The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    I think my barn of 35 qualifies as fairly large, with many on different supplements. Hmm, lets see, all but 3 horses supplements, I can keep in the feed cart, with enough for over a month. Just scoop on the run. The 3 on smartpaks, I can keep only a day or two at a time in the cart, and most of the time have to take seperate trips back to the feed room, and then to the trash. I almost want to give my boarders a discount NOT to use smartpaks.

All of the wells are a pain in the neck to open, and dump, without them exploding all over the place.
    When I was helping out at a barn for awhile, I found them much easier to use. We tried what it sounds like you do with the cart, but we could never get them all to fit, we would forget one, etc. Also, there were a lot of different workers doing the feeding. I was volunteering there because I didn't really have an opportunity for a paying job or an internship. It was the summer before I started med school, so I wanted to take it easy. I only did 2 mornings a week, the other ones were done by other people. Once someone rearranged the cart, and things got messy. When you have a lot of people working it's easier to have the SmartPaks doled out and clearly labeled for each horse. There are fewer mistakes and less calling to the BO, BM, etc.

However, I don't think it would be wrong for you to discount those who don't use SPs or charge extra for those who do if it's causing you more time/energy/space, etc. I think that would make perfect sense because it is an inconvenience that wouldn't be otherwise caused by using SmartPaks. I know a lot of barns charge a small fee for giving supps. Different barns have different styles of management, and though the client is the client, sometimes they have to bend to make it work too!

1 members found this post helpful.

Funny thing about supplements, with the right feed you may not need so many supplements. Daughters horse gets one supplement Finish line Total Control, and he looks great.

5 members found this post helpful.

Depends on who is doing the feeding, I guess, and maybe how the barn/feed room is organized. I've always made feed buckets up while standing in one place, then delivered to the stalls. When I was working in a boarding barn I loved the people who had Smartpaks, especially if they had 4 or 5 different supplements. So much quicker to peel & dump instead of opening and measuring out multiple things. Yes, it does make extra waste. But I felt like it saved time and in some situations makes it more likely for horses to get the proper amount of supplements every day.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
    Funny thing about supplements, with the right feed you may not need so many supplements. Daughters horse gets one supplement Finish line Total Control, and he looks great.
    Not if you read the smartpak catalog! If you aren't spending $100 on supplements, you're not doing enough for your horse!

11 members found this post helpful.

Total Control is a combination of 5 of Finish Line's supplements, so technically your daughter's horse gets quite a few supplements, they're just all wrapped up into one.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by huntereq1292 View Post
    Total Control is a combination of 5 of Finish Line's supplements, so technically your daughter's horse gets quite a few supplements, they're just all wrapped up into one.
    I should have said it better just one container not 5

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Not if you read the smartpak catalog! If you aren't spending $100 on supplements, you're not doing enough for your horse!
    Lol, no kidding! I might give a hoof sup if there's a foot issue that needs help (like Lucky's perpetual sand crack our farrier's finally fixed), if it's REALLY hot and miserable I add Finish Line Apple-a-Day for electrolytes, but generally I never see any evidence that I"m getting more for 101 supplements than expensive pee and poop.

I should have said it better just one container not 5
    But the point you were making in your first post was that a horse that gets the right feed doesn't need many supplements and yours is only on one, not that having just one container is better than having five containers.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    ROFL I did their little supplement calculator for my gelding and it was like $150+ per month. I literally laughed out loud.

He does have like every sterotypical thoroughbred problem ever but those needs can be addressed meaningfully (pads for his feet, extra feed for his ridiculous metabolism) for less than a bunch of powder.

Years ago I had a TB like that and I spent something like $160 a month on him alone in smartpaks. After I euthanized him I felt lost and said to my instructor that I guess I would start our pony on smartpaks since I didn't have to pay for them anymore for the gelding. She said, "Umm, she's not on them now and she's fine, how about giving yourself a little break?"...

Smartpaks have a little bit of kool aid in them. Yep, I drank it for a while too.
    Last edited by hundredacres; May. 27, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

5 members found this post helpful.

This thread makes me laugh! I never used the price match so I won't miss it. I buy from them when the price is the lowest, not sure if item will fit, or if it is a product I worry about defects or durability. I do use their smartpaks but only because the smartlytes are really cheap when they do their 25% off deal so I will buy a couple of months worth. My horse only gets the electrolytes in the hot months and then joint supplements that I buy through jeffers because I buy the cheap 100%pure glucose and MSM. I already give Legend instead of spending $40 on smartpaks joint supplement that I have no idea if it even works. I think it is way too expensive to use their stuff for everything.....

Quote Originally Posted by huntereq1292 View Post
    But the point you were making in your first post was that a horse that gets the right feed doesn't need many supplements and yours is only on one, not that having just one container is better than having five containers.
    And I said many not none. I have seen smartpaks with as many as 13 wells am and pm

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    If only they would get rid of their, well Smartpaks. Seriously, how much wasted packaging can you do for a tub of powder? Not to mention wasted feed room space, trips to trash, time peeling off seals, ...
    I weighed out the containers from the buckets and smartpak wells one month (posted the information on this forum some where, too lazy to go find it) and when all said and done there was not more plastic associated with the smartpak wells than there is in the bucket.

I am not sure why they take up more room in your trash unless you are not bothering to either recycle them or stack them. I guess I can see tossing them in randomly they would appear to take up quite a bit more room.

I personally prefer the smartpak wells to measuring from buckets every day. Easier storage in my feed room, I know the horse is getting the right amount and it is fresh. I find baggies really hard to deal with any time my hands are wet or cold, smartpaks are easy to open.

Thankfully there are options out there for everyone. If you do not like smartpaks you do not have to use them. If you do not like baggies, you do not have to use them, etc.

And I said many not none. I have seen smartpaks with as many as 13 wells am and pm
    What on earth were they getting?
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Anyone who doesn't like SmartPaks is welcome to not use them. But it's hardly necessary to condemn anyone for whom SmartPaks DO work. My horse is at a barn with at lesat 45 other horses, all under the auspices of different trainers. There are a number of people who feed on different days.

The ONLY way that I know my horse gets what she's supposed to get, and that I get what I pay for is to use SmartPaks. The people who feed aren't going to cart around 100 different buckets, and I'm not going to pay money for a bucket of supplements that might be fed to a different horse.

I understand if you don't want to use SmartPaks, but it's a good business model for a lot of us. And I personally find the Paks quite easy to open, even with heavy winter gloves. Nothing goes flying anywhere.

So maybe people don't need to be ridiculed for exercising their god given right to feed their horse whatever supplement they want to in whatever form works for them. Hmm?

7 members found this post helpful.

Once again, voicing of differing opinions becomes translated as ridicule. *rolls eyes*.

It's called an opinion. We all have them. No one is criticizng anyone for using them, only sharing their reason for or against. It's what we do on a BB.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry - but being accused of drinking SmartPak's kool-aid sounded like ridicule to me.

You can have a different opinion without belittling people and accusing them of being mindless cult followers who spend $100s on supplements because SmartPak tells them to and they're too dumb to know any better.

13 members found this post helpful.

LOL, sorry, I didn't realize some people are sooooo sensetive. Geezow.

Is there a full moon?

Well bless your heart.

4 members found this post helpful.

Back at ya .

2 members found this post helpful.