The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default tb bloodline percentage?

This is for the breeders or anyone who pays attention... How much TB blood do you consider "it" for eventing these days???

I will have a foal coming next year (fingers crossed) and I finally settled on 75% TB and 25% Hanoverian. I can't wait to see the result!!!
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

1 members found this post helpful.

Considering that Andrew Nicholson's Quimbo is 29% blood, I'm figuring anything between 25% to 100% should be fine.

I'm starting to believe that it is much more important that the brain between the ears be able to handle dressage, hooves are quick and catty for the jumping and the fitness work is properly done...

It depends. It is more than just the number. It is also the type. A horse can by type have a lot of blood traits and yet their percentage is only 50 or 60. Others can be heavy in type and have more than 70% blood.

So for me I look at the numbers but care far more as to what type of horse the mare and sire tend to produce. For me, I have more luck with the dam being the type I want and then breeding to sires that compliment the mare and do not produce tanks. If I can see the dam of the sire, even better. I don't like sires out of too heavy of a dam either...but I do look mostly at the offspring the sire has. I know what my mares bring to the equation (other than my maiden mare). I don't breed a ton but I have a few--and been pleased with all of them so far.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

The mare I am breeding is full TB and she is actually my event mares daughter. She is a maiden and has an injury that prevents her from jumping. So it is kind of a gamble. But She is quite large and uphill, more modern looking anyways.

Im excited either way. This is the first foal for me and it shoudl give me an idea of what I need to breed to next time if this foal isn't what im looking for
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

There are always freaks in every sport--outliers we now call them. But as the FEI keeps screwing with eventing, it'll be interesting to see if the outliers move into the norm.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_007 View Post
    The mare I am breeding is full TB and she is actually my event mares daughter. She is a maiden and has an injury that prevents her from jumping. So it is kind of a gamble. But She is quite large and uphill, more modern looking anyways.

Im excited either way. This is the first foal for me and it shoudl give me an idea of what I need to breed to next time if this foal isn't what im looking for
    Should be fun. Picking out the match is always fun....and hard at the same time. Sometimes I feel like just throwing a dart at the wall Who did you pick as a sire?

I'm only breeding two mares this year. And one is a maiden as well. One I'm breeding for dressage/re-sale. But my maiden TB mare I'm breeding for eventing...crossing her with Grafenstolz. It is also a bit of a gamble but I have a 2012 colt (well now gelding) out of my other TB mare by Graf and liked what he brought to the table with her...and how he seems to stamp his offspring that I think he will cross well with this mare as well. Always a bit more of a gamble with the maidens! But I'm not worried about the percentage of blood with a TB mare...and a sire that throws a very modern type.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Default TB%

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    Considering that Andrew Nicholson's Quimbo is 29% blood, I'm figuring anything between 25% to 100% should be fine.

I'm starting to believe that it is much more important that the brain between the ears be able to handle dressage, hooves are quick and catty for the jumping and the fitness work is properly done...
    As far as I can find, Quimbo's grand dam (in the mare line) is unknown. I don't believe you can definitively say Quimbo is 29% TB, he is somewhere between 29% and 54%.

There are always freaks in every sport--outliers we now call them.
    Absolutely. The average %TB for all 4* finishes since 2006 is 76%, only 12% of finishes are below 50%TB blood. So, if Quimbo is actually 29%TB he is an outlier. As a breeder I believe it is prudent to avoid breeding outliers in order to increase your chance of success. Remember, riders have the luxury of evaluating a horse already going which makes finding the outliers much easier.

It depends. It is more than just the number.
    This. There are a lot of types within breeds. WBs for dressage are different than WBs for jumpers, timber racers are different than flat racers...

Vic_007: Sounds like you are on the right track with your breeding decision, best of luck and enjoy your foal!

I am breeding her to a Young stallion named vantage. He is unproven, but from the Voltaire lines and he has a good jump.

It's a relatively safe and conservative breeding, I'm not experienced in AI and I am not sure what my mare will produce, but her dam was my eventer and she is awesome. The maiden I have has whiskey wisdom and ascot knight in her bloodlines so im hoping that plus the Voltaire influence gives me something good.

Either way I am just excited to see what I get. I've liked the foal pics of vantage babies so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wits End Eventing View Post
    As far as I can find, Quimbo's grand dam (in the mare line) is unknown. I don't believe you can definitively say Quimbo is 29% TB, he is somewhere between 29% and 54%.
    I didn't actually do the math, just reporting back from what horsetelex.de calculated:

http://www.horsetelex.com//horses/pedigree/1529105

Looking at the top 5 badminton finishers:
    Clifton promise- 100% tb
    Sam - 76%
    Nereo - 52%
    Opgun louvo - 83%
    Parklane hawk - 100%

Seems fair to conclude that blood would be useful at badminton, but again rideability becomes the deciding factor. Many 100% TBs just can't cut it so looking at strict percentages is not going to provide a great predictor of future success.

And let's not forgot Wega, the stunning 54% Swedish warmblood:
    http://www.horsetelex.nl/horses/pedigree/1505866

She did not look as though that twisty Olympic course would do her any favors... But boy did she make it look effortless!

I am breeding her to a Young stallion named vantage. He is unproven, but from the Voltaire lines and he has a good jump.
    Good luck! The Voltaire line does really pass the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Good luck! The Voltaire line does really pass the jump.
    Agreed. Mine also has a fabulous gallop - not sure if came from the granddaddy or somewhere else, but very nice gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    Agreed. Mine also has a fabulous gallop - not sure if came from the granddaddy or somewhere else, but very nice gallop.

That I would think is from elsewhere. You have to watch out with the Voltaire line as I think they can be very clunky. Worth it for the jump if there are enough other lines that produce a more modern horse...but you do have to watch out for the "tank" factor. At least that is what I decided after my research.

That is great to hear! The mare in breeding has an old injury so she can't jump and she was a flop at the track. It's hard to know if it was the injury that factored into this. She is sound right now for dressage and is quite easy to ride.

Her dam is very fast and has a huge gallop so I'm hoping It will be passed down. I thought of breeding her but she is 18 and I just want to enjoy her while I can

Nice thread!! We currently have 50% and 75% and 100% TB mares. Our most outstanding youngsters are 75% TB - 25% Irish. We're keeping one of them for a future BM (sentimental reasons), but the other will be sold. THAT filly looks exactly like a pure TB, moves like a pure TB, but has the temperament of a puppy. At 23 months, she is often mistaken by visitors as a 3 or 4 year old. Another ISH mare we have is 30% TB, 25% Irish, 45% Paint we plan to breed her to our TB stallion this year. She has the type and enough TB blood to be a good sport producer. I think the lower level riders would appreciate a bit less TB blood and more of the Irish for temperament.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

[QUOTE=Vic_007;6999231] The maiden I have has whiskey wisdom and ascot knight in her bloodlines so im hoping that plus the Voltaire influence gives me something good.
    [QUOTE]

Sounds exactly like my 2005 mare--Whiskey Wisdom on top, Ascot Knight on the bottom. Don't plan to breed her because I'm having too much fun riding her but she is a gem. Good brain, brave and very nice gaits. I would take another or two or three any day.

I would love to see pics and hear more about her!!!!!

I would love to see pics and hear more about her!!!!!
    She never raced, we think she was broke and trail ridden a bit and then turned out in a field for a couple of years. She was my trainer's hunt horse (first fieldmaster) for a year--apparently a very good one--did a few events and then my other horse was out for an injury, so I started riding her and we clicked so I started leasing her and she was eventually given to me. I do low-level dressage with her--my limitations, not hers. I am hoping another rider will do some eventing with her this year.

I will have to get some current photos/videos. She is around 16.1, good bone, long backed and has big sweeping gaits. She has a great walk (a German dressage master told me she has a 9 walk), her canter has a lot of jump, and her trot is really coming along. She has muscled up a lot this winter. Her dam has been bred to a few warmbloods and I think was approved but I don't have any details. The dam had one other TB foal by Kinshasa, looks just like my girl, and a friend has her.

My girl's pedigree
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/radiant+wisdom

You don't happen to have this one, by any chance? I think she is still on the track.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/whiskey+romance

My mare is 37 1/2% TB but 25% Friesian, 25% Belgium so we have draft to overcome. The TB has most definitely helped but it is not enough to overcome the draft obstacles. She will be great for me though as we are going to be doing low level stuff anyway......and she is really purdy!!

Here's my mares pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/itsnotenought

Vesper- your mate sounds great! Gotta love the ascot influence, my older mare vicbrenan has hunted with me first field, I think she would like to be the hint master lol I had a hard time keeping her behind the master

Here's my mares pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/itsnotenought

Vesper- your mate sounds great! Gotta love the ascot influence, my older mare vicbrenan has hunted with me first field, I think she would like to be the hint master lol I had a hard time keeping her behind the master
    Love the pedigree! Size and colour? Pix?

My girl also fills in occasionally for lessons with handicapped riders and beginners: she is very well behaved but we have to be careful because she actually bounced off a rider when he asked her to trot while the instructor wasn't looking--not her fault because I've been cultivating the big, forward trot.

Sorry, the best confo. photos I have:
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...66715662_n.jpg

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...126743_o-1.jpg