The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendations for a Pony saddle...

...needs to be a saddle that can be used for flatwork and for jumping. I'm an adult but small (105 lbs on a heavy day). long femurs but short calves. Pony is really a horse as he's 14.3 - Welsh/Holsteiner cross and precious. Finding a saddle for him is top of my current "to do" list. Please include reasons why you suggest the saddle/model - thanks!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Budget? Not really enough information here to suggest something. What seat size, how wide, any fitting problems?
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I'm not sure with long femurs that you will fit in a pony saddle. I am about your size and long from hip to knee and ride in a 16 1/2 saddle. My leg goes off over the flap in a pony saddle.

I fit in the seat just fine, but the flaps are way too short. Your 14.3 horse can most definitely do a regular saddle, you will just have to see what size tree fits him best.

Just as a suggestion without knowing what you want, I'd look for a forward flap in your seat size. That will take up the knee. My sister is very small but leggy and wears a 16 inch antares saddle with a forward flap and regular tree on a large pony.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I'm 4'11" and about 100lbs. Also have a long thigh. I ride in an Antares with a 1E flap. Most pony saddles will be 16" or smaller so if you can fit in a 16" then it's not a big deal. I ride in a 16.5 but can fit in a 16. You might have to go up to the higher end saddles if you are wanting to stay that size. I can do a 2N in the Antares but it's more comfortable in the 1E. I can't fit in Beval's. Tried the Stamford, the Salem and the Millbrook and none of them were forward enough.

I have a 16" Butet and I'm about the same size as you. The pony saddles only go up to 15" so its a regular one.

How about Stubbens? They make several models in 15" and 16" seats.

Smith Worthington, Mystic model. It's the only saddle that my kid fits in. She has a very long leg, both thigh and calf, and it's the only "off the rack" saddle that had a forward enough flap. I did not get the extra forward, just the regular flap and it's very forward. The tree is very wide also, but you can have it adjusted to fit.

I'm 5'1" and have Pessoa Pony saddles for my lesson ponies that I routinely ride in and like. I also like the shorter flap 16/16.5 Antares.
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com