The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nominating Fees!

I am planning on attending some rated shows this summer with my horse and we will most likely be competing in the 3'6-4' jumper divisions. Having moved back from overseas recently, I have never seen a "nominating fee" before and I don't really understand the purpose (other than to steal more of our $$!). I had a friend who competes often tell me that USEF/USHJA members didn't have to pay this fee but I can't find this rule anywhere? Is this true?

Thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by megans113 View Post
    I had a friend who competes often tell me that USEF/USHJA members didn't have to pay this fee but I can't find this rule anywhere? Is this true?
    That would come as complete news to me.

Maybe your friend is thinking of non-member fees, which are an entirely different thing.

I have only ever seen nominating fees in jumper classes that offer prize money. The idea is that you pay more to (potentially) earn more.

And, I also believe your friend is thinking of non-member fees.

My understanding of the nomination fee's inthe jumper classes is that its so you can move up/down divisions without penalty. I still dont understand it. Hunters pay out the same amount as a jumper class, and no nomination fee.

Squish, maybe it's different in Canada, but down here, the jumper classes that offer money pay out significantly more than any hunter class (with the exception of derbies).

And OP, members definitely pay the nominating fee, your friend is thinking of the non-member fee... I believe the ideology of the nominating fee is that you pay more to play for more.

Up here the typical 3'6 - 4' jumper class (1.10-1.20m) pay out the same as a hunter class. Typically $150 or so for 1st. Of course there are classics and stakes classes that pay out more, but entry is higher. They have these for hunter too, like the $10,000 adult amatuer classic.

I know that bigger jumper classes pay out more, but the nomination fees are still around for the 1.10-1.20m classes. I thnk this is what the OP was referring to.

Supershorty, what are you doing on COTH? Shouldn't you be on your honeymoon?

I saw your picture on Facebook via a mutual friend. You looked absolutely beautiful! Best wishes for a long and happy life together.

I *guess* it was worth you skipping the GM clinic at Gladstone. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Supershorty, what are you doing on COTH? Shouldn't you be on your honeymoon?

I saw your picture on Facebook via a mutual friend. You looked absolutely beautiful! Best wishes for a long and happy life together.

I *guess* it was worth you skipping the GM clinic at Gladstone. Maybe.
    Aw, thank you! Sadly, no honeymoon right now because I start summer classes on Tuesday, but we did spend part of the weekend in the city and saw The Book of Mormon (hilarious, for the record)! Now back in the game for summer courses and dragging poor Mr. Supershorty to horse shows

He might as well get used to it! There was a book advertised recently on the right side of this board about the care and feeding of husbands/boyfriends/relatives at horse shows, with a portion of the proceeds going to Danny & Ron's Rescue. Just saying.

Sorry for the sidetrack, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    but we did spend part of the weekend in the city and saw The Book of Mormon (hilarious, for the record)!
    Congratulations! And glad it was funny - I have tickets for it in August!

A $500, $1000, $25000 class is going to pay the same prize money whether hunter or jumper. The difference is the hunters aren't paying a nominating fee and even sometimes a lower class fee.

The nominating fees are outdated and should be done away with but no show is going to give away the ~$200 fee if they don't have to.

As for the original question, your friend is confused.

Actually I know of some "A" shows that now charge a high jumper nominating fee, a low jumper nominating fee, and a hunter and equitation fee. There is no prize money to be won, it is just basically robbery.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

At Spruce Meadows you nominate for a division (cost of like 150-175 or so for 1.20m jumper classes), then pay start fees on top of that for each class you actually compete in (30 or so dollars a class) So classes are about 80 dollars for regular classes. (more for The Masters tournaments and such).
    At the other big show around here, you pay a nomination fee for which ring you are in (small sand jumpers, medium grass jumpers, large grass jumpers in the grand prix field), then pay your class fees. So if you want to show 1m jumpers in the small sand ring to start the week then move to 1.10 jumpers in the medium grass ring for the end of the week you pay nominations for both rings. THe smaller the ring the less expensive it is to nominate.

I've also been to some shows in Canada where you pay a nomination fee for hunters as well. Then just like jumpers, you can "start" in your class upto when the actual class begins (or by a certain time the night before). I quite like nomination fees instead of full division fees because if you're having any issues you can usually change classes without the dreaded "administration, or add/scratch" fees that most other shows charge.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

At least around here, a nominating fee is just one more opportunity for show management to make money. Some shows the amount varies based on fence height, but at some shows all jumpers pay it. It is a pure rip-off, in my opinion.

At most USEF shows, a nominating fee is charged to competitors showing at 1.20m or above. Child/Adult and below are exempt. I have been doing the Jr/AO's for years now and I have yet to understand nominating fees because the entry fees for our money classes are huge as it is.. But if you want to show, there's no way around it.

2 members found this post helpful.