The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Day 343 and still no signs of impending birth. Update she waited till day 28:)

First time breeder in a long time (10 years) and maiden mare is at 343. My vet told me not to worry, that she will foal when she is ready. Even made a joke and said "Labor Day" So not funny. She has a slight bag but not much more. She seems happy and peaceful. Likes to sleep a lot at night. Argh. Official due date is today. When should I start to really go into panic mode? Vet said to call him in June if she hasn't had it by then. Guess my mare forgot to get the memo that I like to be on a schedule!

Well maiden mare gave birth at 630 am today. She bagged up over night, was streaming milk at 3am and then broke out in a sweat at 6. I finally got to see a birth. Way cool! Mama and baby are great! Thanks guys! One more question: I'm boarding the mare and foal and of course everyone wants to play/see foal. I did nicely ask the small group to respect mother and foal for a few days till they figure things out. Should I limit interaction with the foal?
    Last edited by kiwifruit; May. 28, 2013 at 07:03 PM.

We had one go 376 days this year !!! Didn't really progress until the last 3 days! Test her milk so you aren't awake for weeks.
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    When should I start to really go into panic mode?
    When and if you mare seems in distress. Mares routinely go over 340 days and there's nothing to worry about. Be strong!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Panic mode is about day 420.

2 members found this post helpful.

Mares do not have a "due date". Normal gestation in horses ranges from 320-370+ days although most foal between 330 -345 days.

"Is my mare overdue?" by Jos Motterhead

I had one go 360 days this year. Hang in there!

No need to panic. As Dawn J-L mentioned, there is no such thing as an actual "due date" for a mare...only a guideline, which can vary year to year and foal to foal. Here is a great article on the subject. http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a.../overdue.shtml
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

My maiden mare looked not even remotely interested in foaling anytime soon on day 339 (to the point that I was stressing about finding somebody to watch her while I was at a show the following week). Came home on day 340 and her bag was slightly larger, so I tested, 6ph! Day 341 we had a baby They can change quickly! Maidens can be especially tricky. Milk testing is your friend. Hang in there!
    Last edited by Dressage_Diva333; May. 25, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I don't even begin to think long gestation until after day 360. Many, many mares foal in the 350's.

Thanks guys. It seemed so less stressful years ago

Do you know your mares foaling history? Mine had three exactly at 365 days so when she started bagging up around 280 I knew there was a problem. I have read some mares are fairly consistent about length of gestation so knowing that can be very helpful.

Our only maiden this year went 363 days. Don't worry - she'll get there when she gets there.

Hate to steal your thunder, but we are at 395 days today! And barely starting to bag up. I do NOT WANT A RECORD! Her pasture mate (bred 2 months later) is going to foal any day now (thought last night would be it, she was starting to lay down and strain, but just stage 1), so maybe that will encourage her...

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Hate to steal your thunder, but we are at 395 days today!
    I would cry......

Quote Originally Posted by ticofuzzy View Post
    I would cry......
    I'm more than a little frustrated. Hoping we have a team foaling (with pasture mate) tonight. Or tomorrow. Mares!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Hate to steal your thunder, but we are at 395 days today! And barely starting to bag up. I do NOT WANT A RECORD! Her pasture mate (bred 2 months later) is going to foal any day now (thought last night would be it, she was starting to lay down and strain, but just stage 1), so maybe that will encourage her...
    Oh man. That IS torture! Sending lots of good foaling vibes your way. I think I would have to be locked up in the looney bin by that time.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    Oh man. That IS torture! Sending lots of good foaling vibes your way. I think I would have to be locked up in the looney bin by that time.

Me, too.

MysticOakRanch, I sure hope that mare foals soon for you!

Wait. How did she get from day 343 to day 28? Congrats regardless!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    One more question: I'm boarding the mare and foal and of course everyone wants to play/see foal. I did nicely ask the small group to respect mother and foal for a few days till they figure things out. Should I limit interaction with the foal?
    I am very interested in the board's response to your question about foal having visitors and interaction/hubbub vs waiting a while.

Big Congrats - May 25th to May 28th sure beats Labor Day. Aren't pictures required when baby arrives.? Lol. Cheers.

Sorry! I was so excited! Meant the date I guess she went 348 days? It was touch and go in the beginning with nursing. She would squeal and kick at foal when he tried but a little sedation for mama and some alone time, all is good! Amazing creatures!