The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Steam Mops

Can anyone really recommend their steam mop? I bought a Steamboy and hate it! The pad just won't stay on with the little draw string apparatus. Not for me! Would love to have one that does a good job (lots of animal traffic) and is user friendly (simple!) to use. Thanks!
    PennyG

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I got a Shark (on sale) on the strength of COTH recommendations & I have to say I'm really not all tbat impressed.But then, probably a lot of the Fail is due to my total lack of housekeeping skills.I HATE washing floors, so wait way too long and then the microfiber pad get so filthy I have to change it halfway through.It does a decent job of cleaning my Pergo & hardwood floors as well as the small amount of linoleum in my mudroom, but just not worth dealing with the microfiber that has to be washed after every use.If Shark - or any mfr - had a disposable head I might be more inclined to use it.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I bought a Bissell steam mop based on the recommendations of either COTH or another horse bb. I am very happy with it, no complaints. If you don't like washing microfiber heads, don't bother with this one though.

I have a Shark and liked it for awhile but it no longer produces steam (no idea why). I found a site online that described how to take it apart and unclog it, but to no avail. I wasn't very pleased with how the floor looked afterwards either - kind of dull.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

I've got a Shark.. I think it's the pro version with the detachable steamer so can be used with handheld attachments. I like it and seems to do a god job on my floors. Hubby and I did wonder if you could use something other than just straight water in them, but I never got around to looking it up on the web... Anyone know?

I love my Shark steam mop. It does well on the wood, tile, and linoleum. The pad is barely dirty after I use it, but I am really strict on keeping my house clean. Especially the floors. It hasn't failed be in over 4 years.

I have a Shark steam mop, and I do like it. I don't like using a lot of chemicals
    of the dogs & birds in my house. I mop probably 2x a week as I like going
    barefoot in the house and I like to keep things clean. I could see if you didn't
    use it pretty regularly, that the microfiber would get gunked up and not clean
    so well.

But, I don't have 'farm dirt', I live in a townhouse, and the dogs don't go
    with me to the farm.

Also, as far as not producing steam - have you called Shark ? I had trouble
    with my Navigator Lift Away vacuum, the beater barn in the foot attachment
    pooped out on me. I figured I'd just buy a replacement. When I called to order it,
    they shipped it to me at NO CHARGE for a vacuum that was out of warrenty and
    well used (I have 2 shelties and those birds that I'm cleaning up after).

So anyway, I like their products, and love their customer service.

I have an Oreck steam mop and I like it. Had it about a year and no complaints. The pad has come off a few times, but I've got that figureds out and it rarely pops off anymore.

I have a Eureka floor steamer and it works well. I don't use it all the time, but I have never had any trouble with it, the pad stays on, and it always works.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Any other brands out there people recommend? I'd like to get one. Half of our house is tile floor, and I hate the line of dirt a mop leaves. I tried the Hoover FloorMate, and the damn thing is worthless.

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

I have the purple Shark, paid about $40, LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!!!!! I want the big bad one!
    I use it on tile, lino, and carpet! I have WAY too many cats, and it does a great job of cleaning up after them, and making my cheapo carpet look new!

Only thing I don't like, the head cover shrinks a bit and makes it hard to close, but I did throw it in the dryer a few times.

To the person who wantd to know if you could put something else inside, NO! I tryed vinegar and it got clogged, no problems cleaning it tho, and I didn't google how to do it. I do spritz my floors with Kids & Pets first tho

CFF

I'm on my 2nd Shark. The first one lasted about 18 months before clogging, but I was running it on hard Florida tap water. The second one gets only distilled water and is still going strong.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I cleaned a friend's house for her last week. She uses a Swiffer and let me tell you, I was really impressed. Her kitchen floor is white linoleum and gets super dirty - 3 dogs, it's where they come in from the barn, takes a lot of heavy traffic.

That floor was sparkling when I was done. I'm buying one.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I have the older model HAAN that I bought about 4 years ago and it still works great. I have about 80% tile in my house too.