The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Smartpak doesn't price match anymore??????

I just called Smartpak to order an item that I had found online for a better price and the woman on the phone told me they don't do that anymore. I have to say that because of this I will definitely be making more of my purchases elsewhere. It saddens me a little because I love shopping with them and dealing with their wonderful staff. Unfortunately though at the end of the day for me it really comes down to who can offer me the best deal. While I understand that there could be multiple different motives for this I am still saddened by it.

I really hope this isn't just the first of many changes to come with regard to some of their other great policies like the satisfaction guarantee and free shipping for orders over $75. I can say that if those go away, I will be steering clear of them but I genuinely hope it doesn't come to that.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

I just noticed that they started posting on some items that they are the lowest price and not eligible for any additional discounts... Which is interesting as the two things I was looking at I can get for less. Kind of a bummer.

They haven't been doing it for a while. The romance with them is over for me anyway - once they started playing footsie with one of my least favorite horsemen in the world, I've stopped ordering from them. They won't miss me *shrug*....they'll be selling carrot sticks and magic halters soon enough.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by besttwtbever View Post
    It saddens me a little because I love shopping with them and dealing with their wonderful staff.

I really hope this isn't just the first of many changes to come with regard to some of their other great policies like the satisfaction guarantee and free shipping for orders over $75.
    These reasons are the reason WHY they aren't doing price match guarantees anymore...

..the money for the excellent customer service and the we'll-take-it-back-even-if-you've-used-it-for-three-years return policy has to come from SOMEWHERE, and it's not rock-bottom prices.

Me? I will GLADLY continue to pay their fair prices on certain objects (bridlework, breeches, etc) if I suspect that I might have to return them for product failure at some point. -cough- Ariat boots -cough-

24 members found this post helpful.

C'mon, they're the best around! And the cheapo deals keep other tack shops happy, so let them be.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't mind they they changed the policy. What irks me is that the change wasn't announced anywhere.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh boo. I just ordered DD's first helmet last week and paid more for it there than what Dover carries it for but didn't see the price-match thing and thought I was just being lazy. I did it through SmartPak though because of the free shipping and on Dover the helmet is one of their "premier products" so the "TENOFF" code couldn't be applied to it to technically cancel out shipping.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Default Hadn't heard that about SmarkPak and PP

Oh, no... really? BLECK. Very disappointing, indeed! You'd think they would realize that a large number of equestrians feel as we do, but I guess there is a larger number who have drunk the Kool-Aid.

5 members found this post helpful.

I thought they only priced matched when shipping was factored in? (Or at least that's what I was told the last time I asked).

Perhaps that has changed.

No, price matching is no longer done so they are able to do other things, like free shipping, free returns on sized items, satisfaction guarantee, etc.

The item I wanted was 40% less at State Line Tack of all places. I gave SmartPak the opportunity to price match but they declined.

I did recently get a Dover credit card to get an incentive discount on a saddle purchase. With their $4.99 shipping with their credit card, I will probably be buying more equine needs from them going forward.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would much rather pay full price for a product and have free return shipping, free shipping on sized items, etc. And they take back ANYTHING! I've had so many flops that I had to return and they always figured it out. Had a Baker sheet break after a couple weeks and they contacted Baker for me, paid for the shipping, and are having it replaced. They also offered to reimburse me for what it would cost to have it fixed at a repair shop (but the buckle was broken and I didn't know where to get that fixed). I don't think price matching is that big of a deal. Usually it's within $10-$20 anyways.

8 members found this post helpful.

I still love SmartPak and I'm willing to pay a little for great customer service - which is easy to forget about until you get crappy customer service somewhere else.

19 members found this post helpful.

Matters to me not one bit---I'd rather deal with them over Dover any. day. of. the. week.

That said, I'll support Dover if I'm near one of their stores and can go in person, but for practically everything else, I'm all Smartpak. I've had some doozies of "problems" before and their staff is so far beyond excellent....cheerful, concerned and happy to get me whatever I need to make the situation right. Love them. They'd have to do an awful lot to make me not love them!
    Katie Gardner ~ Otteridge Farm
    Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Otteri...12757628746926

Quote Originally Posted by keatssu View Post
    I still love SmartPak and I'm willing to pay a little for great customer service - which is easy to forget about until you get crappy customer service somewhere else.
    This. My barn still laughs about the Great Blanket Assassination of 2011... I didn't realize that killing a blanket so thoroughly was possible until my gelding managed to reduce his to ribbons. It was completely my horse's fault, so I left a review that suggested not using it for horses that were hard on blankets. Smartpak proactively contacted me to find out what happened, and offered to give me credit for the item. It wasn't their fault, so I really didn't expect them to fix it, but they did. I will happily pay full price for that kind of service.

14 members found this post helpful.

I also wish they had announced the change to no price matching. I prefer to use them first before going to anyone else.
    I have had the Dover card for a couple or so years. What they don't tell you is that the reduced shipping is S L O W. I received two SmartPak orders before a single Dover order. The Dover order was even placed a week or so before the SmartPak order was! LOL So, don't use Dover if you need something quickly.
    SmartPak still has one of the best overall customer service departments ever!!
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    If only they would get rid of their, well Smartpaks. Seriously, how much wasted packaging can you do for a tub of powder? Not to mention wasted feed room space, trips to trash, time peeling off seals, ...

I'm sure many people would beg to differ. In a large barn where many horses are on many different, complicated supplement regimens it can be very helpful.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    I'm sure many people would beg to differ. In a large barn where many horses are on many different, complicated supplement regimens it can be very helpful.
    And it's much easier to tell my non-horsey husband to grab a Smartpak for _____ than it is to try and tell him how much of each supplement for each horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    And it's much easier to tell my non-horsey husband to grab a Smartpak for _____ than it is to try and tell him how much of each supplement for each horse.
    Or you can just make up a couple of baggies for hubby .

I hate the wells. When I had boarders and had 6 horses on SP's, my trash/recycle was overflowing and there were piles of packaging to deal with on a daily basis - I hated it. One horse is not a big deal.

I've never had terrible customer service anywhere else - Dover, VTO, Equus Now, Valley Vet, KV Vet, Bit of Britain....they're all great. None of them promote Clinton Anderson and his ridiculous training cult, so it makes me feel better shopping with them rather than Smartpak.

4 members found this post helpful.

Smartpaks I found were great on the road at shows. But not in the barn, more of a pain.

All of the feedback specifically about SmartPaks vs a bucket of the supplement has been helpful. I always figured it'd be so much easier to have the SmartPaks and was so apologetic when I got an 8lb bucket of a supplement (because it was actually much more cost effective) and felt so guilty about the hassle of adding another step to the feeding process after all that they already do out at the barn. Now I don't feel so bad. and hers is a superfine (think confectioners sugar) powder that goes everywhere.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?