The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Am I just super stressed out? Or is something wrong

I have a history of anxiety disorders and panic attacks. My triggers are uncomfortable social situations (or any "new" social situation) and anything negative that happens to my horses. I've had them as long as I can remember and have learned to cope without meds. I've been good for several years.

But last Friday a boarder had to put her horse down. I was there the entire time, and I was close to the horse, it was heartbreaking. Then the following Tuesday morning my gelding acted sick/colicky, I had to treat him from Tuesday-Friday. Today is the first day I feel comfortable he won't spike another fever. I've also had to deal with end of semester exams, renters moving out/in, and general anxiety about my summer job.

Last night I went home and felt like I couldn't breathe, felt sick to my stomach, and very jittery/anxious. Tried to sleep and had muscle spasms/twitching for several hours before I finally dosed off. I also kept experiencing that jolting feeling when you're just about asleep and then startled awake. I was very anxious nervous most of the night but once I was able to calm myself down the muscle spasms mostly stopped and I slept for a few hours. Today is more of the same, panicky tightness in chest (I recgonize this as an anxiety response because I've had this before), muscle spasms, racing mind, etc.
    Of course now I'm worried that I have something seriously wrong which is making me worse/more worried and just building panic. Has anyone experienced something like this? No one seems to care, they either say it's nothing or I should go to the E.R.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

My mom gets panic attacks/anxiety attacks occasionally. She says they are scary and she thinks something is really wrong and she's dying.

If you know you have a history of them, then I would assume that it what is happening. Maybe try taking some Melatonin before bed. Also meditation, and walking briskly (not at the same time obviously!) can help.

One trick someone I know used to use, when it happened at work was to put both hands under her desk, and try to lift up. Slowly let out your breath with an open mouth when releasing. Repeat for about 30 sec each time, so you do that about 10 times. The muscular tightening, then releasing seemed to get rid of some tension/anxiety.

My mom gets the anxiety / panic attacks too. Before she knew what it was she was hospitalized several times, as her Docs thought she was having a heart attack or a ruptured aorta because of her symptoms!

Homeopathy might be worth a try. Coffea Crudea, or Gelsemium.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Homeopathy might be worth a try. Coffea Crudea, or Gelsemium.
    Heee heee heeee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

2 members found this post helpful.

What's your health insurance situation? What you're going through sounds to me like very bad anxiety, but not a doc so I can't give you the reassurance you need. If you could get to urgent care today they could check your vitals and make sure nothing insidious is going on so you don't worry and maybe give you a few days worth of anti-anxiety/sleeping pills to break the cycle.

Sending good thoughts to you. I've been there, and it sucks. Anxiety can make you feel like you're about to die or the world is coming to an end. After a friend passed away, for about six weeks I felt like something terrible was going to happen, and was in a constant state of panic despite being safe and healthy. A few days worth of Ativan broke that cycle for me, and I was able to relax and start to grieve normally and keep functioning.

With all of those events I would worry if you didn't feel rotten. You are sleep deprived (and there's a reason sleep deprivation is called torture), probably haven't been eating properly, and have every stressful event happen in a very short time. You just need rest, decent food, and to do something you enjoy, even if that's just reading a book or vegging out on the couch for a while.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

I see Lyme disease everywhere, but is it a possibility? Lyme can be at the root of pretty serious panic/anxiety disorders. Just a thought. You might want to get a full physical...it could be anything or nothing. Counseling can be very effective for anxiety/panic as well.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

This sounds very much like what I experience when I have a panic attack. Before I was on medication (and even after when under extreme stress, but to a lesser degree), I could have panic attack symptoms that would last for days. I had the same fears that something serious was going on. I would feel slightly better when I was up and about, and worse when I laid down or tried to sleep.

I would recommend going in to the doctor to talk about potential solutions. Sometimes a prescription for an "as-needed" anti-anxiety medication can be a life-saver. It's there when you need it, but you don't have to rely on it on a daily basis. Ativan (lorazepam) is sometimes the only thing that will calm me down and allow me to sleep when I'm under extreme stress.

Other things that have helped me are listening to piano music and focusing on taking deep, long breaths. Try to make the exhale last as long as the inhale.

Good luck. Anxiety is a horrible thing to cope with. :-(

This obviously isn't something that can be diagnosed over the internet. If it will lessen your anxiety to get checked out to make sure it isn't a problem then you should do that. Don't diagnose for them, tell them your symptoms and let them reach a diagnosis on their own.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    This sounds very much like what I experience when I have a panic attack. Before I was on medication (and even after when under extreme stress, but to a lesser degree), I could have panic attack symptoms that would last for days. I had the same fears that something serious was going on. I would feel slightly better when I was up and about, and worse when I laid down or tried to sleep.

I would recommend going in to the doctor to talk about potential solutions. Sometimes a prescription for an "as-needed" anti-anxiety medication can be a life-saver. It's there when you need it, but you don't have to rely on it on a daily basis. Ativan (lorazepam) is sometimes the only thing that will calm me down and allow me to sleep when I'm under extreme stress.

Other things that have helped me are listening to piano music and focusing on taking deep, long breaths. Try to make the exhale last as long as the inhale.

Good luck. Anxiety is a horrible thing to cope with. :-(
    I have a panic disorder and am medicated. I also have Lorazapam to use if I can't sleep- I was never a good sleeper to begin with. A friend of mine with anxiety issues and occasional panic attacks has a script for Xanax and she says that it certainly stops that panic attack in it's tracks.

Don't bother trying to talk to people who have never had a panic attack about having panic attacks. My experience has been they just don't get it.

3 members found this post helpful.

It seems like a panic attack. To be honest they probably wouldn't be able to do much about it in the ER except for some lab work and maybe some meds to calm you down for a short period of time.

Of course if you feel like you need to be seen then don't hesitate to go to the ER. But from what you describe it sounds like something that could be handled with a regular doctor visit. They may be able to put you on some longer term medications that keep you feeling less anxious.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

For me, yes it was not just anxiety. I wish I would have known anxiety was secondary 10 years ago. I got fixed up and no more of that anxiety.

Get a complete checkup. Even if its anxiety, stress takes such a toll that you need to make sure everything is stable and as it should be. (ie- BP, weight, Vitamin D, iron, hormones, etc).

Anxiety is not something to suffer with. I didn't take meds but I did find ways to deal with it. Diet is key for many people. No caffeine, sugar, etc.

If you have a trauma lasting for awhile (death of horse, major changes, family problems, etc) there is nothing wrong with seeing a therapist. Don't just suck it up, but understand its not forever.

Good luck.

4 members found this post helpful.

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

Get medical attention, I have PTSD and it did not get better until I went to a phychiatrist and got medicated. That was 10 yrs ago and I am 95% normal. I would start crying and shaking when I was in a restaurant or public place, it felt like I was hearing every conversation in the place at the same time. I could not tune out ANYTHING. I stayed in my parents home for 3 months until the meds started working. Only my horse and dogs could get me out in public.
    Help yourself get medical attention.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

also benedryl can provide fast relief if you can't see a doctor for a few days.
    anxiety sucks hugely, am feeling it pretty strongly myself atm.

Thanks everyone, you've helped to calm me down a bit haha. I kind of feel like my body is in a constant fight or flight response. I'm jumpy and anxious, racing mind, I get less twitchy when I can get myself to relax. I need a few good meals and some rest. Hopefully this is just anxiety and nothing more. I will probably make an appt with my doctor on Monday.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Hugs to you. You have a lot going on, and, as another who experiences anxiety/panic attacks, I can understand all too well how it feels. I'm glad to hear you plan to go to the doctor. Until then, take it easy on yourself. Treat yourself like you would treat your best friend if she or he were going through the same thing.

I have suffered from anxiety, and panic attacks, but never went so far as to seek medication. But, when talking to my family, I found out that my father and sister had also suffered from them. I wish I knew why, I think there must be a genetic component. It's interesting that only some people experience it, and it is worse in some than others. I always found that talking to people help me thru it - even if it was just the distraction. Good Luck!

I'm so glad this thread came up. I have anxiety too. It always makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one, and I hope that knowing that will do the same for you. When I can't keep my anxiety in check on my own, Ativan helps. It used to make me sleepy but now it just stops my mind from racing at 5 million miles an hour which is honestly just as good. Therapy helps a lot. I saw a therapist recently and it ended up being a very temporary thing (but very helpful). You might want to look into thyroid issues too (hypo or hyperthyroidism). I'm hypothyroid and the hormonal imbalance gave me severe anxiety. Might be worth looking into.
    Hugs! You're not alone in this OP!
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Quote Originally Posted by lpcutter View Post
    Get medical attention, I have PTSD and it did not get better until I went to a psychiatrist and got medicated. That was 10 yrs ago and I am 95% normal. I would start crying and shaking when I was in a restaurant or public place, it felt like I was hearing every conversation in the place at the same time. I could not tune out ANYTHING. I stayed in my parents home for 3 months until the meds started working. Only my horse and dogs could get me out in public.
    Help yourself get medical attention.
    I also have PTSD. I was diagnosed but didn't understand what that REALLY meant until I read No Comfort Zone http://www.amazon.com/No-Comfort-Zon...o+Comfort+Zone and related to so much of what the author wrote.

Besides medication and talk therapy, I would also recommend EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprogramming) and DBT (Dialectic Behavioral Therapy); these 2 therapies are both unbelievably helpful. Even if OP doesn't have PTSD, I would still recommend DBT for anxiety. There are 4 modules: Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation and Interpersonal Effectiveness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect...havior_therapy

You don't have to go anywhere to start it, though DBT groups are best. There are several good books and workbooks out there you can use. I used this workbook http://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Be.../dp/1572245131
    Last edited by Ride'emCO; May. 29, 2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Same subject, wrong thread. Still applies!
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Dont be afraid to accept you may need meds to keep it in check. It took my family 20yrs to accept that it was time i took meds. And be patient it may not end up with the first med working, for me i took paxil for 2yrs then it stopped working, in fact it made things worse for a bit as you cannot cut it cold turkey(withdrawl) i switched to cipralex which is a benzo taken 1x daily. I had to cut to 1/2 pill due to med interactions, but the dose is ok for maintinance with not alot of issue. If i have a bad day i can take a whole pill it is like long lasting ativan.

Im still neurotic but its managable!

What i do if im anxious: talk with friends! Have a couple who let me text them even if its 2am! They understand and help even if im not making sense, which i realize when im not rational. Read fanfiction for my favourite anime, god that keeps me occupied for hours! I even started writing one! Go on coth, facebook, play games on my iphone, after my laptop is repaired i can watch dbz episodes again!!! Oh listen to music and watch music vids!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!