The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    WEBSITE WHERE YOU FOUND THAT??? Is it just rumor-mongering (considering they spelled "published" wrong!) or something legit?
    Hmmmm, now that you mention it, it was Wikia. Curses, I want to get my hands on that book.
    http://stephenking.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Sawyer_3

Sigh. Just rumor-mongering. OTOH, looking forward to Doctor Sleep, arriving shortly! Also, highly recommend Joe Hill's new novel, N0S4AT2.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird View Post

<much snipping>

House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski
    I was going to toss this one out there but OP is working with a kindle and I am struggling to see how HOL would work on a device. Has anyone read this or other... erm, creatively laid-out works on an ereader? How does that go?

I swear I'm not an old fogie, just unfamiliar with the ways of the e-book.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Ah, didn't see the kindle part. House of Leaves must be had in old fashioned ink and paper to truly appreciate.

If you like the book, you might like the album Haunted, by his sister Poe (Anne Danielewski). It has songs loosely based on the book.

Anything by Kate Elliott, but particularly her Crown of Stars series (though only the first 3 are on Kindle right now, they are older books and books 4 thru 7 are not yet e-booked). Also her most recent trilogy, Cold Magic, Cold Fire, and COld Steel, are fantastic, gripping fantasy novels set in a really unique alt-Europe and New World setting.

Guy Gavriel Kay - Under Heaven, which is the companion book to River of Stars (same world, earlier in the timeline) and is long and lovely. In fact I'd recommend ANYTHING by Kay.

I don't know if it's on Kindle, but Trinity by Leon Uris is excellent. Historical fiction and the plot follows the early days of politics and conflict leading to the Easter Uprising and the subsequent Troubles in N. Ireland. It's long, long, long.

Hah! All of these books pale in length when compared to the longest novel in English - Clarissa. It's 1700 pages on paper and 49,000 p. or so on the Kindle. Even though it was written in the late 1700s it is still very contemporary. Some of it was a little hard to get through, but I still enjoyed it.

Kindle version is $3.99, can't beat the price per page!

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I think the 7th or 8th book comes out this fall. I reread them.

Also Anne McCaffrey Pern series of books are good reads.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    I loved Mists of Avalon.
    Awesome Awesome book. I can't count the number of times I have re-read it.

And it is a giant book part of a multi book series!
    http://www.amazon.com/Mists-Avalon-M.../dp/0345350499
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

The Neverending Story. Michael Ende was a fantastic writer, although YA/children, his books were good enough for everybody to enjoy.

And in case you have watched the movie.....it has very little to do with the book. Ende called it the 'Ocean liner in the wrong direction' He was not pleased. (Momo by him is great, too, but not as long and not widely available in English)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thanks, guys! When the agent I'm querying tells me my manuscript is too long, I am going to send her a link to this discussion.

Here's a few more I didn't see mentioned:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Her second one, The Swan Thieves, is just as long but not nearly as good, IMO.

Defend the Realm: The Authorized History of MI-5 by Christopher Andrew is an excellent read, and clocks in at 851 pages not counting index, end notes, and bibliography. There's also one about MI-6, but I don't have it yet.

Terry Brooks' Shannara series is excellent as well. High fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    Huge Stephen King fan here. My favorite is The Stand. Over 1200 pages. Really leaves something to think about after you are through reading it!
    Really? I enjoyed that book, but I am so surprised to hear how long it is. I don't remember it being so. Must be because he writes such page turners that go so fast.

Fiona Walker. French Relations, Well Groomed, etc. Jilly Cooper with eventing.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    Sharon Kay Penman writes great long books about English history and royalty, including a great 3-book series on Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine and their offspring. Her books use real historical events and settings but she sometimes weaves in a fictional characters to carry the story along (no werewolves or time travel). You can definitely get hooked and feel like you're learning something at the same time. Her website for anyone interested is http://http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/penman_books.asp
    Best. Author. Ever. She even sent me a new copy of Here Be Dragons when my very old one (stolen from my sophomore english teacher) literally fell to pieces. Her books are well written, historically accurate, and very very meaty. Here Br Dragons (and the Welsh series) will always be my favorite, but Lionheart, her most recent, was excellent. (As is everything she writes!)

Also agree with The Outlander series. My 7th grade class just finished excerpts from Nelson Mandela's A Long Walk to Freedom. I'm going to really read it this summer. The parts we read were fascinating!
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Kristin Lavransdatter, Sigrid Undset -- 1126 pages
    The Source, James Michener -- 928 pages
    The Once and Future King, T.H. White -- 639 pages
    Desiree, Annemarie Selinko -- 607 pages
    The Dragonriders of Pern, Anne McCaffrey -- 832 pages
    Of Human Bondage, Somerset Maugham -- 704 pages
    Sometimes a Great Notion, Ken Kesey -- 640 pages
    Bleak House, Charles Dickens -- 1017 pages
    The Awakening Land; The Trees, The Fields, & The Town, Conrad Richter -- 630 pages

Anything by Leon Uris; Trinity has been mentioned (I thought it was a great book too), but also Exodus, Mila 18.

Some of John Le Carre's spy novels.

Trilogies and series like My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead, and The Green Grass of Wyoming, by Mary O'Hara.

It seems like the Dune series were pretty long, but I can't find info on number of pages. I kind of loved, kind of hated those books. They were hard to put down, but a little too gross for me in some parts. Plus the giant penis worms kept making me laugh.

Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company is a fantastic dark fantasy series that follows a band of mercenaries on their adventures. Seriously one of my favorite series of all times. I think there are around 9 books total so will keep you busy for a good long while.
    Free and Forward Motion through Massage Therapy
    www.amandastarrbodywork.com

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

Second The Far Pavilions, in fact anything by M.M. Kaye. Also huge fan of Rumer Godden (mostly out of print, can be a b!tch to find), Mary Stewart (Arthur series), and Terry Pratchett. Diana Wynne Jones is quite good, she wrote Howl's Moving Castle.
    For deep reading, anything by Solzhenitsyn

CFF

Circle of Friends, Maeve Binchy -- 736 pages