The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So, Argentina and running away

This week, I had a strong urge to, you know, run off and join the circus. Sure, we all day-dream about going somewhere or another, but this was different. It was less "...wouldn't it be nice" and more "Why not?". I am young, single and debt-free. My only real responsibility is my horse, and what probably precipitated all of these feelings is that she may be in for some serious time off.

I've always wanted to see Argentina. It feels accessible because of the language, but there is still a sense of "other-ness" about it. I recently discovered that I'd mostly lost my fear of new places. Maybe I'm just high on this new-found power...

COTHers, do you have any thoughts? I exert my free will on a small, day-to-day scale rather than a Drop-Everything-and-Leave-the-Country scale. I've never had this urge to run off into the unknown. I know that others have done this, and some people even make a habit out of it! How did you leave your job? How did you arrange for medical care abroad? What did you do for work there? How did you make friends?

And suppose this feeling sticks with me. What then? Do any of you have contacts there? Having friends-of-friends in a foreign land seemed to make a world of difference to acquaintances of mine who have similarly struck out.

Edited because with 34 views and no replies, it appeared I wasn't striking a chord.
    Last edited by BravAddict; May. 26, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

1 members found this post helpful.

You buy travel insurance that includes medical. Argentina is just SO fabulous, and you will love it.

As for the horse, mine had six months off due to seedy toe when I severely dislocated my knee. As a result, he was not ridden for 22 months. And then was happy to go back to work (not with me of course, I have only just started back on him and can handle about 12 minutes max at the walk, but it will get better). The horse won't care.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Default Why not dip your toe in????

Why not make go on an extended visit? You can take a vacation to Argentina and assess whether it is plausible to "run away " for a while. My sister and brother in law went and after 2 months couldn't find work and came home. I am pretty sure they're glad they did it.

PKN

I did it, except to Europe (so traditional & felt `safe` to my parents) when I was 18 for 6 months, when I was 22 for 5 days, and when I was 26 for an exchange year in grad school. My sister went to South America for 6 months a couple years ago.

Turns out it`s not that hard, just a lot of planning. I got a working traveler visa the first time, it worked out OK - just don`t expect to pay for everything through your work there (just in case things don`t turn out as well as you expect). A friend of mine went to Australia and said the same thing. (Loved her trip, was glad she had some savings for when the transient work she did dried up.)

Yes, I have some acquaitances in Argentina - can`t tell you much except they are good people so I`d start with the premise that Argentina can`t be half bad.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Go! have fun!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

lol..I want to run away to Ireland............sounds more safe to me because at least I understand the language...........

do it NOW, before you have obligations to tie you down.........I love my kids and grandkids, but wonder if I COULD ever manage to live far from them........

if you feel it, DO it..........just do some planning so you don't find yourself in a panic far from home......
    enjoy!
    and the great thing is.......the more often you do this, the easier it will become.............think of the possibilities!!!!!! (o, the envy)

I went to Argentina last fall for a business trip. Fabulous country, lovely people. Do it!

I am planning on doing this.

I'm about done with my life in general (job/friends/money etc) and i really really need a break from everything.

I, a couple years ago, got into South Korean music and dramas. I went there on vacation for 18 days and loved it. looooved it. I have been doing a lot of research and am planning on moving out there in about a year and getting a job (hopefully!) as an English teacher.

I do have a small family run horse farm here. I have 5 horses and 4 boarders. I do have everything planned out, though, and am working on getting all my ducks in a row. I am planning on finding leasers for my horses, so they are worked and taken care of while i am gone. My parents will be here and if my dad chooses to stay with his job (he is really unhappy with it and is almost at retirement age), then we will hire someone to do the basic work.

I am learning Korean (slowly...it's not the easiest language) and am i going back there for 2 weeks in September to make certain i do like it.

But for the first time in a long time i am actually very excited about something and can't wait :-D

I'm single, I'm young, I have no kids or other things that will keep me from going. So off i will be going :-D

I say check it out and see if you like it first and then go from there. You only live once..why not?

Thank you all!
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

GO!

I have a tendency to hop on a plane at a moments notice. Once you have one trip under your belt it becomes second nature to just 'go'.

I have gone and done the language school thing - it is good for freshening up on language skills but also a chance to meet people and get the lay of the land from a local family if you find a program where you live with a family for your stay. Even a few weeks will get you a good feel for what to do next as you will meet a lot of interesting people with all kinds of plans and ideas and you will also likely meet a lo of people traveling through and who knows, you might pack up your backpack and head off to explore other areas as well.

There are plenty of great things about here but I do advise you to do your homework. Have you been here before? Inflation is about 30% a year so it's not cheap although right now there is the advantage of a "blue" (ie black) market for the US dollar which makes it a bit more affordable. But still, not cheap. Are you planning on just coming to travel around? If you want to travel, have you budgeted for the costs (see not cheap) Looking for a job? If you don't have a work visa, the only jobs you will be able to find will be things like working in a hostel/bar under the table or teaching English. Are you fluent in Spanish? That will help although it is a different Spanish spoken here than elsewhere.

I'm happy to help. I moved here almost 5 years ago from NYC. I thought it would be for a year, now I'm here with an SO, more horses than I can count and twins! Feel free to get in touch with me and I'll try to prep you as much as psosible.

But I def recommend you come for a period of time BEFORE you decide to make the move here. It's important you understand what you're getting into here!

3 members found this post helpful.

Definitely go for a long vacation and check it out. I visted last year for two and a half weeks and loved the country-DH and I fantasized about how we could move down there, but it would have been pretty impossible. Would go back in a heartbeat though. Everyone is so friendly and its a beautiful place.