The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much did you pay for your ~two stall barn

I am looking at building a ~28 X 32 pole barn (two stalls, space for a third in the future, hay loft above, stairs to said hay loft). Estimate is ~25k. I am discouraged -- seems like such a simple structure -- no wash stall, no tack room, no extra amenities, whatsoever.

So, just curious what others paid for their 2-3 stall barn?

Where are you located?
    Here are some barn prices and that web site also has some for larger barns:

http://www.rmstoragebarns.com/files/horse-barns.pdf

http://www.rmstoragebarns.com/rmsb-series.htm

Could you not build a basic barn and a second storage building for hay for less than that?

I would like to store a year's worth of hay in whatever structure I have... Most people here sell hay out of the field; you kind of have to chance it or be a favorite customer if you want to buy more hay half way through the winter. I have thought about separate structures... have looked at the farmtek plastic hoop house looking buildings for hay storage. I feel like a regular barn would add more value to the property for future resale due to be aesthetically more appealing... perhaps, though, a single barn building, one story with a larger footprint could possible be cheaper that a two story building with a smaller footprint? I can ask the builder about that.

Storing larger amounts of hay in lofts is really a last resort, not good for safety, it is a huge fire danger, or air quality.

Only if that is the only way you have to handle that, well, then you cope best you can.

3 members found this post helpful.

Holy cow. I priced out a 30 x 40 pole barn, installed, engineer certified for winds up to 130 mph for ~$10k. I guess you could figure out a way to spend $15k on stall walls and rafters, roofing materials are expensive, but that seems like a bit much.

Are you certain you want a loft? Getting the hay UP there is no simple feat. Every year.

We built our 2 stall, bare bones, shedrow style barn for just over $1000. So yeah, $25K seems high to me!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

1 members found this post helpful.

Texarkana, will you post pictures of your 2 tall barn? Also, did you build it or have it done? Do you have plans?

wildlifer, do you have the plans or can you describe the barn in more detail? The estimates do not include fancy stall doors (just plain dutch doors) or any other fancy accessories that I can tell. The estimates also don't include water or electric or the site work. The only ways I have thought to bring down the cost are to replace stairs to the loft with a ladder, and to eliminate the 6' overhang I had planned for over the stall entrances. I am not married to a loft.

Two summers ago I put up a 24x36' barn with loft for hay storage (3' knee wall up there for more room for hay).

My boyfriend built it, so no labor costs involved (well, no cash anyways! )

The conrete slab was $5000 (the stalls are not concrete, those are stone topped with sand and then rubber mats)

The rest of the materials from the lumber to the screws to the roofing was about $12,000 to finish the barn.

It's very basic, no wash stall or feed room etc.

As you look at the barn on the short end, down the left side is a 12x12 tack room, then two 12x12 stalls. The right side is a 12' wide aisle for the length of the building. Very basic.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    We built our 2 stall, bare bones, shedrow style barn for just over $1000. So yeah, $25K seems high to me!
    It is hard for me to see how this is possible . . . a run-in shed with (presumably) those dimensions around here is over $4,000. I just bartered with a boarder's husband to build a 40 x 12 run-in and the (cheap, tarpaper) roofing materials alone were almost $1,000. I'm in an expensive area, but even in a cheap area $1,000 for a barn seems impossible. Good for you Texarkana for somehow achieving that!

Thank you, Sucker. The last estimate I got was 14k for materials and 11k of labor at $34 per hour, so the materials sound comparable to your barn. From your experience, do you have any suggestions on cutting materials costs?

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    It is hard for me to see how this is possible . . . a run-in shed with (presumably) those dimensions around here is over $4,000. I just bartered with a boarder's husband to build a 40 x 12 run-in and the (cheap, tarpaper) roofing materials alone were almost $1,000. I'm in an expensive area, but even in a cheap area $1,000 for a barn seems impossible. Good for you Texarkana for somehow achieving that!
    I am currently roofing a 24' x 24' garage with a 16 x 8 foot lean to and my material cost is around $1200. Mid-range shingles you get at Menards--so nothing fancy. The actually cost is much higher with all of the roof decking we replaced and the fact we ended up practically redoing the lean to (it's always fun to see what's going on under a couple layers of shingles). The new roof is shingles. Steel roof was more expensive. We are doing the labor ourselves.

So I also don't understand how a 2 stall shed row barn could only run $1,000, but I would like to be educated! That's on the list as well... I'm guessing some of the materials were already owned??
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by geog272 View Post
    Thank you, Sucker. The last estimate I got was 14k for materials and 11k of labor at $34 per hour, so the materials sound comparable to your barn. From your experience, do you have any suggestions on cutting materials costs?
    I bought everything at Home Depot. They were the cheapest place for materials and I called EVERYONE around to make sure I was really getting the cheapest price, and they even delivered it.

I also purchased things for the interior used - stall doors, tack room door, etc. I didn't need it to be "brand new," just finished and usable. So, the tack room door is a recycled interior door from our house, the stall doors were found and purchased via Craigslist, same with the windows & grills for the stalls. I wasn't picky about small details, and preferred to save money instead.

I should get around to taking some pictures now that it's more "finished," although since the carpenter is also my boyfriend, it's a work in progress (for example, the hay barn door on the front of the barn upstairs, where the hay elevator ships the hay in, isn't finished, it's just a piece of plywood screwed into the doorway after we load the upstairs in the summer. This summer's project is to build and hang a door up there).

Okay, I have an album, but there are a lot of duplicate type photos, and no pictures of the "finished" state, but it gives you an idea.

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/ago...y/Horse%20Barn

I get sweaty palms looking at the photos...my boyfriend is the crazy @)#$*! on the top leaning out over the edge, standing on the staging, finishing off the roof.

ETA: Apparently the photos are in no apparent order of things...sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Okay, I have an album, but there are a lot of duplicate type photos, and no pictures of the "finished" state, but it gives you an idea.

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/ago...y/Horse%20Barn

I get sweaty palms looking at the photos...my boyfriend is the crazy @)#$*! on the top leaning out over the edge, standing on the staging, finishing off the roof.

ETA: Apparently the photos are in no apparent order of things...sorry!
    Thank you! The pictures are neat -- and I am so jealous of your fields and dirt road.

Stall doors and accessories from craigslist are a great idea.

I think you'd do better with a single story barn with a bigger footprint, if you can afford to give up the space. According to my barn guys (and this is a couple of years ago) if you wanted to do just about everything to "fancy up" your building, you could take their base price which (as I recall) was about $12K on a 36x40 and double it. I didn't do that myself, but I did get concrete, small tack room and 4' kickboards around a good portion of the barn and kept it under the double mark pretty easily. I think when you add a loft, you're going to be adding a lot of structural stuff that will probably make the cost go up pretty drastically.

I do store my hay in the barn, but it's on the floor - I've got a large open bay for hay storage and it works well. Easy to get hay into (12' aisle so we can back a truck in) and no fines filtering down from above.

My Barn is most likely not what you would want anywhere other then in Florida but........I got one of those metal carports and built stalls in it. Its 16x24 12ft high. I have two stalls odd size 12x11 because I wanted more isle way. It works for me and my guys. It was a total of 2200.00 I had a line rock pad and the pro installed in then I put the stalls in. I have had it for 7 yrs and 3 hurricanes and one close tornado and it has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by SCM1959 View Post
    Texarkana, will you post pictures of your 2 tall barn? Also, did you build it or have it done? Do you have plans?
    Of course! Like I said, it's nothing fancy and very bare bones.

The $1000 barn

Inside with 4' wall dividing stalls

Forgive the pictures-- it's unpainted and unfinished as of yet, the paint and trim is in the garage, just need it to stop raining long enough!

My husband designed it himself, but it's basically a modified version of this plan we found online:

http://www.lsuagcenter.com//NR/rdonl...ableStable.pdf

We reduced the stall size to 10'x12' to save on cost. Obviously we cut out some other things, too, like dutch doors and windows with grates, but all that can be added later.

Materials were mostly all new from Lowe's. My husband and myself did all the labor in a month of weekends.

If we could do it over, there's a few things I'd change, but all in all it's functional and will serve our purposes until we can afford that dream barn.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

geog -- I used something like this website:

http://www.diypolebarns.com/kits/

I do not remember exactly which company but they seem to all fall in the same ballpark. It was just the barn with one set of sliding doors at the end and I included having a builder come do it (I could but dang I already bust my tail at work, I'm tired!). Very simple, but I planned on finishing out the rest over time myself.

For two horses, I could've EASILY not done a 3' knee wall upstairs, and still had a year's worth of hay up there.

The reason we wanted the space is because we hay those fields (~120 acres), and my parents can put any extra hay (above what I need for my horses) in the haybarn as well, and sell it over the winter.