The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bat wings? Is that what they call them nowadays? Very evocative name! I have my share of bags and wattles but no bats.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Big Bay-definitely avoid the ammonia formulas if you do decide to color your hair. They can be fairly harsh on the hair, and I think part of my thinning problem was the few months I used an ammonia based formula. Going back to a permanent, but non-ammonia formula because of the smell of the mixture seems to have reversed the thinning I was having for a while. That might just be me and my personal reaction, but I'm not going back to the ammonia based formula again.
    JanM, I have been getting my hair colored professionally, and my last stylist assured me pro was better than anything on the drug store shelves, ammonia or nonammonia. She says that no ammonia is actually worse for your hair. Is it possible she could just be saying that? Yes; but after using a nonammonia formula a few years ago and having clumps of hair come with the dye as I washed it out in the shower…
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

HA! love this thread

I USED to be a natural blonde (back in the day), and when it started to turn dishwater--in my 20's--I helped in along with Sun-in (ugh!), and lots of tanning. Yes, I was an IDIOT, the sun damage to my skin is my "payback."

However, my mother's hair turned white over time (started as gray, she is a brunette), and was completely white by the time she was in her 50's. She has gotten LOTS of compliments on her snow white hair, which she used to wear in a bun (before the cancer.) I seem to have inherited this gene, since my hair has been turning slowly white since I was in my 40's; it looks like ash blonde!

I stopped coloring it about 6 years ago, since the dye turned it *darker* than the underlying color! I look like a natural blonde, now--and get lots of compliments on it. Alas, it is also FRIZZY! :-/

This has been the *one* upside of aging for me (I am in my mid-50s), since everything else is shot to hell...Mostly my LOWER BACK. I would trade my lovely hair color for a functional back (and not being in daily, debilitating pain) in a heartbeat--but I try to look at the bright side, so this is "one good thing."
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I'm far from gray at 37, just a few hairs, but I have a four year old who keeps giving me more gray hairs! I have no intentions of coloring my hair and am one of those rare people who has never had and will never get any piercings, tattoos, and I have no intentions of coloring my hair, either ;-) I am what I am... not much... but it's all I've got ;-) My husband died at 35 and never got the opportunity to go gray, so hopefully I'll get to live a long life with enough gray hair for both of us ;-) I know our child is trying to ensure that I'll have lots of gray hair!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Roaning's fine--but the neck wattle and the upper-arm wattle I could do without!
    Here Here! LOL
    Wow, nice to see I am not alone.
    I wish it was steel grey, its more like Platinum, Or light silver.
    I cannot decide what to do, But I have resisted dying it now since the Beginning or Dec.
    I refused to pay 75.00 a pop for the salon, Insane.
    It has another month where I can get it styled, it is almost long enough, It has always grown like a weed. I guess I was too vain in my 40's and had to dye it, now, well heck I am 55 I earned this grey hair. LOL
    Great comments all.
    I would take a pic, but I am to afraid to scare myself. LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    JanM, I have been getting my hair colored professionally, and my last stylist assured me pro was better than anything on the drug store shelves, ammonia or nonammonia. She says that no ammonia is actually worse for your hair. Is it possible she could just be saying that? Yes; but after using a nonammonia formula a few years ago and having clumps of hair come with the dye as I washed it out in the shower…
    Take my word for it girl, My Ex colorist said the same thing, they all do.
    The stuff is nast no matter what.
    Anything that makes your eyes water and burns your skin sometimes cannot be good.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Take my word for it girl, My Ex colorist said the same thing, they all do.
    The stuff is nast no matter what.
    Anything that makes your eyes water and burns your skin sometimes cannot be good.
    Thankfully I've not had those reactions—it doesn't even smell that bad to me! But like you said above, $75 a pop? Nope, got more important things to spend my money on then coloring my hair every 5 weeks!

I quit coloring my hair nearly 10 years ago. I was a white blonde child who turned darker as I got older. Well now my hair is that same white blonde color. My sister says it looks just like when I was little. My hair is soft again, I hated the feel and texture from coloring it. I just wish it was as thick as it use to be. I guess I should be happy I still have hair.

I'm turning 50 this year and debating stopping coloring my hair. i'm a dark brunnette and have maybe 50% gray roots. It's a leap for me as I look much younger with dark hair and always get guessed for early 40's. I am tired of it also and having the gray roots between trips. Maybe you gals will give me strength to do it.

Any ideas how to transition back to natural except just gutting it out for 6-8 months? I already wear my hair pretty short...

I was turning grey slowly and only in the front and by the ears for years but brown in the back. Believe me I always hated the 1/2 and 1/2 look. When I was working and keeping up the farm and riding, I honestly didn't have the time to go to the beauty parlor to have it dyed or even the time to do it myself. Once I retired in '03 I did start to have it done at the beauty parlor and then decided to do it myself.

Well, the beautician has said it's salt and pepper in the back so I've decided to let the hair color grow out to see how it has turned out. I absolutely LOVE grey hair, whether it's on 4 legs or 2. I keep my hair short so I'm figuring in 2 more hair cuts it should all be gone.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

In my youth I had nearly black hair. I also started to gray at age 16. Gray streaks of hair throughout my 20's and 30's. Colored my hair for a period, started out with reverse frosts. Then went full color, then went to a colorist to try to go blondish, the maintenance of full color was too much for me. The bleaching she had to do totally ruined my hair. That was it! I cut it all off to about an inch and went natural.

This was a couple years ago. It's down to the middle of my back now. I was going to cut it to donate in April but I just couldn't do it yet.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../IMG_03052.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I'm turning 50 this year and debating stopping coloring my hair. i'm a dark brunnette and have maybe 50% gray roots. It's a leap for me as I look much younger with dark hair and always get guessed for early 40's. I am tired of it also and having the gray roots between trips. Maybe you gals will give me strength to do it.

Any ideas how to transition back to natural except just gutting it out for 6-8 months? I already wear my hair pretty short...
    Sharon I am a brunette from birth, well, I was many moons ago, LOL
    I> used to die it darker brown with lighter highlights, but being always outside it always lightened to some shade of blonde.
    I am 100 percent grey now, and 5 years older than you, But I think I am ready, only because it is light all over now, it was trying to figure out how i was going to deal with it when it was dyed darker with the white coming in.
    I may change my mind in a month who knows, I want to get away from using any nasty chemical laden stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    In my youth I had nearly black hair. I also started to gray at age 16. Gray streaks of hair throughout my 20's and 30's. Colored my hair for a period, started out with reverse frosts. Then went full color, then went to a colorist to try to go blondish, the maintenance of full color was too much for me. The bleaching she had to do totally ruined my hair. That was it! I cut it all off to about an inch and went natural.

This was a couple years ago. It's down to the middle of my back now. I was going to cut it to donate in April but I just couldn't do it yet.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../IMG_03052.jpg
    Sunridge that is beautiful. Mine is much whiter, I like yours a lot.
    My mother was almost totally gray by 18. I had almost black hair as a child as well.
    Gee thanks mom~ LOL
    She always died her hair for as long as I can remember.

My mom and grandfather (my Mom's father) were pure white by 28. I honestly wish I'd gotten the full effect of the gene; I'd rock white hair like you wouldn't believe! But these streaks are killing me.

BigBay-you can buy almost all of the pro formulas at the beauty supply store. The ammonia formulas smell so bad, that I just can't stand to use them. The only color that was linked to any diseases, were the actual black color shade. Dark brown is almost as dark, and looks dark enough, but with constant contact with the black dye there was a statistical link to some cancers. I don't know that the research continued, but I wouldn't take the risk. And temporary metallic dyes are very scary with the contents included. As I said before the FDA and other regulatory agencies can't regulate cosmetic and hair products, so be careful. I just get a Colorsilk, apply it myself, and it takes about 30 minutes a month, and costs less than $5, so I'll keep doing it for now.

The most important factors to home application are following the directions, and timing exactly. I also bought a bigger squeeze bottle at beauty supply store for mixing, and that makes it easier.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I started greying in my 30s, tried having it colored for a couple of years then cut it really short and let it go totally grey - or as my nieces said, "It's not grey it's silllver!" Totally white by my early 40s. Back then I often - I mean really often! - had total strangers come up to me at restaurants, stores, wherever, and tell me how much they liked my hair! You can imagine how quickly my friends got sick of that... Now I don't get it that much, I guess because I've aged into it and it's not the surprise of a young (ish) face topped with white.

I think a problem "greys" had in the past is making the style of the hair matronly... for example, Barbara Bush - her hair was a beautiful color and she would have looked great if she'd lost the bubble-head bouffant and done something more modern. Now a lot of women wear their grey in great styles and it makes all the difference between just "aging" or aging in style. And you can really zing it if by keeping in decent shape physically. I say try grey out, you may love it and it's certainly easier than coloring.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

My gray hair is coming in weird. I didn't start to gray until I was in my early 50s. But instead of a random gray hair here and there, the gray is like big blobs. I have about 5 places on my head where the gray "circle" is about 1/2 an inch across. I could try and pass it off as a bad frost job, I guess.

My mother is in her mid-80s and is now just starting to gray around the temples. She has beautiful hair. My gray is the color of a dead rat, so not very attractive. I've let it grow out but I'm debating coloring it again. I just hate sitting in salons and now that I'm retired, I don't spend much time doing things I don't like. Having roots touched up every 4 weeks is tops on my avoidance list.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    BigBay-you can buy almost all of the pro formulas at the beauty supply store. The ammonia formulas smell so bad, that I just can't stand to use them. The only color that was linked to any diseases, were the actual black color shade. Dark brown is almost as dark, and looks dark enough, but with constant contact with the black dye there was a statistical link to some cancers.
    AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Time for me to do some research. I love having black hair but I do NOT want to have any higher risk of cancer because of my stupid fake hair color. Goodness that is scary…

Yes, I have gray hair.....plenty for everyone to notice....and some "friends" said that I NEED to get it colored....Haven't decided what I am going to do....It is strange looking in the mirror and seeing it ...BUT, to me, it's just part of aging and to spend x number of dollars "fixing" it seems wrong.

Really, I wish I had the guts to chop most of it off and leave it be!!!!

Big Bay-the really dark brown colors are safe, and look really dark anyway. You don't want to use black anyway, because dyed black hair can turn very artificial looking. We called my aunt's dyed black hair (and I'm sure it was the cheapest brand out there) Texas Shoe Polish Black, because her hair was totally lifeless, and the roots showed very quickly. Ironically enough, when she let it grow out she had the most flattering and wonderful snow white hair you've ever seen. And if you use the 28 day color (semi-permanent I think it's called), some brands say in the directions that with repeated use it becomes permanent.

Go Fish-try doing it yourself. Get a no ammonia permanent color, the first time put it all over, leave it to 30 minutes or whatever the directions call for, it's under "Resistant Gray" in the directions. Get a bigger squeeze bottle at the beauty supply store, and mix it in that. If you find it too dark, or too light change shades next time. The gray should come out a shade lighter or so. When you find a color you like for repeats, use the big squeeze bottle, and use your fingers to put it around the roots on the hairline all the way around, then using the tip squeeze it near the roots all over, squish it around on the roots with your gloved fingers, set the time for resistant gray, then the last five minutes or whatever the directions call for, on the rest all the way to the roots. When the time goes off rinse thoroughly, and I put a heavy wash out conditioner on the hair for five minutes or so-I like the Design Line Olive Oil hair masque, or the Aussie 3 minute miracle. Then toss the top you were wearing, the towel in the wash. I also use a couple of foam poster boards against the window frame behind the sink to keep the splashes down from the dye. It takes me 30 minutes once a month or so, and I do it whenever the roots bother me.
    Last edited by JanM; May. 27, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White