The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sizing on Stubben saddles???

I've got a 5 yr old little (14.3) Welsh/Holsteiner who needs his own saddle but will likely change a great deal in the next year as he muscles up a bit. He's currently going out in his big brother's lovely Custom Saddlery Monte Carlo but it's too wide. Stubben saddles may be a good choice, particularly the Juventus as it has shorter flaps - 13" (most of the other models have 14.5" flaps!). Anyone know how the sizing works for Stubben saddles? This little guy is somewhere between a medium and MW Thanks!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

The tree points on most Stubbens are quite long, which makes them a better choice for "withery" horses but not so much for other conformations - they can perch in front on the wider horses. Their fit is also not terribly generous; their 32 cm (which I think is the widest they make) is probably comparable in size to a mw in many of the UK-made saddles. They're a forward-balance saddle, and many have rather curved trees, so they can rock on the flatter backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    The tree points on most Stubbens are quite long, which makes them a better choice for "withery" horses but not so much for other conformations - they can perch in front on the wider horses. Their fit is also not terribly generous; their 32 cm (which I think is the widest they make) is probably comparable in size to a mw in many of the UK-made saddles. They're a forward-balance saddle, and many have rather curved trees, so they can rock on the flatter backs.
    Thanks, Kitt! This little guy definitely has withers and the hollows to match! We can make do with the Monte Carlo but a Mattes pad ads a bit too much thickness. However, Merlin ADORES sheepskin against his back so I'm looking for another pad that might be thinner as another remedy to saddle drama (will also ask my fitter ) ...any suggestions?
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Try an Albion. They can be fitted very well by Dutchess Bridle and Saddle, Albion's warranty shop here in the US. I should know, I have three of their saddles, all custom fitted. Some trees are more fittable than others, though I believe almost all of them can be adjusted, perhaps a few of the older ones can't be. I have Legend, Style (Style is an older model) and Platinum Genesis. One of my horses was very hard to fit but they did a great job, and then the saddle could be changed as needed. Not as expensive as you might think, IMO. I was a longtime Stubben fan but I after I tried my first Albion I was an instant fan.

Are you looking for shorter flaps for you, or the horse? That might be helpful to know.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Juventus rides s.m.a.l.l.
    - my experience with old Made in Germany Stubbens - the 31 & 32 are both wide, not broadback made for a Welsh Cob wide, but certainly TB wide ...
    I wouldn't argue with Kitt re modern Stubbens

The NT tree does have shorter points but fits rather differently ... you might check with Stubben about XW & XXW etc; they have always offered much wider than a 32.
    Stubben Websale has some great prices but are final sale so you'd want to go through a Stubben rep first to know what works for your horse.

Stubben does have a standard XW tree that is wider than the 32 cm.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Stubben does make a 34cm tree. It's meant for wide draft crosse. The 32cm tree fits my rather wide Arab well. My friend's high withered TB/Clyde cross actually wears a 29cm and wears the same size girth as my Arab.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Try an Albion. They can be fitted very well by Dutchess Bridle and Saddle, Albion's warranty shop here in the US. I should know, I have three of their saddles, all custom fitted. Some trees are more fittable than others, though I believe almost all of them can be adjusted, perhaps a few of the older ones can't be. I have Legend, Style (Style is an older model) and Platinum Genesis. One of my horses was very hard to fit but they did a great job, and then the saddle could be changed as needed. Not as expensive as you might think, IMO. I was a longtime Stubben fan but I after I tried my first Albion I was an instant fan.

Are you looking for shorter flaps for you, or the horse? That might be helpful to know.
    I met my saddle fitter years and years ago when she repped Albions in our area (now working with Custom Saddlery but still likes Albions) - my now departed old guy LOVED those Albions! I really need something lightweight, short flaps, somewhat forward, but no so much that flatwork isn't possible...any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    I really need something lightweight, short flaps, somewhat forward, but no so much that flatwork isn't possible...any suggestions?
    You've not mentioned a budget, but there is a rather nice Prestige Nona at Murphy's - 16 1/2, 12in flap, small blocks, adjustable tree so you should be able to get decent amount of time out of it ... this site always has some excellent prices on decent saddles

A County Stabilizer works very well for dressage if you find one you like.

well, if you think he'll change why not just use some padding for now?

A good sheepskin pad with a gel pad or maybe a home made gusset?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Last winter I bought a Prestige Joy Jumper. It has an adjustable tree. I'm very happy with it. I have a Stubben Juventus dressage saddle and also a Stubben Edelwiess NT Deluxe. It has short points and fits my fairly high withered, wide shouldered large pony well. I had to get the Prestige Joy Jumper for my OTTB as the Edelweiss didn't fit her. I'm 5'1". The 16 1/2 Edelweiss is actually a little roomy for me and the Youth/Small Adult saddles in 16" fit me better. Talk to the man at VTO. I fou f him to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Now that I'm on my computer I'll give you a more thorough answer on my experience with Stubbens.

My WIDE Arab wears a 32cm tree. Most of the 32cm models I have put on him (my/his favorite model is the Roxane, but I have a wickedly long leg so the opposite of what you're going for) have fit him pretty well. Some better than others. The 32cm tree fits him when he isn't fit well enough and like a glove when he is. It fits comfortably with a wool fleece half pad when he's not fit and just a plain saddle pad when he is fit.

The 32cm Roxane fits my 20yo, not as wide TB mare well enough also. It does not fit my friend's giant shouldered Appendix QH, nor does it fit another friend's giant withered TB/Clyde cross. By all appearances, the Roxane fits the Appendix, but he turns into a complete jerk and acts like he isn't broke when ridden in it. So apparently it doesn't *actually* fit him. It is far too wide for the TB/Clyde cross. It actually sits on her withers when its not girthed up.

Old mare's own saddle is an even older Wotan (jumping/polo model) that's built more for the bigger withered TB. She's at least part Criollo just based on how they bred polo ponies in Argentina back in her day, so her withers aren't any more prominent than my Arab's. It is likely a 31cm tree just based on how it fits everybody and the fact that 31cm is/was the most common size. The stamp is unreadable at this point.

The giant withered TB/Clyde cross wears an ancient 29cm Siegfried with a 19" seat (her owner is 6ft).

The Appendix wears a 32cm Siegfried II. It has shorter tree points than the others and he seems comfortable in it. I actually bought that saddle for my Arab as a 4yo and it worked for a couple of years until he filled out more and he seemed vaguely uncomfortable in it.

FWIW, Catherine Haddad says she rides the majority of her horses in a 31cm tree.