girl' magazines when I was in college, but now not only are they all kind of trashy, they're about 75% advertising for crap I would not buy.

National Geographic is good though I have a subscription so I probably wouldn't buy it.

..okay, I'll often get Motor Trend, Car and Driver, or (if it's there) Top Gear.

If you live near a major metro area, subscribe to the local lifestyle magazine(s). I get great ideas of things to do and places to go near me from mine.

My "fun" magazines are InStyle and Vogue, and I actually enjoy my mom's copies of More that she lends me.

I ended up cashing in frequent flyer miles that I couldn't use for a few magazine subscriptions including: Town&Country (fun, but a bit much), Entertainment Weekly (okay), and Glamour (eww, makes me feel so prudish!)