The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Well THAT was different! Playing with DH and his horses... :)

DH, who has been off for more than a year due to two shoulder surgeries, is finally back as good as the surgeon can make a mid-30s career cowboy. Today was his first time throwing a rope in that time, and I was enlisted to help *cue less-than-enthused face*.

I rode the mare with 60 days training, while dragging a "pup sled," which is a calf-sized and -shaped dummy on skies, and DH rode his finished calf horse who hasn't been ridden in about eight months. He's been lungeing her, and putting days on the other mare. I almost died, riding a 13.3 mare who probably weighs 1200+ pounds, in a "Wade tree" western saddle with bucking rolls, when I'm normally on my 15.3 WB who doesn't even weigh that much yet. My hips, dear lord... But I gotta admit, she was a champ.

It was actually pretty fun!

http://youtu.be/2jjIxq_XoxQ

The commentary if you can't make it out:

DH: "keep going if I miss it."
    Me: "Alright, I'll keep going then."
    BO is the one laughing, she calls us Cowboy Rob and English Jenn. Notice my pretty blue CO helmet and baby blue gloves. I figured I'd walk on the wild side and not use a hair net...

Also, the bloopers reel:

http://youtu.be/QUHnQDJ6WOs

Mare's front feet got going faster than her back feet, she's a little rusty. I think the BO sucked all the available oxygen from the immediate area .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

4 members found this post helpful.

Ooo, that is a *thick* little bay! My hips ached watching you on her! She's a doll! Love the roany-pony mare! She just had a proper sit-down, lol! An APHA gelding I used to have would sometimes do the same going forwards or backwards. He pulled one of those in a slide, laughed my arse off for days at him. He was yippee-yahooing and slid so far he rolled back onto his bum and then slowly kept rolling over backwards as his slide ran out of steam. That's a cute couple of cow ponies you have. The bay with 60 days on her..how old is she?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

She IS thick. Seriously, her chest is probably a solid 12'' between her front legs, and I WISH I was exaggerating! She is six, DH got her last year in March with a very questionable 30 days on her as a three year old and then out on Montana range. He rode her a handful of times and then had the first surgery, which was horrible unsuccessful, so she sat again here. DH says it's nice that she's six because she has a brain and can think her way through things, but it's also "shitty" because she's old enough to have opinions.

His roan mare is tha bomb. I loff her greatly. I have tried unsuccessfully to steal her away to the dark side, but she loves roping calves too much.

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

2 members found this post helpful.

Loved the videos. W.I.D.E. pony. Blooper had me gasping!

Thanks for sharing!
    Ride like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    His roan mare is tha bomb. I loff her greatly. I have tried unsuccessfully to steal her away to the dark side, but she loves roping calves too much.
    What a cutie!

LOVE the little bay mare we have her kindred sister here 13.3 tall and 13.3 wide does not fit in a 74 blanket because she is to WIDE.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...24391931_n.jpg

How much fun to have a SO that enjoys horses !
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Yep!! Looks like a brick, just like DH's bay mare! It's nice he's interested, but it's pretty much the only thing we argue about

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG too funny! Love both the horses - and when the roan sat down. LOL!