The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I am going to do a spinal stimulator trial next month. It's somewhat like a TENS unit that is surgically implanted.
    You are what you dare.

While I don't anymore ( and I don't know why...) I had something called Chronic Daily Headache....Basically I had a headache every single day. On the rare day I woke up with out one I was bouncing on a high that would make me feel sooo energized. I'd then go out and do anything and everything I could only to be left feeling hung over the next morning.

I had this for about a decade and a half. About 3 times a month I'd get a migraine to top it off. I also had ulcer like symptoms that left me feeling like I had a hot coal sitting in the pit of my stomach.

Honestly I think I have just become numb to the pain. I have a seriously high pain tolerance and I started with pain issues so young that I think I just accepted it as daily life and trudged on the best I could. I also LIVED on NSAIDS. Which in turn made my stomach 10x worse....

For some reason I thought that everyone has chronic pain....?

I don't ever remember NOT being in a pain. It's a way of life for me. But we aren't talking major major issues here. Just ways of life things.

We have some wicked autoimmune goodies in the fam. My Grandmother has Sjogren's syndrome and Polymyocitis.
    Could explain a lot for me. I fall apart. I would have continued swimming if all of my connective tissues weren't screaming. As a kid I went to bed with bags of ice all over me every night.

When I get out of my jumping saddle I can't walk and I have to stand and pretend I'm talking to my horse a bit before finally gimping off. I ignore the pain when I'm actually riding because--well, you know. It's worth ignoring to ride.

Most people have mild Scoliosis so I don't think I'm that different. Though it's enough that I was always singled out at school for those stupid scoliosis checks.

But I've always had lower back pain. And sometimes I have that nerve thing in my hip...the one that sneaks up and makes you wipe out mid step and then fall down every time you try to get up. Usually I just roll around in the dirt and laugh (due to the situation) and scream (due to the nerve pain) all at the same time.

The fingers in my right hand are bad. They hurt all the time and my hand goes numb during various tasks.

And I also have that condition where my eustachian tubes swell during/after a work out. Not sure it's painful but it's a PITA. It's very very uncomfortable and I echo in my own head when I talk.
    So every day after I ride I usually don't talk for about 2 hours until my head is back to normal.

I think those are all issues that are normal.

I feel so terrible for those who have fibromyalgia and RA like Marshfield. : (
    Not fun.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

As others have said. I feel for you.

It is hard very hard sometimes to stay positive. I have Lyme disease, Sjogren's syndrome, bad L-5 S-1, and lastly severe chronic fibromyalgia and I have a kidney issues and you haven't had any pain til you've have renal colic.......(going back for more surgery on that this week)

I am kind of a freak when it comes to meds I will be in crazy pain before I take "real pain meds" I have found I do ok with Ibprohen daily but some days when I can't move I will take a "real pain" meds and muscle relaxer but I really try not to take them very othen . Also heat and Ice are your friend.

My horse and dogs keep me positive and motivate. They make me move around and going which I think really helps. I also found PT really does wonders but my Ins isnt great so. What did help for several months was get a shot of cortisone and though I resisted it for a long time I had had a very bad few days and could not move and my musclles were knotted up so bad I asked the DR. for it and it did make a big difference for a long time.
    Good luck and hugs

I understand! I have a congenital neuromuscular disorder/prior surgeries which causes a lot of pain. I got a dog. Seriously, it's the best thing ever for me. Just so happens that mine's a service dog who also helps me do things that are painful/difficult for me, but even if he wasn't... it forces me to get out, no matter how tired or in pain I am.

While I don't personally deal with chronic pain, I do work with a company who treats chronic pain. I won't go into specifics, but you may want to talk to your doctor about Cymbalta. Lots of very positive results with this product.

I have zero cartilage in my knees My knee bones don't fit together and are buckling. My knee bones are trashed and I have arthritis in them. I'm allergic to all NSAIDS except aspirin and I have to buy Tylenol Arthritis off the internet because the company doesn't distribute them anymore. Four Tylenol and four Arthritis pills a day have been very helpful but recently I have had horrible waves of pain that came on suddenly in my knees, back, and feet. I thought I had gout! Plus I've been fighting a chronic bladder infection for fifteen years and have been on low dose antibiotics for two.

I have a great chiropractor who helps but the pain has been terrible. Even with a double dose of my medicine on the last episode I could barely walk into the chiro's office. He told me my knees were inflamed. At the store I saw a magazine headline with "Best anti-inflammatory diet ever." It was the South Beach No Gluten diet. Naturally I went on it and within three days my knee pain was barely there. It's been two months with very little pain as I (easily) gave up processed food and discovered that even so-called "Whole Wheat" has been processed so that much of it is indigestible. These wheat fragments cause inflammation all over your body. ( The day I got so much pain I had just polished off a big bowl of cream of wheat. No more- ever) Another great result of no more wheat is no more chronic bladder infection. Gone! No more daily antibiotics! Yay!

I'm also leaving off foods that cause inflammation (sugar is the worst- but I don't crave it anymore) and using foods that relieve pain and inflammation. I've learned to cook with tumeric which is a strong pain reliever as well. It's yummy. Here are the links that helped me. I strongly recommend you try this. It's free and relieving inflammation relieves not just pain but protects again heart disease and cancer.

These are anti inflammatory foods.

[http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-a...ory-foods.htm/

Here are foods to avoid:

[http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-i...to-avoid.htm/]

Although this list leaves off no- wheat plans, doing that has helped me most of all. The chiro says my inflammation level is a one out of ten instead of a seven or eight out of ten level. Yay! I hope lowering inflammation works for lowering your pain and inflammation.

I am not a doctor and this is anecdotal advice. Check with your doc before stopping any prescribed medicine, especially if you have R.A.

May God (or your higher power) bless you as you seek a pain free life.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty M View Post
    I'm allergic to all NSAIDS except aspirin and I have to buy Tylenol Arthritis off the internet because the company doesn't distribute them anymore. Four Tylenol and four Arthritis pills a day have been very helpful
    I am sure that someone has told you but be real, real careful with the Tylenol. I have a friend (a nurse, no less) who had a liver transplant because she damaged her liver badly taking too much Tylenol over the long term.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller