The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Relocating the horse with an ulcer hx- protocol for UlcerGard or ranitidine?

Six months ago, my horse developed ulcers after three months of bute and a relocation. He was successfully treated with GastroGard and now lives on SmartGut Ultra at vet's recommendation and as much free choice hay as he cares to eat, which is a lot. He is about to relocate again in the upcoming weeks and although he tends to be very blase about travel in all respects and his routine will be the same, I'd prefer not to do another month of GastroGard after the fact. So: UlcerGard? Ranitidine? I was thinking start 3 or 4 days before the move, continue 3 or 4 days after?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

For my ulcer-prone horse, I do half a tube of UlcerGard 2-3 days before and continue for another 3-4 days.

Gastrogard and ulcergard are the same thing... The dose meter is the only difference.

I've been told that, for a move, you want to do a few days of 1/4 tube of ulcergard/GG, and continue for 2 weeks once you have arrived. So that adds up to 4 tubes or so of the stuff.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Eventer13- and GG is rx-only whereas UG is OTC, right? I said "month of GG," but I used UG; they're all buffered omep anyway.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

You could use ranitidine 2 times per day a few days before and after. It would be cheaper than UG.

I would assume the original ulcers were from the bute, not the relocation (though that may have absolutely aggravated things).

3 months of bute pretty much guarantees ulcers. Period. He should have been on 2x daily ranitidine then

But, it's cheap enough to do a course of ranitidine for the upcoming move. Every 12 hours should be fine, I'd start 3-4 days before and continue for maybe a week after, just so he's getting help while he's settling in.

When my worrier horse travels, I give him 2 packs of pop rocks daily starting 48 hours before we leave and continuing daily through the trip home.
    Click here before you buy.