The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sam Marsh Pelham legal?

I recently tried a new bit on the horse I'm riding and found that he went well in it. We weren't sure what it was called but a quick google image search seems to point to it being called a "Sam Marsh Pelham."

I'm wondering if anyone knows if this bit is legal at the rated shows in the Eq ring? I tried searching through the rule book online but couldn't even find where they talk about bits at all. I'd appreciate any help you all can offer on where to look.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

One of these? http://www.equiport.co.uk/product_detail.cfm?pId=370

IMHO it would be considered unconventional for hunters or regular eq classes and medals. It would also be easy to spot as the part that hangs outside the mouth doesn't look like a regular pelham.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Well, a pelham is legal and no one will look at the mouth piece of the bit, so it's probably o.k..

@Peggy- yes, that's the bit. You can definitely tell it's not a normal pelham when you look at it from the side. That's why I wanted to check and see if it's legal. I don't want to break any rules but the horse sure does go better in it.

I think you'd have to at least be prepared in your mind to be dinged for unconventional tack. That is a *lot* of shank to be carrying (by today's standards anyway) for the eq. ring.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

We always called that a polo bit. And there is no such thing as illegal, only unconventional. It is going to depend on your judge.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

1 members found this post helpful.

It's pretty obvious from the side and thats kind of too much shank to convince the judge what an effective rider you are. You dont want to project the impression you need it. Why gamble when it costs so much to compete?? Hate to be on the edge of qualifying for the finals and get dinged.

But you can sure warm up with it and/ or do a schooling Jumper class in it to keep him honest. Find something else for in front if the judge. Mylar may have something with a solid mouth like a pelham version of their comfort snaffle to get you the mouthpiece and lift combination you need when in front of a judge.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by WombatCA View Post
    @Peggy- yes, that's the bit. You can definitely tell it's not a normal pelham when you look at it from the side. That's why I wanted to check and see if it's legal. I don't want to break any rules but the horse sure does go better in it.
    There was some pelham that Tori Colvin showed in last year at Devon, it had a very long shank that was almost curved a little at the bottom. I definitely noticed in pictures it didn't look like a normal pelham, but didn't seem to hurt her placings any. Although, no offense, I highly doubt you're Tori Colvin and us mere mortals can't get away with the same thing!

ETA: This was the equitation as well. And like MRoades said, it will depend on the judge. Some won't penalized (or even notice) and others would.

Here is a pic: http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...40123724_n.jpg

@mroades- we called it a polo bit too! It took me a while to find the official name for it.
    @rel6- lol, I'm definitely not Tori Colvin! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who needs the leverage, though.

Everyone, thanks for the responses. We're still trying different things but I've liked this one the best so far. I will definitely keep your comments in mind when it comes time to show. Hopefully I can find something that works as well but looks a little more traditional!

I found the Mikmar non jointed pelham was the closest thing functionally that you could "get away with"
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

We also call them polo bits, and have shown in them with success, but only when all other options failed. Slapped two reins, used a "normal" curb chain, and off we went!

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

I will second the suggestion of a Mikmar solid mouthed pelham.

If you find that you really like that bit, but don't want to risk it being considered unconventional, you should contact Jay Shuttleworth. He can most likely make that mouthpiece with a regular pelham shank (5").
    Mendokuse

1 members found this post helpful.