The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how to take care of cartilage piercing while at barn

Hey everybody,
    I'm a long time lurker here. Read the boards almost every day but haven't posted anything in about two years!

But I just got my cartilage pierced today! Have my lobes double pierced but it's been awhile since I've got them done.

So, any tips or tricks keeping it clean while being at the barn and helping it to heal? Any tips for helping with the pain? It really didn't hurt that bad getting it done- just a quick pinch and over!

Thanks in advance!

Let someone else pick your horses back feet the first few days lol. My horse swished her tail and nearly yanked mine out 2 days after i got it (double) pierced . That hurt like HELL, let me just say! I just make sure I clean new piercings really well after I come home from the barn. I've never had any get infected and I have 8 ear piercings and my nose pierced.
    "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
    -fry & laurie

I know somebody that taped her new cartilage piercings for gym so that they wouldn't get caught on anything. I think she used athletic tape. It would keep the dirt out too
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Bandaids
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

I left mine alone. I noticed that once I started cleaning my tragus piercing regularly that it actually got more tender and it got infected. So... I learned my lesson and instead of cleaning it every day, I just ran it under the water while I was in the shower. And poof, the infection and tenderness magically disappeared!

Other than that you could always use a small piece of tape or a bandaid to cover it while at the barn if you're concerned about that.

Also, I was told to use Witch Hazel on my piercing every once in a while. I just poured a little bit of it on my piercing and let it air dry. That seemed to help also.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding