The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Swamp People, Duck Dynasty, etc

I live in Louisiana and my co-workers (most of which grew up here too) were recently discussing the popularity of Swamp People, Duck Dynasty, etc. The film industry has moved to Louisiana because we offer great tax incentives but if the shows were not being watched they would not still be on the air, so what is the big draw? The editing in some of the shows is off and storylines in some of the Louisiana based 'reality' shows have gotten very 'unreal'. I have read that A & E had gotten some negative comments because Duck Dynasty shows both praying and guns on their show. But they still are paying $$$$$ to the Robertsons for another season.

If you watch any of the Louisiana based reality shows, what is the big draw?

Love Duck Dynasty! I think it plays more like a sitcom than your typical reality show. I like that they worked hard to build up their successful business from a shed in the backyard to million dollar business. I like that they show the importance of family and they always have a good "moral to the story" so to speak at the end. Yes they pray over dinner while they talk about the "moral of the story". As far as I am concerned there are a lot more offensive stuff on TV than a close knit family shooting guns and praying over dinner, JMHO. Duck Dynasty has broken records for viewership, of course A&E will continue the show! I don't watch Swamp People so don't have an opinion on that one.

7 members found this post helpful.

Default Duck Dynasty/Commander

I was hoping someone from Louisiana would know the area, the people, or something, and could fill us in on details.

The show has strayed from its grass roots somewhat and they seem to be looking for content, but they do seem like a very nice family, and a funny one at that. Can Si really be true?! Since Benelli became their big sponsor there is a lot - lot - more killing, product placement, etc. And there seems to be a new shiny truck or toy in every episode - not so redneck, eh?

Hate to admit it - we love the show!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I watch both shows and like them.

I really like that an overtly Christian family is so popular with a mass audience. It may be scripted (or not) but I enjoy it. Although I am getting a little tired of Si.

I think Swamp People is interesting as well. It's a way of life that not many people are aware of. I do wonder what they do during the off season. Do they make enough during the alligator season to sustain themselves for the rest of the year?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sad, sad, sad what we have come to.....

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Sad, sad, sad what we have come to.....
    Why happymom?

I love Duck Dynasty, and a couple of people I know that are from the area say the Robertsons are exactly as pictured. They also do all types of charity quietly, and though the show is scripted it's based on real situations for the most part. Willie set out to make a show like "I Love Lucy", and I think he succeeded in entertaining people, and showing a little about life that many of us will never experience. The Robertsons have also had some bad articles from a hate site, because Willie has a mixed race adopted son, as well as a foster daughter. I found it amusing that the idiots who wrote the hate article said that Kay and Phil actually lived in a mansion, and used an aerial picture of the warehouse as the 'mansion'-I really doubt that they live in the warehouse, but it shows how stupid the racists who wrote the article are. I'm sure that West Monroe is better for the number of people who work at Duck Commander, and Buck Commander. The shotgun maker (Benelli) has been a sponsor for a long time, and sponsors the Duck Commander DVDs and Buck Commander shows on Outdoor Channel (I think that's the one). I enjoyed the Duck Commander book by Willie and Korie also. It told about the background of the family members, warts and all, and showed that we're all human and can change.

I'd certainly watch Duck Dynasty over Honey Boo Boo, where the children are being used for the show, and there are a lot of shenanigans behind the scenes. I bet the recent wedding between the mother on there, and her fourth relationship producing children was only because the show paid for it-not that I can prove it, but it's my guess.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

3 members found this post helpful.

Hah, I hand't noticed the 'christian' part of Duck Dynasty. The first episode I ever saw had Si bombing around a wildlife preserve in Hawaii on a Segway.... I nearly died. These guys are no fools. Pretty darned smart actually and they know each other so well they are expert at tormenting each other. My understanding is that they basically own the town, so when they decide to go 'ride along' with some police officers and pull over one of the wives to harass.... it's pretty funny.

I like that they are smart, have a sense of humor, and the guys seem to have a non stop cold war of harassment on each other.

1 members found this post helpful.

Regarding Gator Hunters - since gator season only lasts one month, most gator hunters have other jobs. I think Troy Landry was in the Crawfish industry before he became famous on the show. Of course most of them are making quite a bit for personal appearances now, a lot of festivals or trade shows hire someone from Swamp People to draw more crowds.

BTW - Kristi (Liz's helper from last season) rides horses quite a bit.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

We watch Duck Dynasty and love it! First, the kids aren't going to see or hear anything they shouldn't. Second, these are like all the guys I grew up around or am related to. Its my comfort zone. It is the only reality show we watch.

It is immensely popular at DD's charter school, the kids talk about it all the time. I think Si is the big draw in that 4th grade age bracket.

I don't care that it is scripted, don't care that some of it is seriously fake sometimes. Its funny and clean. The family is all college educated and Phil should give husband lessons on how to respect and love a wife
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

6 members found this post helpful.

We love Duck Dynasty because we know people like that and sometimes it is us! We hunt, shoot, pray, talk trash with family, and always eventually get along.

I admit, we only discovered it this fall but have enjoyed the shows and have watched them many times. It is almost like hearing a family story and knowing the punch line but still finding pleasure in the telling.

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the appeal. I find the dialogue hard to follow on both series. I even grew up in the south, but it was more Charleston southern than deep southern. I just don't relate but to each their own.

ETA- I'm certainly not offended by it. Just not my cup of tea
    Last edited by dani0303; May. 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I love Duck Dynasty ! It's nice to see a nice big extended family having
    dinner together and actually enjoying each other's company.

Uncle Si is a freakin' hoot. He has the best sayings. I loved the Hawaii episode
    too, when Si was insisting that there had to be Mayan Pyramids and ruins.

My favorite episode was the one where Si found the security kit with the taser
    and the handcuffs, then handcuffs himself to Willie. Then they couldn't find the
    key, and Jase's dialog was about how this was the best day of his life LOL.

I don't mind that it's staged a bit, it's really entertaining.

I love them both! I am not what anyone would describe as a Christian conservative, but I really enjoy the Robertsons and don't find the guns and "praying" offensive in any way; in fact I am glad to see a family that gets along and loves each other. I think that they probably are pretty much the same in real life as how are they are on the show. I also know that they are educated folks and I actually really enjoy listening to Phil. I think there is a lot of wisdom there. He and Miss Kaye are really cute together, too!

I also really like Swamp People, which might be odd because I really find alligators to be interesting animals, but I don't mind that they kill them on the show. It is such a different way of life from what we have here and it comes across as very authentic

I love Duck Dynasty and have read Phil Robertsons book. I like that they are big family that loves each other and supports each other. Phils book was pretty intersting and very honest about his early years of drinking and partying. I am Christian so the praying doesn't bother me, and my whole family hunts so that part doesn't bother me either. Although we don't hunt ducks because me nor my husband likes the taste.
    Sorry Phil :-)
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm watching Duck Dynasty right now. I was planning on watching the next episodes of North America on Animal Planet, but they're showing that ridiculous Mermaid crap. Pretending they have military and scientific proof...who believes this stuff? DD is hilarious, obviously scripted but hilarious. I don't watch Swamp People, what's that one about? The prayer/religion thing doesn't bother me, why would it bother anyone? I'm not bothered by watching religion free TV, atheist TV, Muslim TV, whatever. If people can watch CSI, Criminal Minds, etc and watch serial killers...why be bothered by someone praying on TV?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I've seen Duck Dynasty when visiting with my parents. It's a humorous show and I actually have laughed out loud when watching it, but I'm still not sure what these guys actually do. I know it's a very scripted show and that the guys are in the phase of reaping the rewards of their work (because they never seem to work!!). I'm not offended at all about their prayers or hunting - that's very common in the U.S., and at least the hunting part is to be expected by a family who made a fortune on duck callers. So, OP, the editing is off, and many of the storylines wander into the improbable... but the show is humorous, rated "G", not very controversial (in my opinion) so many people can watch it together, and interesting in terms of looking at a large family dynamic. I've never seen swamp people.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

They may be scripted - but they don't look like they are acting - I think they
    seem very natural and must ad lib a lot.

Those poor, beautiful wives - what do they think of the beards? Did they marry clean-cut guys and then have them all grow beards?

Surely the show is shot on a weekend - there are hardly any cars around that enormous warehouse - but we know those layabouts don't produce all the millions of duck calls....there must be a host of employees in the rest of the warehouse doing all the work???

I need details.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Some women love beards/facial hair. ZZTop never had issues finding groupies. Nor do bikers. I like beards. And mustaches. Even chest hair. Not a walking grizzly bear, but hair isn't a bad thing. The dad on DD was a star QB in college and was a 1st string draft pick for the NFL and turned it down to go back to the family business. Most of the men did grow beards for the show.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

According to the book they employ about half the town and it helps if you have Robertson blood.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com