The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Successful partial lease terms for students????

I would love to hear from other barn owners about the terms you use for leasing horses to students? I want them to assume some of the risk as this is a step towards owning. How do you set the length, share Vet expenses, insurance so that you don't end up holding the bag when expensive Vet care is needed? Can you enforce a lease term with a student if this horse becomes unsound and will be so for a few months or do you end up with the problem? How do you calculate this risk into your rates?

thanks so much!!!!!

did you ever get any responses? I'd be interested in this info, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmiller View Post
    I would love to hear from other barn owners about the terms you use for leasing horses to students? I want them to assume some of the risk as this is a step towards owning. How do you set the length, share Vet expenses, insurance so that you don't end up holding the bag when expensive Vet care is needed? Can you enforce a lease term with a student if this horse becomes unsound and will be so for a few months or do you end up with the problem? How do you calculate this risk into your rates?

thanks so much!!!!!
    I have been half leasing privately owned horses for several years and the standard contract language I've seen includes 1/2 board, 1/2 farrier and 1/2 routine vet. The leases have a 30 day notice clause. I'm only on the hook for non-routine vet if I cause the illness or injury through negligence. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to take on a part lease with more leaser liability than this. The lease period can be whatever you want, but, for part leases, it's usually the horse owner saying that the lease is for 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or a year unless the contract is broken...the leaser generally is not obligated beyond that 30 day notice.

Leasing a school horse might be a bit different, as you could more easily have a set, flat, rate that didn't break things down to the extent my private leases do. I doubt you'd find someone willing to take something on with more than the 30 day notice to get out. I don't think you can pass all or most risk onto the leaser, though, not being in a position to take on the long term risks of horse ownership is one reason people do part leases, or even full leases, though with a full lease a valuable horse is generally insured at the leaser's expense. Long term risk is a reason I do not just buy a horse...at middle age, with kids and aging parents, too much could go wrong in my own life to take on long term financial responsiblity for a horse.

The part leases reduce expenses for the horse owner enough that they can then bank some savings for emergencies...at least that's what my "owners" have done, rather than trying to get me to bear more of the risk of owning a horse that I don't own .

My leases have required that the horse stay at a barn chosen by the owner, under direction of a trainer and barn manager chosen by the owner...that's part of their risk management plan, making sure that the horse is supervised and cared for by someone they trust.

Oh, and what terms will attract leasers probably depends on the makeup of the students who would be leasing. One thing I've noticed is that, when it involves children or teens with non-horsey parents, they tend to look at the lease payments as guaranteeing riding time. They expect to get X rides per week or they'll be looking for makeup rides or discounts. Leases involving adults, particularly those who have owned a horse before, seem to be easier. Some lesson barns around here will let the leasing student ride another horse if their leased horse is lame or out of commission...you could do that, then the issue of the leaser wanting to end the lease because the horse is temporarily lame would be a bit less likely.

I have owned horses in the past and I understand that you can't always ride them . I've been at a barn with no indoor (in New England) and there have occasionally been weeks at a time when we couldn't ride, I'd just go and hand walk and groom the horse and not expect to be compensated for missing ride time. Same when a horse has been lame for a while. I see that with other adult leasers, not so much with the kids whose parents are paying the bills.

For a 1/2 lease on a lesson horse, I set a flat rate which includes 1/2 expenses (board, shoes, glucosamine, routine vet, etc) plus a bit for a small lease fee. I also include 4 lessons in the price. I give them 3 set days where the horse is "theirs". I don't offer makeup days if the horse is missing a shoe or it's storming or whatever. I'm trying to let them "dip their toe in the water" of horse ownership.

I've found that if you are too accommodating with makeup days and such, the 1/2 leasors will take advantage and make your life miserable. Folks that own a horse have the advantage of total flexibility. Shoe is missing on Tue? No problem, reschedule lesson for Wed after farrier comes. Yes, this flexibility is expensive- they own a horse and have 7 days to work with. If you only pay for 1/2 a horse, you can't expect the same perks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    For a 1/2 lease on a lesson horse, I set a flat rate which includes 1/2 expenses (board, shoes, glucosamine, routine vet, etc) plus a bit for a small lease fee. I also include 4 lessons in the price. I give them 3 set days where the horse is "theirs". I don't offer makeup days if the horse is missing a shoe or it's storming or whatever. I'm trying to let them "dip their toe in the water" of horse ownership.
    This is more or less what happens for me. I half-lease a horse belonging to my instructor. She sets a flat rate for me to have 2 rides per week, and I have to take 1 lesson per week as well, on a different day. So I ride 3 times per week. If I want to take mare to a clinic or show or do some extra rides, we work those out on a case-by-case basis. I'm pretty low-key, I only ride in the shows on the farm and all the clinics I have wanted in the area have swung by the farm, so I am a homebody I love the setup, and it works well for my instructor, too.

In all the partial leases I have done, it was 1/2 board, 1/2 shoes and 1/2 routine medical expenses (which really just included supplements, deworming, shots and dental). In exchange, I had three specific days of the week where I got to ride the horse. I think I only had one official contract in all the leases I've done, but they were all in-barn leases. I've also heard of contracts that specified one lesson per week, and although none of mine were like that, I always did take at least a lesson per week and if I were ever to lease out my own horse I'd consider a clause like that.

I got along super well with all of the owners I worked with and it was a positive experience for everybody, like a partnership. I was very respectful and never asked for extra days or special accommodation, but I often found that owners offered me extra riding time when they were out of town or whatnot. I also tried to treat the horses very much like "my own but not," if that makes sense -- not my place to make decisions about, but I'd help with administering medication if need be and would groom and be responsible with them as if they my own, etc. Sometimes I wonder where all these "lease from hell" stories come from, because mine have all been awesome.

I would not have signed up for any lease that involved any responsibility for vet bills beyond routine care, nor for any lease that had longer than a 30-day notice, because when I was leasing instead of owning that was a level of risk I wasn't able to handle. IMO, taking on that risk is part of the difference between leasing and owning, when you're deciding what level of financial involvement you can have with horses.