The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gallstone when pregnant - experience?

Pregnant person is young, healthy, no problems. Ended up in hospital with gallstone attack. Question: Does this first problem automatically result in future gallstone issues? Or is it an unusual pregnancy-related thing that is unlikely to reoccur? Person does NOT want gallbladder removed.

Thanks!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

There are people on the what to expect board who have been through gallstones while pregnant. If you go to the community section and then complications, search for gallstone

Where is that?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Pregnant person is young, healthy, no problems. Ended up in hospital with gallstone attack. Question: Does this first problem automatically result in future gallstone issues? Or is it an unusual pregnancy-related thing that is unlikely to reoccur? Person does NOT want gallbladder removed.

Thanks!
    Once the gallstone is there, it doesn't just go away by itself-- so this person will continue to have gallstone attacks.

I had gallstones (not while pregnant) and I had thought the pain was the stone clearing-- but it's usually not, it's the pain from the contraction of the gallbladder around the stone, which then drops back into the gallbladder after the attack has passed.

I had 3 or 4 attacks within about a year before I had surgery. Immediately felt better afterward-- just having those things around feels crappy, and the pain is unbelievable when the attacks do happen.

that said, gallstones can be triggered by increased hormone levels during pregnancy. Mine were caused by hormonal birth control. So the one stone that she does have, may not necessarily indicate that she'd have more when not pregnant. But the one she does have isn't going anywhere.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Our neighbor's 18yo granddaughter just went through this with her first pregnancy. They ended up removing the gall bladder when she was a couple months post partum. Apparently it is waaaay more common that most of us realize
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

It is very common and it will not go away. Many elect to have the gallbladder removed a couple months post-partum. Hopefully it won't become worse while she is still pregnant.

I had my first attack when my daughter was two weeks old. I went to the ER and they were about to do some tests when my husband walked in with the baby in her carrier. The dr. looked at me and then said "gallstones"...said it was so common in pregnant women and new moms that it saves them a lot of time in their diagnosis. I put it off for eight months, but ended up having the surgery after I was down to eating bread and water in hopes of delaying the inevitable.

Ugh. I've read that a complication from the surgery is very bad diarrhea. Anyone experience that? How long did it take to resolve?

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Ugh. I've read that a complication from the surgery is very bad diarrhea. Anyone experience that? How long did it take to resolve?
    I did not experience that. I felt miles better than I did while I had the stones.

I had some soreness from the surgery itself that lasted about a week. I do have to be careful not to eat a whopping amount of fat-- only a small ice cream, or if I order pizza I blot it first-- or I will feel not-so-great. But I have never had any more diarrhea than I did before the surgery, which is to say almost never.

Anecdotally, no one I know who has had their gallbladder out complained to me of having diarrhea. You can certainly mitigate it until you heal and adjust by simply eating low fat.

1 members found this post helpful.

My DH had his GB out (horrific pain with the attacks) but he has pretty constant diarrhea, most particularly if he eats any dairy. Guaranteed.I think he is very very happy though. Step dau and step son both had theirs out and very happy but also deal with the runs. I think the diarrhea is pretty regular but have not noticed that any of them avoid fat, just the dairy!! And when they gotta go they gotta go!!

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    My DH had his GB out (horrific pain with the attacks) but he has pretty constant diarrhea, most particularly if he eats any dairy. Guaranteed.I think he is very very happy though. Step dau and step son both had theirs out and very happy but also deal with the runs. I think the diarrhea is pretty regular but have not noticed that any of them avoid fat, just the dairy!! And when they gotta go they gotta go!!
    This is true-- it's not diarrhea for me but I have found I am more sensitive to particular foods. Cheese does it for me, but ice cream is usually okay especially since I switched to frozen yogurt. Eating more fiber helped me.

You may get phantom gallstone pain for a year or so after its removed. Someone said its gravel left in the tube. Hmm, yes to the runs and yes to little warning when I eat fatty foods. Yes to dairy intolerance.

My GB issues were not related to being pregnant, I just had a bad GB. If you have problems get that little sucker out ASAP. A stone can get stuck in the ducts and even migrate into your pancreas. Trust me, not issues you want to have.

Lots of people claim to have trouble eating certain foods after but I've never experienced that related to the GB. Your body adjusts and if there are stones or issues, it is better to remove it. The surgery isn't a big deal, recovery is fast and the danger of complications from a stone moving are gone.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

I never had any issues with any foods after my surgery. Still don't...unfortunately! I had my surgery the old fashioned way, but my incision was very small so recovery time was short. I felt so much better immediately, and no diarrhea, btw.

I can't eat a lot of fatty or fried foods without er, consequences. Hoever, I can eat pretty much anything in small amounts and feel fine.

Having the surgery was one of the best things I've ever done (wasn't preggo when I had the issue though). I didn't realize how miserable I had been or for how long until I felt normal again. Recovery was quick, and i was back at work at a large horse barn in a week; had a job interview an hour from home on Thursday after surgery on Monday. The surgeon said mine was one of the worst he'd ever seen-I was only in my mid-20's at the time. I couldn't believe how much better I felt, right away.