The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Also Thieves' World and Sanctuary, edited by Robert Lynn Aspirin. Short stories by different authors about a dark yet engaging world.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

Gene Wolfe, Book of the New Sun (series). May not be quite as long page-wise as you requested but they require deep reading!

ETA: Patrick Rothfuss Name of the Wind and a Wise Man's Fear! The only problem with these is that the third book isn't out yet.
    Last edited by ClassAction; May. 26, 2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Add'l info
    Forward momentum!

I don't know your reading tastes but the Flowers of the Field (672 pages) and a Flower thats Free (sequel, 780? pages) are excellent novels about two women during both WWI and WWII. Very good writing, and pretty long!I read them while I was with my ex doing his field work in Kenya. He bored trees and I read! And read!

Of course almost anything by Pat Conroy, although not series, is wonderful and long (but did not like South of Broad). Prince of Tides, the Great Santini, Lords of Discipline.

I really enjoyed Reversible Errors (well almost everything) by Scott Turow, and this, about a lawyer trying to get a death penalty client off, and the prosectutor and police involved, is really good and over 500 pages.

I am not much of a Stephen King fan but Bag of Bones (also over 500 pages) is superb. I listened to it for a whole ski season of commuting back and forth to the ski condo and it was really really good. Just never got into his others but they are long!

Forgot! The Raj Quartet! SEveral books starting with Jewel in the Crown, about the English in India. Very well written, and four books in the series!

Sarum, and it's follow-up The Forest..................wonderful, intelligent, and also educational.........spans the history of humans from very early on to present day, but giving each character a name,pesonality,etc....linking them to events in history, and weaving loooong family lines thru history to see how they are connected, all the while explaining historic events and their significance on the folks in the story.......I find it extremely interesting, and the description of historic events much easier to retain than dates/names

2 members found this post helpful.

Oooh, forgot Sarum! That is an excellent book! Hadn't heard of the Forest! so thanks for that! Sarum is definitely long, the history of Salisbury (and really of England) through the viewpoint of seveal characters. I really enjoyed that!

How about War & Peace? Guy at the bookstore laughed at me when I bought it and said I wanted something long to read for a trip I was taking.

I never made it through the book, I now use it as an extra boost on a chair to change smoke alarm batteries its thicker than a phone book.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

I am reading River of Stars (632 pages, c.2013) by Guy Gavriel Kay.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Lamb, Wally. I Know This Much Is True. 901 pages.

2x Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace.

If you are into non-fiction, David McCullough has a whole slew of excellent & very long work. I especially enjoyed The Path Between The Seas & The Great Bridge.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Has anyone mentioned Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series yet?

I also recommend "Infinite Jest" but the long book that took me the longest to read was James Joyce's "Ulysses."
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

"The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant" by Steven Donaldson is a wonderful series. The first and second trilogy are over a thousand pages combined. The last book in the final trilogy will be out later this year and that one had four books in it. A wonderful fantasy series that is considered one of the classics but not as many people know about. When your done with that he has "The GAP Sequence" and then a nice two book series "Mordant's Need". He is one of my favorite authors.
    Hanlon's Razor

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

3 members found this post helpful.

All of James Clavell's novels - set in historical China and Japan. AWESOME. Start with Shogun and then Tai Pan and go forward in order of historical time after that.

And Wilbur Smith and a huge long series of historical novels set in Africa. They are really a great read.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

4 members found this post helpful.

The Count of Monte Cristo
    Les Miserables
    Complete works of Emile Zola
    Marcel Proust's books
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Oooh, go a little old school -- timeless, brilliant writing!

Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit, and assorted "extra" books (The Silmarillion, as example)

Anna Karenina is fascinating.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Stephen King-
    11/22/63 was fantastic! I'm now about 3/4 through Under the Dome. It's good too, not quite as good as 11/22, but still good. Neither one is the traditional Stephen King horror story.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm just starting the Passage, 750-ish pages or so.

Cryptonomicon and my most recent fave, Parade's End. Marcel Proust!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Huge Stephen King fan here. My favorite is The Stand. Over 1200 pages. Really leaves something to think about after you are through reading it!

Sharon Kay Penman writes great long books about English history and royalty, including a great 3-book series on Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine and their offspring. Her books use real historical events and settings but she sometimes weaves in a fictional characters to carry the story along (no werewolves or time travel). You can definitely get hooked and feel like you're learning something at the same time. Her website for anyone interested is http://http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/penman_books.asp
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.