The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP Smash

I just watched the series finale of Smash on NBC. Even though the show had some ups and downs, to put it mildly, I'm sad to see it end. I really enjoy Broadway shows in person, and it was fun to see what goes on behind the scenes, even if it was not always realistic.

I'm glad they made the effort to tie up the loose ends on the story lines, again maybe not realistically, but at least there were no cliffhangers. It was great to see some Broadway performers get the chance to be seen by a wider audience. Some of those people are incredibly talented.

Yes, I really enjoyed this show also and am very sad to see it canceled.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I saw the first season, and enjoyed it, but didn't follow up with the second season. I did enjoy it and I'm not sure why I didn't continued watching it.

Also watched it last year, but didn't have time for this season. Caught the last 10 minutes last night, so "kind of" have an idea what happened! But sometimes the shows were a bit too drawn out. And I get so frustrated with stupid breakups. But liked it enough to someday catch up on DVD, etc.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I am going to have to catch the final episode on demand.

I might wait though as I am sad to see it go.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

I really liked it but I think "Nashville" is so much better as far as the writing and story lines. Smash had some incredible actors (Anjelica Huston!) but Katherine McPhee was pretty limited. And I got very, very tired of Jimmy overeracting or misunderstanding something and leaving in the night....all the time! Every episode! That part was unrealistic...two poor unknown, unpublished writers get discovered and the whole time Jimmy is an ungrateful, arrogant ass!

1 members found this post helpful.

I enjoyed the show, but I never could get past my dislike of the main character, Karen. It spoiled the show for me. Still, sad to see it go, there are too many reality and game shows on these days. Nice to have something different.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

NJRider, I enjoy Nashville, too.

If there were an award for most talented, appealing actor playing the most awful, unappealing character, the guy playing Jimmy would have to win.

3 members found this post helpful.

Just watched the finale (thank, On Demand!) I really appreciated Smash for introducing me to Megan Hilty, Leslie Odom Jr, and Christian Borle (IRL-he’s straight and single Love the “shout-outs” to his ex-wife Sutton Foster in the fake Tony’s

I wish the Broadway industry had done more to keep the show on air – I haven’t wanted to shell out the big bucks to watch a musical in a long time, but “Smash” rekindled that desire; I’m sure if the show had continued, it would bring more viewers to Broadway.
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Also agree that Katherine McPhee's acting sucks. And I'm glad that at least "Nashville" has been renewed; hopefully won't get cancelled second season too! *Knocks on wood*
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Quote Originally Posted by linquest View Post
    Christian Borle (IRL-he’s straight and single Love the “shout-outs” to his ex-wife Sutton Foster in the fake Tony’s
    You just blew my mind a little.

I'll really miss Smash. I have "The Right Regrets" and "Broadway, Here I Come" on repeat. Some great actors and interesting storylines, though I got tired of Karen and Jimmy quickly. Still, I wish it would continue. It was much better than much of the other trash on TV right now.

As far as the Broadway community working to keep the show on air, everything that I've seen lends itself to the idea that the community as a whole was VERY supportive of the show. I think the show failed because it was presenting so many stories without really making us care about any of them.

I am a serious theater nerd and I love a bad TV show, but even I gave up after the first part of this season. Hard to watch something every week when you just don't give a crap about any of the characters. I watched the finale, and enjoyed it more than the bulk of the series.

That said, I found this article by Marc Shaiman really interesting: http://clients.terraceproductions.co...ye_norma_jean/

I like the show in general, because I liked the idea of the show. None of the acting was very good, but hey, it's TV. The singing and production numbers were well done. The story as a whole didn't really have somewhere to go after this season anyway.. both shows got to Broadway, were successful in some way. . the end.
    I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you

I did not know it had been cancelled or that last night was the finale. I loved Season 1, but had drifted away from Season 2 and was not sure what was going on. I think they got away from the core characters too much, and had too many story lines going. Some really talented people, and unlike most here, I really liked Katherine McPhee. I think the way the character Karen was written was more at issue than her acting. They could not seem to mke up their minds about who would have a romance with whom...

I really enjoyed the show. But I loathed the Jimmy character. I found his whole storyline unbelievable too. Any unknown would have been grateful not a total ass had his musical been produced. I think his introduction was the beginning of the end for the show.

I haven't seen the finale yet so at least I have that to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylar View Post

That said, I found this article by Marc Shaiman really interesting: http://clients.terraceproductions.co...ye_norma_jean/
    Wow, that was a great peek behind the scenes. Thanks for posting it!

Smash was my guilty pleasure show, and since I was a fan of many of the Broadway actors before the show, it was fun to see them in a tv show. Story lines were ridiculous, but I loved the music and the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie A View Post
    Smash was my guilty pleasure show, and since I was a fan of many of the Broadway actors before the show, it was fun to see them in a tv show. Story lines were ridiculous, but I loved the music and the concept.
    Ditto.

I feel the same way about Glee, and to a lesser degree, Nashville. I will sit through some pretty iffy plotlines if I really enjoy the music.