The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brown Tweed Jack In The Show Ring?

So what is the opinion on brown tweed jackets? And if so then what color breeches to wear with them? I LOVE the look of tweed and how it looks on the horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not sure what shade of brown, but I think tan/sand/khaki would be fine. Yes, I love it. Not sure if I'd ever show in it, but I love it.

Thanks. And to add it would be at B shows, not A shows

Over in Europe there is THE MOST GORGEOUS new color of breeches called "corn" - spinoff of canary. I posted y'day on FB trying to find someone who had the guts to rock this look in the hunterz. If you want to be *really* fashion-forward why don't you wear these?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Over in Europe there is THE MOST GORGEOUS new color of breeches called "corn" - spinoff of canary. I posted y'day on FB trying to find someone who had the guts to rock this look in the hunterz. If you want to be *really* fashion-forward why don't you wear these?
    LOVE this color. With brown boots would be WONDERFUL

OMG they are gorgeoussss

Here's mine, worn with brown boots...though I need to find different breeches to wear with it:
    http://www.jhaphoto.com/events#!/~/p...17&id=13791273
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Tweed jackets are gorgeous! But have to give a big hell no to the corn colored pants. Omg no no!! I can not handle these at all. I would pair a tweed jacket with the standard "cooler" toned sand/tan color of TS or pikeur.
    Here's a jacket im obsessed with, not really tweed but the elbow patches are really cute.
    If someone can win me over on the corn pants with a great photo, I will personally buy you a Brenda Breyer doll because that's what they remind me of.

http://www.winston-equestrian.com/en...ackets/chicago

Ah, I see - one of those fashionistas who hasn't been around long enough to remember canary breeches in the show ring.

Those who have know that the corn color is a VAST improvement. Canary needs to make a comeback - it has been correct since time immemorial, far more so than TS puke green.

And it seems to go with EXTREMELY good riders. I was watching the *** event from Saumur online and every rider wearing the corn breeches finished XC clean!

IMO it makes you stand out in a GOOD way - you just need to make damn sure you have the riding chops to match.

Frankly I think the jacket linked to is hideous - wishy-washy colors and cr*p tailoring which really only looks good on fashion models, but hey, what do I know, I've only been in the biz for 50 years! That's a jacket you only wear if you have absolutely zero confidence in your and your horse's ability to find eight jumps at 2'9", or you're on a school horse and are embarrassed about it.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

That corn color is definitely canary--a new name for a classic color. When I was a kid, everyone wore them: in fact, we all called our good breeches "canaries."

I always liked to color and would love to see it make a comeback.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Ok maybe it's just the way the photo looked on my phone? But the corn looks different to me than what I know of as canary.
    FWIW I don't like TS Puke green either. The Winston coats are really beautiful, especially in a world of tech fabric jackets.

[QUOTE=War Admiral;7002878]Ah, I see - one of those fashionistas who hasn't been around long enough to remember canary breeches in the show ring.

I'm going to take this as a compliment, I'm probably much older than you think. Don't take my love of sand TS to mean I'm a newbie, haha!

Not a fan of the corn. But love the brown tweed jackets. Classy.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Sand > puke green. It really is the color of my dog's puke after he decides he wants to try eating grass again...

tweed jacket fine in the hunter ring and too bad hunter ring has become more like dressage - navy or black... used to be lots of people had some type of subtle tweed or plaid jacket (note I said subtle) and saved the navy and blacks for equitation and classics (now shads). If you want to be really correct it would be tweed for day/informal classes and then the solid black or navy for evening or classics and of course w/ dress boots, not field LOL

My attempt at tweed with canary breeches.. This is eventing in Australia though so quite different to your attire standards!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n..._2595706_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n..._7337332_n.jpg

I've since traded the canary breeches and stock for cream breeches and ratcatcher, but I did think the canary was pretty fun.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

UK hunters are shown in tweed and light coloured breeches. http://www.theshowring.co.uk/hunters.php.

The tweeds seem to match the horse colours really well. A good tweed is made of natural wool so maybe that is why.

I have a dark brown tweed jacket that I wear with beige breeches. Here is a link to a picture in it. I prefer it with lighter colored bays and chestnuts- I feel like mine is too much brown on a darker colored bay. It looks solid brown in this picture, but it is actually tweed when you see it in person.

http://www.annegittins.com/dspProofI...E-020-12SS.JPG

Edited to add to the Australian poster- you have a lovely horse!