The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Contractors!@#$#$#$%%^^*^

They are called independent for a reason.
    I remodeled my house in 2007. It was top to bottom. Inside and out. It was done by a friend at church. He did a good job but it took FOREVER. My bathroom is tiled. small room, lots of tile. My toilet has apparently been leaking for some time, and the tile by the toilet has begun to 'erupt'. Due to other considerations, I do not want him to redo it.
    I called a local company that does a lot of advertising, they came out, gave me a long presentation. They qave me a price, which I thought was perhaps high, but reasonable. Then they didn't call me back for 8 days! I called them to see when they were going to come out to fix my bathroom. Well, they needed to send someone else out to look it over. 3 days later he showed up, chomping on gum, and looking at the bath and the basement, checking the sub floor. He was here for about ten minutes, and left. An hour later, the original guy called me back to say, they needed to rip out the old claw foot bath tub, encased with the lovely tile, and do the entire sub floor. I was enraged. The original guy had told me they did NOT need to do that. I had already secured the money, and don't want to/can't get any more money. I told him I was going to check out the competition.
    I called another in the yellow pages. He never even showed up. I called another one, on a Tuesday, and they could come out on Monday. Another week! Well, he came out, and while I liked his approach much better, he was $1,000 higher than the other one. The original hasn't even called to see if we could work something out. I am irritated beyond belief. Am I unreasonable?
    Another killer of threads

Get three prices and consider the guys that don't run big splashy ads.

I'm sorry you're having trouble. That's got to be a headache.

have you contacted your home owner's insurance company? water leaks are normally covered under all of the policies.... the policy should cover the damage but not the cause of the leak

Are you a member of Angie's List? I have found them quite helpful in the past. I found an excellent landscaping guy by checking there, and, though I already had a pretty good idea who the contractor was going to be for my new sunroom, I checked there first to find out what others said about them. They had many excellent reviews and I have been eminently satisfied with them and will add another good review when they are finished (this week, yay!)
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

I would also just ask around and try and find someone word of mouth. And don't discount what the guy said about replacing the sub floor. He may be right, painful as it is to hear. You need to find someone you can trust to give you the right answer or it could end up costing you more in the long run. Get it fixed right the first time.

Thanks for the quick responses!
    I KNOW at least part of the sub floor has to be replaced. The reason I was angry is that when the first guy, salesman/rep came out, he told me the sub floor under the toilet had to be replaced. No prob. I already knew that. He specifically told me it didn't extend to the tub. The second guy who actually did come out said it did NOT need to remove the tub and replace that sub floor.
    I never even THOUGHT about contacting my home owners! I have paid that policy for 30 years and never a claim! I will call them Tuesday morning!
    Thanks cothers!
    Also, the company that came out first, has been in business for a while. If anything goes wrong they will replace for free.

We were needing some bathroom work done and I was also having problems finding a contractor. With the help of Google, I found with the housing slow down, a local builder witha very good reputation had expanded to remodel work. I'm very happy with them. I never guessed with such a small project a builder would be interested.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

In this economic climate many contractors or builders will do smaller jobs, and they do it just to keep their crews working. My contractor will also let his employees do smaller jobs that he's not interested in, or is too busy. My remodel after the attic fire was done by the contractor that my friends used to build their house, and it was partly because he was good friends with some people I knew, but also because the building market has slowed, and he could keep his crews busy.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses!
    Ha! They're not contractors!!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Those that advertise all over the TV and other places tend to be very busy with little jobs, run their subcontractors, that is the ones they find to do the work ragged and you never know who you are getting.

I am doing right now some work on the bathroom because of a faulty tub and it turned out to be a much bigger job.
    That just happens regularly.

Thankfully, I had a builder I know take the job and he sent the good workers from good companies, plumbers and tile man and they are getting it done properly.

It is frustrating to have them around for days on end and it is costly if you have the good people doing the work, but they will get it done right and we should not have any more problems for many years.

Don't just go with the first one that comes, maybe find a builder that comes well recommended and let him find the right people to do what needs to be done.

Whatever you do, put up not only sufficient money for the job, but a bushel full of patience.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, here is another update. The second guy came back with an offer. It is $1000 more that the big splashy company. I hemmed and hawed over it, and reluctantly decided to go with big splashy, because that was the money I had. I called Friday evening, and left him a message. I told him I didn't expect to hear from him till Tuesday, but to call me then. Well, he didn't call! I was so mad. The second guy, did call back, and he is pruning the price, which I don't really want him to do. I mean, I want to pay less, but I do not want to rob him. I believe the worker is worthy of his wage. We are near to a price, he has come back and dropped $500, and if I wait a couple of weeks, I think I can make it. Another friend has a friend, who has been at this for a while, and swears he can do it for $1500.
    Some of you may remember, I found a snake in the bath over the weekend, and I know there is a hole somewhere in the crawlspace. [Snakey hasn't made a repeat appearance.] If I went the cheaper route, I could probably get that fixed too, and pay off everything but the house. I feel that I should go with the company though so if there are problems they can be addressed.
    BTW, whoever suggested calling the Insurance company, I tried that. He told me they didn't deal with 'maintenance issues', only actual damage from a specific incident.

Pull your poiicy out and read it... there are three basic forms (or this is what I was taught so it may have changed but there are three basic forms of homeowners insurance HO-1, HO-2 and HO-3. If you have jsut HO-1 then the agent most likely is correct.

However if you have a HO-3 policy it covers everthing that is not specifically excluded, while a HO-2 policy covers most accidential discharges.

Both 2 and 3 policy types cover accidental water or steam discharges or overflow from your plumbing, air-conditioning, heating or automatic fire-sprinkler systems, or from appliances.

Bless you clanter!

There is a huge difference between contractors who remodel, and those who build new. DH and I will never ever bring in someone who specializes in new construction.
    YMMV, of course.