The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Okay, anyone Grey and let it go totally grey?

I have to ask, I am totally grey have been since i was about 40.
    But last oct after cutting my hair SUPER short for months, I decided to let it grow, and it grows fast. But I also quit dying it, It is very blonde from the sun and fading over the months, but i have 3 inches of growth of grey, but it is hard to tell
    I hate all the horrid chemicals in hair dye, and since I have gone all natural everything, I am considering not dying it ever again.
    Sometimes I think it looks good, Sometimes not,
    Anyone else take the plunge?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

My late sister and my BFF were 60%+ grey by age 30. Both colored for years and finally stopped. Mainly because of quick hair growth and the need touch up roots. My late sister stopped coloring for about the last 20 or so years of her life.
    BFF stopped about 10 or so years ago. BFF has a really cute pixie style cut, think Jamie Lee Curtis. Fortunately both of them greyed out to a lovely silver shade which is/was flattering.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I'm letting mine go grey and I like it! My grey is starting at the temples/ears, with a few strays here and there all over. Makes me look blonde, if the light is right. I love the grey streaks!

A lady I work with is doing the same thing. She's dyed blonde, but has the greatest steel gray, and is letting it grow out. As I told her, let it grow out, and live with it for a while, and if she hates it just get a blonde color (not ash, or you could end up green), leave it on all over for the amount of time for resistant gray, and see if you like that better. You could also try a 28 day color too, because that will wash out eventually. If the gray is a shade you're not happy with, then try a gray rinse to modify the color slightly, or to get rid of yellowish or other tints from water minerals, or medications (believe it or not I understand that can happen from some medications). Be careful if you use a bluing type rinse, because that's how the blue haired ladies end up with a blue or purple tint, from using too much, or from leaving it on too long. And don't use the temp dyes if they have lead acetate in them (I don't know if it's still on the market or not), but metallic dyes can be dangerous. The FDA has no jurisdiction over cosmetic items, so many not good items are for sale.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

I started to grey at my temples at age 24, I colored for years but haven't colored for the last 10 years. Grows too fast and I am too lazy to keep up with it. I am now 50 and am about 50% grey. I wish it would just grey out all the way already
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

I have silver streaks. My hair seems to be either white or dark brown, not much greying that I can tell anyway. I never have colored it specifically to cover the streaking.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I love my distinguished gray streaks! Every one of them was come by honestly; they're my "battle ribbons" from the horse business!

A number of male relatives with wonderfully thick, bushy hair were prematurely gray before 25 and it looks smashing. So never a stigma about it in our family!
    Mom has lovely gray hair and Dad's is now white.

Growing up my favorite horse color of all were the dark, dappled gray TB's with white tails I'd see at shows, so I have only positive connotations with that color.

As a teen I used to sneak "Sun-In" and other nefarious peroxides trying to be a blonde instead of my natural dark brown; in my 20's I achieved it at $200 a whack to cover the roots and still fooled no one . . . got too cheap to dye it for the next 18 years and now Nature's taking care of it for me! Gray looks GREAT with a riding-ring tan!

until 6 weeks ago, I never colored my hair and I'm not doing it again. My stylist made sure that when this grew out I wouldn't look like a clown but I like my gray (it's almost silver).

I started going grey at 37. Not happy about it at all but my hair's pretty fine and i don't want to do any chemical processes on it.

-peers in mirror- i like the under-eye bags even less.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I dyed my hair for a while, when I started to get pretty gray in my forties. I stopped doing it after a few years because it was too much of a pain to keep up. Luckily, my hair has turned white, not really gray, and I like the way it looks. It's pretty much all gray now in front, but in the back has resisted the graying process and is still quite brown. The brown has darkened over the years to the point where it now looks black, against the white, and I love it.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

My gray actually makes my naturally dark brown hair look black, which now equals 'harsh' or 'skunk like'. So I dye mine.

I use non-Ammonia permanent colors. They're not as harsh, don't reek, and aren't as hard on your hair as ammonia formulas. Colorsilk, and some of the Garnier's don't have ammonia. The dye also washes out of towels and such easily. Even though try to be careful, and use an old bath towel for when I dye my hair, I still get some color on it, and that washes out easier with the non-ammonia formulas.
    Last edited by JanM; May. 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

I've been going from a natural strawberry blond to strawberry roan for years. Sometimes I miss the red hair, but I really don't like fake colored hair and have a rather impatient personality, so roaning out it is.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

1 members found this post helpful.

Roaning's fine--but the neck wattle and the upper-arm wattle I could do without!

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm gray & will STAY gray.

Frankly, don't feel that the time, money, or health risks are worth the constant dying. And to me, there's nothing uglier than roots showing. If you're going to do it, then at least keep up with it. I'm primarily not interested in the time expenditure.

I'm as old as I am, & I think it's comical to want to try to mask that by dying my hair.

As I grey, it is the only time I wish I were a blonde!

I have dark reddish-brown hair, Now grey at temples and some streaks throughout. I dont like the look. The streaks look very witchy! So I use a "semi-permanent" dye from time to time.

If I would have more grey, maybe it would look better and I would quit.

My mom dyed her hair well into her 70's. Finally she looked at all her greyhaired friends and decided to stop dying. Especially since the dye kept "dying her hair darker than its natural color". Imagine her surprise when her hair turned out to be less than 50% grey - and her natural color was that dark shade she blamed the dye for!

I quit coloring about 5 years ago and have been going gray since. My hair is extremely short- I get it cut every three weeks- and it just was not worth it to continue coloring. My grays have come in very gradually and almost looks like highlights but are getting more pronounced in the front.

I guess I also see as kind of my F U to the world that thinks youth is everything.

2 members found this post helpful.

I started popping white hairs at 18; I'll be 29 in July and I've got some streaks going (bangs, temples, even towards the crown). Of course, there's only a few inches of them because I stopped coloring my hair (naturally a brunette, went black—loved the contrast against my fair skin).

I'm on the fence about getting it colored again. On the one hand, I'm young, attempting to date, want to look young and youthful. The other hand, it's bloody expensive! I haven't cut my hair in a few months and it's so long, I didn't think it could get that long!

Due to a medical condition, my hair is also thinning; I have to use Rogaine every day. Keeping it black makes it look thicker. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do about it!
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Roaning's fine--but the neck wattle and the upper-arm wattle I could do without!
    OMG i use every tricep machine at the gym; bat wings are my deepest fear.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I am.

I started going grey in my 30's and I think I colored it twice I found that I was too cheap to have it done and too lazy to do it myself. So I just let it go.

I'm pretty much more salt than pepper now. I used to have really dark brown hair and the grey is more silver/white and the brown is still pretty dark.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Big Bay-definitely avoid the ammonia formulas if you do decide to color your hair. They can be fairly harsh on the hair, and I think part of my thinning problem was the few months I used an ammonia based formula. Going back to a permanent, but non-ammonia formula because of the smell of the mixture seems to have reversed the thinning I was having for a while. That might just be me and my personal reaction, but I'm not going back to the ammonia based formula again.