The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What can you tell me about Geneva, NY?

Hey all!

I'm going to be in Geneva, NY for 4 weeks starting in June. I'll be attending a National Team Development Camp for my sport, and I was wondering what to expect. I have celiac disease, so I'll need to find gluten friendly places/grocery stores.. Also wanted to know what to expect with weather and everything. I'll be close to the Hellstrom boathouse, although I do not know my exact address yet.

Basically tell me anything and everything there is to know about Geneva!

Thanks in advanced!!

The mods may move this to Off Topic since it's not about horses.

Geneva is a college town so there are bound to be all sorts of good places to eat (as well as bad). There are many grocery stores, shopping plazas and entertainments in the main city area. It's at the head of a lake and the weather in this area of New York State can be warm and humid over the summer months. It's not a huge city at all - but it's sprawling and rather pretty.

Geneva is a beautiful little town, located at the northern end of Seneca Lake. It's a good place to walk around and explore. There are lovely college campuses located there.

I don't know where you are now, but, there is a Wegman's located in Geneva. You may already be familiar with them but, if not, they're an absolutely wonderful grocery store, and you will be able to find all of your nutritional needs there.

You're right in the middle of the Finger Lakes, there, and it is some of the most beautiful country you could ever want to see. So, definitely make time to explore.

I'm not that close to Geneva, and have only been there a few times, so I'm not familiar with neighborhoods, or restaurants. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with those details.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Thanks for the help so far!

See here

and here

and here.

Used to drive thru this town all the time shuttling between Rochester and Ithaca. Wegman's was awesome 17-20 yrs ago - I can't imagine they would have dropped in quality. A word of warning: leave your plastic (credit or debit) in the car... it is soooooo easy to come out with 5X what you planned to buy (esp. in their specialty cheeses and deli items and OH the selection of wines...

FriskyFlea

Geneva is a pretty little town right on the lake. There are a million wineries all around the lake now; take a drive down the wine trail to Watkins Glen, at the other end of Seneca, which is a fun town and has a gorgeous little state park where you can go walking around through the waterfalls.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Default Geneva

Well, I work in Geneva and live south of there on the east side of Seneca Lake. I echo what everyone else has said and there is no shortage of sights and things to do. Are you a rower? Seneca Lake is very large and quite mercurial, but absolutely beautiful and a major source of fresh water.

As Louise has indicated, Wegman's is fabulous and Geneva has started to attract an electic assortment of eateries that are quite good. Hobart and Wm. Smith Colleges give the area an wealth of cultural events and programs. It's a beautiful campus and, even though the students are gone now, there is a fair amount of activity (sports camps, Elderhostel, etc.).

Foundationmare - didn't know you lived smack dab in the Finger Lakes area... loved driving on 96A up the east side of Seneca Lake. I would drive early in the morning so it was quite a sight when the lake first became visible in the dawn hours. As you know, that road goes right next to the western boundary of the Seneca Army Depot and, in faint twilight, the depot's white deer were an ethereal apparition when they grazed near the fence. Always experienced a privileged feeling when I could spot any of them.

FF

Oh boy, great info! We're going to be in the area in September for a couple of days. May have to squeeze in an extra day now