The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Yea Spock and uhura seem unecessary as an item. Is that a relationship that JJ Abrams created in this universe, or is t part of the original story?
    It's new to this timeline.

I will say I LOL'd IRL at the 2 red shirt jokes.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

1 members found this post helpful.

I am guessing that with the total destruction of the planet Vulcan, Spock's dating options are pretty limited. But I have to admit I was a little on the fence until the "are you two FIGHTING? What's that even LIKE?" comment from Kirk. That was so..... trek.

I thought the villain sounded like Picard which seemed a little strange. But I thought he was interesting in the ways he was like the original khan, but dissimilar. I liked how they changed his vendetta's focus from Kirk to the Federation at large.....

I pretty much chalk any inconsistencies (faster warp speeds, prematurely destroyed moons, etc) up to "well, there was that whole thing with time travel and the Romulans which didn't happen "pre-Kirk" in the original ST Universe..... This is an alternate timeline and things are different".

Jennifer

I'm going to have to fight the Benedict Cumberbatch haters. He was great. side benefit: I could watch him talk all. day. long. RAWR.

The movie was good fun, but not what I would expect from JJ Abrams, especially after how good the first one was. This one had a very disjointed storyline.

By the way -- a blue eyed Khan is totally possible. Lots of people from Northern India and that area have blue or green eyes due to the Mughal influence.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

2 members found this post helpful.

You should pul up BC's ads for jaguar on YouTube. Yum yum yum.

3 members found this post helpful.

Just got back from it, and I loved it. I'm a fan of Trek, and was even named (middle name) after a character from an episode my parents saw when I was in utero. Seen all the shows, etc. But, I'm not one of those fans who views the old stuff as a sacred text.

I loved the movie, adored Benedict, and honestly thought this movie was superior in many ways to Wrath. I thought RM was iconic but over the top, and I found BC much scarier. I did think "the scene" didn't carry the weight of the original, but I didn't think it was supposed to, and I thought the juxtaposition or roles was rather inspired.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Don't encourage me, KateKat.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I saw it with my parents and really enjoyed it. The reboot is definitely made and constructed for the 2,000-ers, but even my father, who is a die-hard-to-the-death Trek fan, has said he enjoys the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    I'm going to have to fight the Benedict Cumberbatch haters. He was great. side benefit: I could watch him talk all. day. long. RAWR.
    His voice was giving me some rather uncomfortable feelings, as I was sitting next to my parents. Had to make sure I wasn't panting else I be embarassed

But seriously, that man has a voice that I want whispered in my ear every damn second of every damn day. Holy smokes.

On a more professional note, I thought he was great as Khan. He was the perfect anti-hero to me, not just straight villain.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

I haven't seen the new movie yet, but the last movie already screwed with the original storyline.

1. The destruction of Vulcan from what I remember never happened. All through the original series and TNG there were ancient temples and monuments on Vulcan. Not possible if a "New Vulcan" had only recently been settled with only a remnant population.

2. The death of Spock's mother - hard for her to show up in the future, as she did in a few episodes of the original series and at least 1 movie..

As for the Spock/ Uhura relationship - that was another new one.

***I will admit it has been a long time since I watched the original series, so there are probably more details I missed.

Christa

I saw it and loved it. Absolutely nothing negative to say. Good fun film with enough Trek lore to satisfy fans and enough new stuff to take it into the current decade.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I enjoyed the movie on a couple of different levels.

It made me laugh that JJ Abrams took the Must-Have Trekkie List and checked the boxes. Vulcan Nerve pinch - check. Kaaahhhhhhnnnn! - check. Kirk with women - check. "I'm a doctor, not a rocket technician!" - check. Tribble - check. Reference to Harcourt Fenton Mudd - check. And on and on and on. Wonderful. Keep us old fogeys happy.

On the other hand, I was able to bring my 14-year old non-Trekkie (the shame, I know) and he had a blast with the action scenes that bored the tar out of me. And he's interested in seeing more of the original series to get the backstory and figure out why my husband, my older son and I were laughing our fools heads off at certain scenes.

I'm willing to "erase" the old story line and embrace the new. The actors are doing a bang-up job of taking in the mannerisms (New Spock needs to learn to arch an eyebrow, though) and creating a more modern feel to it all. It's just a parallel universe, and let them play in it. So, there's something for everyone, and a new generation of Trekkies to spend money on the flotsam that gets sold. Well played.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I'm a long time ST fan and I liked it but liked the last one better. I like the nods to the original and I like Chris Pine as Kirk. I'm actually ok with all of the main characters except I'm not in love with the Spock romance thing and am hoping he becomes more Vulcan in future movies. (just a note, I had this with a small v and spell check didn't like it which I find kind of funny since it's fictional) I was also bored with all the death/destruction/blowing things up. Movie could have been 15 minutes shorter and, as far as I was concerned, had a bigger impact. I was also confused by the distance thing at the end. (how did they get back to earth so fast yet take so darn long to fall?) Also really hated the fighting on the moving shuttles stuff, particularly when it came to jumping from one to the other. I actually wasn't a fan of the original Khan stuff so I was ok with them taking some liberties with that. I was a little concerned when I saw an interview with Abrams where he said something to the effect that the original was too cerebral for him and that seems to have played out with all the bodies flying out of the ship and the long fight scenes. Overall, it's still good Star Trek fun.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    Don't encourage me, KateKat.

Do eeeeeeeettt. Same with his promo for the London Olympics he did for BBC One. Or his poetry readings. I could go on. I may have spent a little too much time on Yoube and Google this past weekend.

Also, not only does he have a fabulous voice is he SO well spoken, funny and intelligent. Hoping Hollywood doesn't ruin him.

Christa P : The whole point of the re-boot was to create an alternate universe and add events that *didn't* happen in the original storyline! That's why it's a "re-boot" and not a "re-make"
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Just got back. Completely unimpressed. Chris Pine, whom I adore as Kirk, was good and had a few good one-liners, but, not as sharp and quick and funny as in the previous movie. Kahn character does not have anywhere near the presence and theatrical timing that Ricardo Montalban had. Totally not interested in the Uhuru/Spock story line -- and I hope Uhuru doesn't mind that she only had about three lines in the whole movie. Totally uninterested in watching Spock lose it emotionally -- why is it interesting to see another human emotional struggle? Let that be Kirk's job. Spock is interesting because he's half Vulcan, not because he's half human. Way too much crying in this movie. Totally uninterested in seeing characters running up and down the halls over and over again -- though I am curious as to how they manage to make it from one end of the ship to the other in 8 seconds. Tired of Uhuro flipping her stupid ponytail -- enough with the ponytail already. Also, the plot in this one was very, very thin...... I didn't see it in 3-D, so maybe 3-D would have distracted me from the stupid plot. I kept waiting for the story to kick in, and it never did. And, completely disgusted with this version of the radiation poisoning and "the needs of the many." Had no authenticity in this version, and was an insult to the original (which was pretty sappy anyway). Again, too much crying in this movie. Totally out of character for Kirk to say he was scared and wanted help. I am not looking for Jim Kirk to be a sensitive male. I want him to be brash, creative, irreverent, and yet to still end up doing the right thing. Totally disgusted with young Spock yelling "Kaaaaahhhhnnnn" - really not interested in close-ups of people's teeth as they're yelling.

I may never get anything done ever again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5kCfXIPcfw

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    OMG!!! That is freakin AWESOME!!!! Hysterical!

I liked the 2009 movie, not sure if I will see the new one. I feel pretty strongly about Ricardo Monteblan as Kahn - the Wrath of Kahn is a GREAT movie- and Benedict whatever his name is looks like a child to me.

Last edited by KateKat; May. 29, 2013 at 01:36 PM.

I saw it in 3D and really enjoyed it I'm an old-style Trekkie, but got out of watching for many years for some reason. However, I've gotta say the two most recent Star Trek films absolutely reawakened my love. Some things were a bit off, but I was able to shut my brain down and just enjoy the experience (a rarity for me).