The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Older House w/o Central A/C - Any new alternatives to noisy window units?

We were hoping to get a ductless split system put in, in anticipation of another searing record-breaking temperatures summer..... but when we got a quote it turned out to be over $10,000... Bummer!!

Any alternatives to Noisy window units?

Years ago I lived in a place which had a portable a/c unit, but it didn't cool worth a darn. Maybe there's something else out there? thanks.

You don't have to get an entire system at one time. You can get a split system that does the bedroom, and a couple of other rooms, and do another section the next summer.

There are also portable, floor standing units, and the exhaust vent goes in the window or patio slider. They sell them at the big box stores.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_367199-37610...%7C1&facetInfo= If this doesn't work, then go to Lowes or Home Depot's website, and search portable air conditioning units, or look under Window AC, and you'll see some possibilities.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

anyone have a portable unit that they recommend? or don't recommend?

I think it was on consumer reports that said portables need to have two pipes to work. One of those needs to be an exhaust pipe and vented to the outside.
    Otherwise the heat generated from the unit itself will keep the room hotter than it should be. Makes sense to me.
    My personal take on the ductless is that I would be locking myself into a old system. My window a/c options are always getting better ( more efficient, smaller, use less energy, lighter), so I'm always have the option of replacing them, one at a time if $ dictate that. Whole ductless? I feel chained to that option and engineering.
    Lastly, the only pics I could find of ductless were really ugly installs, and there seemed to be a limit on the length of the run, so not great for large or tall houses.

Before investing in window AC units, and if you have a HOA, check the restrictions. Some places have outlawed the window units. If you install incorrectly, and it's on vinyl or other flexible window frames, then it can fall out-where I lived in Colorado several homeowners a year lost AC window units that way, and they usually landed on a car or truck in the driveway.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I just had a Mitsubishi ductless system installed in my new four-season sunroom. It's a combined heating and air system, and only for that one room (22' X 12'). We tried it out this morning (around 55 degrees out) and that thing was churning out the heat. And, it's so quiet that I didn't think it was running, at first. I am, on the basis of that first encounter, very pleased. And, it didn't cost me anywhere near what you were quoted. It was much, much less expensive.

Check with your heating contractor and see if they don't have ductless systems that you can add on to at a later date.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I am not a big AC person. Really only use it a few times a year when it is really humid. And for guests.

Originally had a window unit. Three problems: It was heavy and with my bad back I needed somebody to help put it in and take it out (I live alone!). Also it blocked my view from that window for the whole season. And of course, it didnt help a guest unless I gave them my bedroom!
    So I got a portable unit. It wheels around and I store it in a closet in the off season. I just put the window duct in when I want to use it. It is a bit noisy since the motor is in the room with you, but it does a good job for me.

Go without. My house is 110 years old, and them ole Yankees knew their feng shui. Play the windows, open or shut, depending on the prevailing breeze and the fact that hotter air rises. If you have an attic fan, use that at night for half an hour to draw the hot air up and out. Have a little portable electric fan to use on the days when it's really challenging.

AC is an acquired taste. Before WWII, it basically didn't exist. I think it makes it a lot more difficult to adapt to summer weather, and it CAN make you sick the way so many commerical places keep it like a meat locker.

This is one big, fat, MAJOR way most homeowners can lower their carbon footprint and bills!

Obviously, Lady E, you have not suffered through a summer( or more ) of Florida's extreme heat and even higher humidities!!!! Here in Florida, the nighttime temps only dip into the 80's during the summer. The humidity is unbearable. I have been entertaining the idea of a ductless system myself.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

OK, gotta admit FL is a Whole Other Thang . . .

I LOVE my portable AC units, both of which are LG. I live in an older condo (1926) with no central air - we have looked into the Mitsubishi and other ductless systems, but are a long way away from making that work. I hated the window units because they were so noisy, I didn't like not being able to open the window, and I hated storing something over the winter that was always dirty and had been outside. The portable AC units are probably about equivalent to window units as far as efficiency and cost. I keep my 700 sq ft apt pretty cool (I have a dog who doesn't handle heat well) with two units, and my power bill usually averages around $130/mo in the summer. They are quieter than window units, but still annoyingly loud - last summer I put thick rubber mats between them and the hardwood floors, and that has helped a lot. But - I love that they also can be used as dehumidifiers, that they don't block the view out of the window, and the convenience pretty much trumps everything for me. I live alone, and being able to wheel them out of the closet and set them up in two minutes by myself is a HUGE improvement over window units.