The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default Do other kinds of snakes rattle besides rattlesnakes?

Large black maybe hog snake, maybe bull snake, 3ft long, just a rattling away at me by my front door. I want to leave it be, but just making sure real rattlers dont come in black???
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Ummmm it sounds agressive. I would kill it first, ask questions later. But, I believe the only good snake is a dead one.

Yes, some colubrids (bullsnakes, gopher snakes, rat snakes and kingsnakes) vibrate their tails when under threat. This behavior seems to be largely isolated to North American snanes - Old World snakes will lash their tails, but usually not vibrate (I think other pit vipers might be the exception).

I've read theories that the other snakes don't imitate rattlesnakes, but rather that the rattle evolved in response to this tail-vibrating behavior in New World snakes.

2 members found this post helpful.

I like snakes....so I dont want to kill it if it is going to eat vermin. It does not appear to have a poisonous snake shaped head, and I don't think rattlers come in black. I just dont want my JRT to get it trouble with it!
    carolprudm

Real rattlers have that rattle on the end of their tail. There are a lot of snakes that will mimic a rattle, some of them are venomous (cottonmouths), some are not (king snakes, rat snakes etc). Rattlesnakes can have a wide variety of color morphs, including black (or dark enough brown/gray to appear black). Venomous snakes in the US tend to have an arrow-shaped head, with the exception is the coral snake, but they're pretty colorful and also very shy.

Some more info on venomous snakes that might be in your area: http://www.venombyte.com/venom/snake...s_by_state.asp
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

1 members found this post helpful.

Rattlers do come in black

http://www.timberrattlesnake.net/ There are other black rattlers, too.

Photos NSFSnake-o-phobes!
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Can you see rattles on his tail? or is he just vibrating a plain tail?

We have a black snake or rat snake here that can vibrate his tail in the grass to make a sound like a rattle snake. I am almost phobic, and the first time I saw/heard one, I almost came unglued. My husband came out, checked the snake out (tried to relocate him), and then looked the snake up to figure out what it was.

Although I'm scared of them, I do love how nature works: the snake has a similar pattern to a rattle snake and makes a similar sound to ward off predators. Kind of cool.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Bull snakes look like rattlers, from my comfort zone distance, and will thump their tail and apparently emit air from their mouths to imitate rattlers. My husband finds my reactions to them endlessly amusing.

Bull snakes will eat rattlers, so I'm not supposed to shoot them
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

How is he rattling? Is he rattling his tail against something? If its only his tail rattling, Id be skeered...

It only rattled its tail, but I do not believe I saw any actual rattles. It was very black, and long and skinny. It looked very much more scared of me than I of it.
    carolprudm

Yes indeed, black snakes rattle their tails. It's quite common.
    Please don't kill it.

I have had baby bull snakes vibrate their tails that made a noise. Cute little guys!

I used to own a Mexican Black Kingsnake. She would stand up like a cobra, hiss, and rattle her tail! It was the funniest thing! As someone said above, colubrids do rattle their tails as a defense. I would leave the little guy alone as long as he's not bothering anyone

Yes, they do! Also of note- a rattlesnake can lose it's rattle, but will still shake it's money maker. The best way to tell is by the shape of the head if it IS a rattler or not.

Yes! Black snakes can rattle their tale to sound like a rattle, especially in leaves. I caught one today coming into our garage and he was doing exactly that!
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Dont worry, I couldnt kill it even if I wanted to, but truly I like snakes. Just wanted to know whether or not to lock up my dog for a bit
    carolprudm

Always wise to lock the puppy up for the safety of both snake and pup! Black snakes still will bite if (quite) provoked, and if he was "rattling", he felt pretty threatened. Those bites can require some cleaning. Although my dog stepped all over Sammy (one of our resident very large black snakes) and the poor dear just kept trying to slide away as my dog puzzled at the strange moving branch.

thankfully I have the world's wussiest JRT (I have video of him being chased by sheep!)
    This fella was definitely terrified of me. I am wondering if he has taken up residence under the house though. I do notice that I haven't seen any mice lately!
    carolprudm

Not a bad place for him. I grew up in an old and leaky farmhouse. The only time we got into any trouble with the black rat snakes was when we'd find them sleeping in a laundry basket :-) But otherwise, they lived under the house in the crawl space and would take care of the (ever-present in a farmhouse) mice there.

Come to think of it - we get mice in the winter. I've always assumed they were coming in out of the cold, but I'm wondering now if it's not because the snakes go into hibernation.

The only thing that I don't like about them is that they steal hens eggs, and make a mess squishing them all - and occasionally they will take a shortcut through the pool while we are out there. Snakes in water give me the heebie-jeebies.