The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you are selling hay out of your stack, definitely rethink putting the hay up on a loft.
    No need to have to handle hay so much as getting it up to a loft and back down.
    Think if it may work best to put it where people can drive up to it to load their pickup easily.
    If you have larger amounts, best in a separate structure.

Another thing you may want to consider--in many places, a permanent structure increases your property taxes, versus a "temporary structure" like the large tent-like structures. And it requires siteplans, building permits and all that other stuff. And barns don't always increase property value. So if you are thinking about the 2-story barn for increasing resale, you may want to reconsider and put in a single story barn that could be converted to a garage and use a large tent-type structure (can't remember what they're called, but lots of people have the really big ones for indoor arenas around here to avoid the property tax issue) or carport for the hay. Also solves the dust, lifting and fire issues.
    "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service." Plutarch

1 members found this post helpful.

I built and furnished a 24x32 polebarn with 11' walls (no hay loft) for about $12k in 2007. (materials only, not labor.)

I did all of the labor myself with the help from family and friends. I had no prior building experience but my dad did so that helped. I quickly learned and now construction is one of my favorite things. But it was a LOT of work.

It has metal siding and a shingle roof. The stalls are not fancy stall fronts -- I made them myself out of 2x6's and cattle panels.

I have 3 stalls, one 6x12 tack room with a small hay loft above it, and the remaining 6x12 space is also hay storage. I can store ~120 bales in there. Stalls are 12x11 and the aisle is 10' wide. It really is a tight fit for 3 horses and I have to be efficient, but I've made it work. Now that 1 of my horses is boarded at my trainer's farm, it really is much more comfortable for 2 horses. I keep equipment, feed, and chickens in the 3rd stall.

Instead of building taller it would probably be cheaper to build long and narrow. Over 24' wide you need wider trusses which cost more; going taller or wider you need more and bigger posts.

My husband and I - both professional trainers - just moved to our own property and were struggling with what type of barn to put up. He wanted to build it himself, but in the end, we needed the structure up more quickly, and he didn't have enough time in the day to do it. We ended up doing a custom-designed 8-stall with run-outs from Triton Barn Systems. It was a complete kit and we were able to put it up ourselves with almost no other help. The cost of the kit was about $40K, although that is with essentially 16 stalls worth of space. They will design any size structure with any configuration of stalls or storage. We were not sure how we would like it since my hubbie is a perfectionist with a lot of building experience, but we are really happy with it. Terrific customer service.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I agree that it may make sense to try to go one story with a bigger footprint.

Sucker, thanks for the comment about the knee wall. It made me realize that at least the one estimate includes a 3' kneewall. I don't think I need that, so might be a place to cut costs.

wildlifer, thanks for the link. They don't service my area, although I have checked with a few other similar companies that do, and so far they are not cheaper than hiring a local carpenter. mountaintimesh, thanks for the hint about Triton - will investigate.

And, yes - r.e. taxes. Good point - something to talk with the assessor about.

I built a 40'x24' 3 stall + tack room + wash stall + loft above tack room for right around $20k. This included everything from excavation to electricity to landscaping. My electric alone was $3k because it's so far from the house.

It's basically a glorified shed row - all three stalls + feed room are on one long side. I have a 16' opening on the other long side. Plan was to put doors eventually, but they really seem unnecessary and I love the openness. When I bring my horse into the wash rack, they are in front of the feed room. My straw sits in the corner opposite the wash rack, and I have about 4 months of straw there. My walls are 12' and so above my feed room I have a 4' knee wall and can store 2 months of hay up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    If you are selling hay out of your stack, definitely rethink putting the hay up on a loft.
    No need to have to handle hay so much as getting it up to a loft and back down.
    Think if it may work best to put it where people can drive up to it to load their pickup easily.
    If you have larger amounts, best in a separate structure.
    Which would work, if we had a separate location for a separate building, and the money to build a separate building...

A hay elevator makes the job just as easy as stacking it in a ground level building, if not easier because you can load it onto the elevator directly from the wagon, no walking to get it into a building.

We have the equipment that makes it possible: hay elevator, hay wagons, tractors. If not, may be a different story.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by geog272 View Post
    ...Sucker, thanks for the comment about the knee wall. It made me realize that at least the one estimate includes a 3' kneewall. I don't think I need that, so might be a place to cut costs....
    My hay loft with the knee wall is WAY bigger than I need room for hay for 2 horses...

After putting I think between 600 and 700 1st cut bales upstairs, and about 100 2nd cut bales, we estimated we could've fit a total of about 1000 bales up there. My horses have pasture in the summer, so I don't feed hay out during the summer months. That means if we were to fill the loft, we would probably have about 500 to 700 bales to sell as people needed it.

Bluey mention ease of access with a loft if people are buying hay from you...the door upstairs opens right next to the driveway. I go upstairs, open the door, and toss hay down right into the pickup of the person buying it.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm certain we could fit more than 1000 bales...

We had about 800 bales up there, and it wasn't but half full.