The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Happy" Memorial Day ?

a local grocery store had this sign up, covered in pictures of American flags and hamburgers. Said something like "summer's coming" in smaller letters.

"Happy." Really? I couldn't believe it. I emailed the store saying that I had been intending to come in but bypassed it when I saw that sign. I'm not a veteran, have no one in the forces and for some reason that really got to me.

Store got back to me twice, first saying they'd look into it and again a short time ago to say they'd taken it down.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    a local grocery store had this sign up, covered in pictures of American flags and hamburgers. Said something like "summer's coming" in smaller letters.

"Happy." Really? I couldn't believe it. I emailed the store saying that I had been intending to come in but bypassed it when I saw that sign. I'm not a veteran, have no one in the forces and for some reason that really got to me.

Store got back to me twice, first saying they'd look into it and again a short time ago to say they'd taken it down.
    Why wouldn't people be happy on a long weekend in the spring? Do you spend the day in mourning, or something?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

4 members found this post helpful.

Memorial Day is a day to remember and honour those who lost their lives serving our country. I mean, we shouldn't mope around all weekend, but have some respect. My family has a LOOOOONG military history. Goes back many, many generations.

IMO, there are a lot of people who have forgotten why this is a holiday... it's just another day off work and another reason to throw a party. To my former instructor, all it means is that she can go take the flowers out of the cemetery. TBH, I don't think I would have thought anything of the sign... I'm so used to seeing them I haven't really thought about it.

I agree that "Happy" Memorial Day doesn't seem right. But then, I think there aren't very many people who see it as anything more than a "long weekend in the spring." The meaning of the holiday has been lost on most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

1 members found this post helpful.

While "happy" may not be the best way to represent the holiday, I think it was well intended. It is a day to remember but also a day to spend with your family. Family time is always happy time
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

2 members found this post helpful.

To put this more in to prespective; I just lost my 27 year old cousin last month. He served to tours in Iraq and had PTSD. He was on a waiting list through the military to get help. He ended up taking his own life. So ya when it comes to using the word Happy in front of Memorial I do take offense to that.

I think it was a tasteless sign and I'm glad they took it down. Just another one of those thoughtless things we humans do.

I'm not big on military stuff, but I respect the day and the reason for keeping it, and have many ancestors on both sides of my family who were vets, including one who died in a war. "Happy" just doesn't seem appropriate, IMO. Yes, it's a nice long weekend, and yes, some people tend to spend it with families, and hopefully they are happy rather than sad.

But "Happy Memorial Day"? Nope.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by gdolapp View Post
    To put this more in to prespective; I just lost my 27 year old cousin last month. He served to tours in Iraq and had PTSD. He was on a waiting list through the military to get help. He ended up taking his own life. So ya when it comes to using the word Happy in front of Memorial I do take offense to that.
    I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin and that the system for his complete recovery let him down. ((hugs))