The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default Star Trek

Saw it tonight...and mostly, loved it! I noticed it was done by the guy who did Lost.
    I am a trekkie from way back in the day, and they only got a few things wrong, lol.

And where did Chris Pine come from anyway?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

1 members found this post helpful.

I can't stand JJ Abrams. But otherwise I enjoyed it. I loved the music. Wish the women weren't bimbos and the relationship between Spock and Uhura gag. Like they can't have a woman just to be there on her own merits she has to be a love interest. Wish they could somehow resurrect Ricardo Monteban (sp) because really Cumberbatch was ok but no sex appeal and boring boring costume design.

Biggest gripe is that it's just all action and some story but I miss the old star trek feel of the bigger concepts of humanity.

I think Chris Pine does a really good job as Kirk and I also love Simon Pegg. It's funny though because I watched some other films with Chris Pine and didn't think much of him. But I do like his acting in these two star treks.

I know critics complained that there were too many references to the old series. I liked the references. I've been a Trekkie all my life. I liked Star Trek before JJ Abrams decided to try to make it more mainstream/action/adventure. And I think there are a lot of others out there like me. So the people who have no idea about Star Trek can just sit through a few seconds of nods to the old series for those of us who liked it before it was cool to like it.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm bothered by the Khan whitewashing tbh. I know Cummerband was really great in the villain role, but I don't understand why he had to be Khan*. He could've been any of a number of other supermen, which would have referenced the Khan storyline for us Trekkies (as for the new viewers without history, none of them seem to know all that much about who Khan was, so it wouldn't have mattered).

I liked it as an action movie, but that still bothers me. Khan was such a great character, more anti-hero than villain. Nothing like in this movie.

* I suspect it was done to
    1. Have the dramatic KHAAAAAANNNNNNN! moment, and
    2. To avoid having to, you know, actually develop the villain. Making him Khan was a shortcut to character development.

I just saw it/ Loved it. And loved it being Khan. I don't know when I have enjoyed a movie so much.

Re: old Trek refs - the hand-on-glass fell so flat for me. When it happenend in Wrath it was supported by years and years of an on-screen friendship between Kirk and Spock, and had emotional impact. Here it felt like a clever but cheap "hey, I'll copy the original...but with a twist ooohhh" moment from Abrams, between 2 dudes who've shared like 3 hrs onscreen?

Also, something I read elsewhere - so they cured death now, eh? I mean they can synth the magic Khanblood, so all death in the Trekverse should cease unless you hack off the head and bury the body at a crossroads with a stake through the heart?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I love the new Star Trek movies--total reboot. The first two are meant to set up/give the background of the first 5 year voyage of discovery, and I think JJ Abrams is the perfect choice. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Kirk and Spock are inspired--should be "no names" who can put their own spin on the original characters. Wasn't as good as the first "reboot", but good in its own right.

I did not like Lost, but JJ Abrams is pretty damn good as a big budget thriller/sci fiction director. I'm thrilled he's manning the helm of the Star Wars films, too. He can't screw them up as bad as Lucas did the last three.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Coanteen,
    I agree about that scene. It was a bad decision to include it for all the reasons you said.

Overall I left disappointed.

I am a huge Trekkie and loved the reboot. I wanted to like this. I figured it was a Khan story so that wasn't a big surprise for me.

1) Not a fan of Berna-whatever-his-name-is. I was totally unconvinced of his savagery or menace. I was willing to go along with the reboot scenario but I really just couldn't buy into him being menacing or brutal. Ricardo Montelban, how I miss you.

2) I enjoyed the movie up until the last 20 or so minutes, when it suddenly read like something out of a bad fanfiction. Tee-her, it's an alternate universe, derp derp. UG. It just went 'no... no..." I had a bad feeling when I saw the tribble. Tribbles only seem to appear when the writers aren't sure how else to make something come to pass. It's like ret-conning or time-sixing.

3) I was totally unmoved by Spock's "humanity" and the implications of his war between his Vulcan side and human side. Not.buying.it.

POINT FOUR IS TOTAL NERDISM, BEWARE

4) These sense of time and distance was totally WTF. So somehow they drop out of warp IN Klingon space (right?) close to Khronos... does that mean they overshot the neutral zone? Okay, I can ignore that. But then they're still stuck there when the Dreadnaught-class ship gets in their face, they jump to warp, and promptly get knocked out of warp and are 217,000KM from earth?

For those of you who aren't up to date on your Trek, that's a total WTF. The Klingon homeworld was always a haul from Earth. You didn't just head out from earth and pop over to Kronos. It was a bit of a jaunt in the original series, DS9 AND TNG.

Let's leave it at there is no f'ing way that the jumped to warp (If I remember my lore correctly, "warp" was only one speed at that point in the timeline, so warp 1) and got to earth in 5 minutes. It wasn't like they showed a protracted chase scene, it was like "warp-boop-bang'.

And when they're flying into Kronos, you see a shattered moon. Is that supposed to be Praxis? Praxis didn't get destroyed until a much later date. Was the writer(s) so ignorant that they were like "dude, Klingons, we'll put this busted up moon there" not realizing there already WAS a busted up moon at a later star date?

My trekiness is offended.

Up until the last 20 minutes I was willing to go along for the ride, but after that it just jumped the shark and went into strange fanfiction "DER, IT'S AN ALTERVERSE, GET IT? SEE? YOU WILL SEE" land.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

4 members found this post helpful.

Coanteen -- EXACTLY!!

Yeeeeaaahhh... I mostly liked it. I love Chris and Zachary and the retelling of all the other characters and relationships.

But I take issue with one major plot point, I mean direct rip-off from "Wrath of Khan."

You don't frack with the "I have been, and always shall be, your friend" scene. Period. End of story. ;-) And so it shall be written.

And IF you do, you don't throw it in as a bad fanfic parallel universe piece of crap! It really played out like they ran out of ideas during that particular screenplay writing meeting. Actually, I really shouldn't insult fanfic like that.

The reason it worked in the first movie was because Spock and Kirk had a 20+ year friendship and history together. In the reboot, they've just barely met and are barely out of the academy. There's been no time yet for "have been and always will be."

That's where JJ pulled me straight out of the story and pissed me off, LOL.

I was onboard with the rest of the movie.

But next time, dude better do a real reboot and not a just rip off. And yes, of course I'll still eagerly await the next one!
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

yes to all of the above complaints. I would have been giddy if they had left the last 20 minutes out!
    And that tribble was HUGE??? Maybe it died from eating McDonalds
    carolprudm

We saw it last night and enjoyed it. I like the twists with this movie to the original series and don't mind it a bit. I figured out it was Khan first and my husband figured out they'd use his blood later to save Kirk. Overall we thought it was a good movie.

I am going to see it again in IMAX...just for fun!
    carolprudm

Ok I admit to not being a watcher of the old stuff so perhaps that's why it didn't offend me. I thought it was entertaining and didn't expect it to be much more.

Also? Freaking LOVE Benedict Cumberbatch. Love love love. His voice is so beautiful, I pretty much just want him to narrate my life for me inside my head for the rest of time.

3 members found this post helpful.

They should have given BC brown contacts to be Khan...
    carolprudm

.....I'm not a trekkie, but my husband is so I went to see it with him......

The movie was decent for someone who really didn't know a whole lot about the series/universe, but having Spock and Sulu to look at was nice (Yes, I found Spock attractive. It's the only role I've ever found Zachary Quinto attractive in.....I'm a weirdo.)
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Ditto on missing Ricardo Montalban. He was fantastic as Khan. Agree totally with it being pointless to have Benedict Cumberbatch be Khan. He could have been any villain..don't mess with RM's perfect portrayal.

I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I think Chris Pine had obviously studied William Shatner's mannerisms and tone, and did a great job. And the actor who played McCoy was spot on: "I'm a doctor, not a (fill in the blank)!" Too funny.,

I liked it. I think the guy playing bones is overdoing it a bit though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I saw it and loved it. And I'm probably the only one here who disliked Ricardo Montalbon as Khan....B. Cumberbatch was great in the role...seemed way more "controlled psychopath" to me.

Bones "overdid" it...lol
    I actually liked Scotty and Checkov's characters the least....and Spock and Uhura...please.
    carolprudm

Yea Spock and uhura seem unecessary as an item. Is that a relationship that JJ Abrams created in this universe, or is t part of the original story?