The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Bit

I have a 6 year old warmblood that I doing hunters with & I need to back her off a little especially down the line. She s in a Hunter Dee snaffle with a flat link in the middle. Anybody got any suggestions? I tried a twisted full cheek today & that worked better but I am just wanting to get some other ideas from bits you have tried & had success with

I was about to say a slow twist full cheek... That's usually my go-to for those that need a little more regulation in the hunters. You can always try a simple jointed pelham (you could do rubber jointed if she's got a soft mouth). That would be the next bit I'd go to just to see how she responds to the curb action.

Yes slow twist full cheek! They work wonders. Pelhams are good as well in moderation. Also I have one of those weird western gag like bits it has 3 rings and its a sweet iron I use it on the flat to help with transitions and what not.

Thanks guys!!

I'd say try the slow twist full cheek first, but if she likes something with two joints to avoid the nutcracker effect, try a slow twist Dr Bristol dee or a Dr. Bristol or even just a slow twist dee if you like a dee better than a full cheek on her.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Ds are more popular in the Hunter ring. I would personally stay with the D in a slow twist. Dr. Bristol's are nice.

I find that I suggest dr bristols on a lot of these threads, I think they're well overlooked bits. I love them because I hate the nutcracker effect that snaffles will make and I lean towards french links, though the french link is not always enough.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I am not a fan of the nutcracker single jointed snaffles, either. I like the feel of a bristol, french, barrel or lozenge. I will add a twist if I need a bit "more".
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight