The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Golf anyone??

It seems that Saskatchewan's own Graham DeLeat is sitting second in the Crowne Plaza Tournament at Colonial in Ft Worth. While I don't know the kid, I do know his parents reasonably well, so am going to TRY to stay awake for this tournament just to see how he does. I have fingers crossed for him simply because he is kinda local.

For the record, I normally despise watching golf and I don't play. I was a master golfer on the old NES system and am reasonably good on most of the computer games but on the real course, I am less than impressive and seem to direct balls directly into the water, even on holes that have none........I managed, on one of my feeble attempts. to hit the ball into the creek from a hole that was well away from it. Of course, I had no business even THINKING I could manage a CPGA course but everyone else managed not to hit almost every ball down into that damnable coulee and into the water.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

The only golf tournament I ever watch is the RBC Heritage. It's in my hometown and it's nice to see some familiar sights from 2000 miles away.

FWIW I grew up on a 12 mi. island with 52 golf courses. I never got into it but I did enjoy driving the cart around and drinking beer.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Me, I enjoy watching and ATTEMPTING, to play, just like everything the Pros make it look so easy even when they mess up. It is very challenging and frustrating.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Oh lord, I HATE golf! I only have the attention span for about 9 holes of mini-golf, even. After that I get bored and start smacking balls any which way. Golf on TV is even more boring and it lasts FOREVER.

I spent an entire day on the course once with my then-SO, his buddy, and another non-golfing female. She and I entertained ourselves by racing the carts and playing chicken with trees. I was so ready to leave when we were done.

I prefer faster-paced activity, which is probably one reason I've never really enjoyed dressage.

I work at a golf resort.... Golf all day long (watching it, talking it, etc). Played more golf before I started working at a course!
    I don't mind it, took lessons in high school and beginner golf in college. I really like going to practice ranges and bumming around hitting whatever club I feel like for however long I want. I love the course add it changes in spring and fall, and where I work is particularly gorgeous. But most of the time, I tire of chasing a ball through hill and dale, forest and stream... And it is still hard after these years to not look at a green expanse of fairway and think.... Damn, that'd be a fun cross country course.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

+2 here. I also work on clubs.

I fell asleep again!!!ROFL BUT I did see one shot that was certainly worth watching. Don't remember who, but tee shot right smack into a large puddle......er water hazard. Going to try to watch tomorrow since DeLaet is still sitting second.

I did find that I didn't have the patience to play golf and was limited in clubs as womens' left handed clubs are slightly scarcer than hen's teeth and mens' lefty clubs are only slightly more common than hen dentition. In reality, the whole premise is ridiculous - you take a ball, hit it with a stick, hunt for the ball, hit it with another stick until you get the ball into a hole with a flag in it, and repeat for hours. I may have to try the cart driving and beer drinking though...sounds like fun!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles