The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good source for bulk sea salt in Alberta, Canada? Free choice salt/minerals??

Hi!

Needing a reasonably priced source for bulk sea salt in Alberta, Canada. Anyone have any links or info?

Also, what are you putting your free choice sea salt and minerals in to feed pasture kept horses? New to this...

Thanks all!

All salt comes from a sea. The concept of 'sea salt' is just marketing. The stuff they mine underground is just older from ancient seas that have evaporated. I can't figure out why being recently evaporated is any better. Since ancient seas had a lot less pollution that seas today, I'd rather have older, cleaner salt for me and mine.

Agree with Katy. There is virtually nothing special about "sea salt". And although horses do a pretty good job of self-regulating sodium ingestion when they have the option, they do very poorly at properly choosing how much of the other minerals they actually need.

A good old red and white salt block work for my herd. Sometimes they prefer one, sometimes the other, but their rate of consumption is remarkably consistent year to year.
    Click here before you buy.

If you want loose salt, try Peavey Mart, UFA, and if you are in a very rural area, try Great Canadian Wholesale where I get my loose salt. I just plop some in a feed pan inside and let the horse have at it.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Thanks for the replies. The salt block that the farm owner has in there now is mixed with other minerals that are not specific for horses. I want to keep salt separate from other minerals, and I do not want the salt iodized or with added cobalt for example. I ended up putting their loose minerals in a free standing mineral feeder that the farm owner had left over from his forays in the cattle business years ago.

Because horses do not "crave" most vitamins and minerals it is important to add salt to the loose mineral. Hoffmans I know has salt added but not much, I always add some loose salt to the loose minerals for my broodies/youngsters that are out 24/7. The Equest blocks also work great to provide both salt and other minerals as well as vitamins.....and the horses really like them.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

There is a difference between mined rock salt - old deposit, non-refined, compound mix with trace elements - & industrially finished table salt which is iodized sodium chloride with added sodium silicoaluminate or sodium ferrocyanide (anti-caking agents).

Unless you're in a heavy iodide area, iodide won't hurt (and is vitally important, in fact) and cobalt is also important in small amounts.
    Click here before you buy.