The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What is the best choice for seat/knee roll leather?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buffalo

11 50.00%
  • Calf

11 50.00%

Question Saddle Leather Preferences

Hi everyone! I am in the process of getting a new saddle, my first time ever! I have always gotten used saddles that fit me and my horse pretty well, but have never had a saddle made for me. I am choosing between CWD, Devoucoux and Antares. This saddle needs to last me for years, because it is a really big investment for me. Because of this, I am definitely getting grain leather flaps. But, my question is, what is everyone's opinion on the seat leather? All of the brands above use calf for the seat and knee pads, but I have the option to get buffalo leather instead. I tried the buffalo on the Devoucoux, and loved how secure it made me feel. However, I don't want to spend so much on a saddle only to have the leather have problems within a couple of years. What is everyone's experience and advice on seat/knee roll leather? Is the buffalo worth it? Thank you!!!

Personally I like the look of calf better, but buffalo actually holds up better and is a little grippier. If you don't mind the look of it, then go for it. I really dislike the look of it though. I personally went for grain on the flaps and skirt and calf on the knees and seat on my Luc Childeric.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

I've had 2 or 3 calf Devoucouxs and one buffalo, and let me say the buffalo is well worth the investment. So, so nice. However, I think next time I will go for CWD, as I just don't love the way the Devoucouxs are built (mine was custom for my horse and doesn't even fit him that well), though CWD just bought Devoucoux so perhaps that will change.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    However, I think next time I will go for CWD, as I just don't love the way the Devoucouxs are built (mine was custom for my horse and doesn't even fit him that well), though CWD just bought Devoucoux so perhaps that will change.
    This is great to know! Any advice on saddle fit as well service from these companies would be really helpful as well! Definitely don't want buyer's remorse!

I did not use the vote button because I don't remember which type of leather my saddle has on the skirts and flaps.
    I have the County Stabilizer with the XTR leather. I LOVE it. It has instant broken in grip and has passed the wear and tear test of time for me and my ponies.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

1 members found this post helpful.

I chose grain with calf seat and knees for my CWD. I just don't care for the appearance of buffalo. It held up beautifully, when I stopped riding and sold it 7 years later it still looked pristine.

Out of those brands I prefer CWD, Antares, Devoucoux. Personally I didn't like the way the Devoucoux worked for me, but loves the cwd and the Antares for me. Unfortunately none of them worked used for me so I settled on a Luc Childeric which IMO is fantastic and I'm glad I made the choice. I love mine.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Best saddle I ever owned was a County Stabilizer XTR - it was perfect in every way - even my trainer who showed grand prix jumpers preferred my saddle to hers due to the grippy buffalo!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields